Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests

Political one liners

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Political one liners
Post by DDHv   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:11 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

http://personalliberty.com/walking-dead-obamacare/

Nearly every promise Obama made about Obamacare has turned out to be a flat-out lie.

Confusion is a feature of much modern politics. Is it because of confusion by those promoting specific policies, or is it outright fraud
:?:

http://personalliberty.com/capitalism-n ... ce-epipen/

So EpiPen maker Mylan is coming under the scrutiny of the congressweasels – although that scrutiny has been tempered by the revelation that Mylan’s CEO Heather Bresch is the daughter of Senator Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.).

Also:
The FDA’s rules require companies with competing injectors to exceed the specifications required by Mylan, and so far the FDA has killed or stymied almost every potential competitor that’s come along.

Also:
In fact, government meddles in the price of everything through the obscene regulatory structure, the tax structure, via subsidies and price supports and corporate welfare, all of which drive up the prices of products and services.

What would be wrong with just allowing competitors to compete? Of course, then the politicos couldn't extort; ah, that is; request bribes; ah, that is; campaign money from their partners in crime; ah, that is; cronies
:twisted:

BTW, the cost in Canada for equivalents, at about U$100, is a fraction of the US Mylan charged price. Anyone who wants to, might chime in re prices elsewhere.

A number of fiction writers have written dystopias based on problems caused by fascist governments: George Orwell and Ayn Rand come to mind immediately. I can't call to mind even halfway believable utopias with this background. Skilled authors are usually observant, although not always suggesting good solutions
;)
Last edited by DDHv on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Annachie   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:10 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Especially the one about the death panels. Oh wait ...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by DDHv   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:37 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

One reason that the concept of money so often violates common sense is that governments so often do crazy things with money.

:lol:

Politicians have trouble giving up the idea of something for nothing – it's such a vote-getter.
:roll:

From: http://constitution.com/isis-modern-day ... itlers-ss/

Adolf Hitler wrote:What good fortune for those in power that people do not think.

Someone commented that thinking is hard work, which is why most people don't do it. Today, checking things out is easier, but still work. A search on this phrase produced multiple references, but no exactness. A Joachim Fest is said to have reported it.

What counts most is not what you believe, but whether you have used a good means of testing that belief. This takes thinking
:!:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:27 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

DDHv wrote: Someone commented that thinking is hard work, which is why most people don't do it. Today, checking things out is easier, but still work. A search on this phrase produced multiple references, but no exactness. A Joachim Fest is said to have reported it.

No argument here. Just saying that critical thinking is a skill that needs development. Not a lot of people, in my experience (which may very well be vastly different from anyone else's), have either taken the time to develop it, or even been exposed to it in the first place. fault, undoubtedly of the educational system, at least initially.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:26 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

So... If I vote the straight Democrat ticket, is it a vote for the gay/lesbian candidates too?
Post by dscott8   » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:34 pm

dscott8
Commodore

WeirdlyWired wrote:So... If I vote the straight Democrat ticket, is it a vote for the gay/lesbian candidates too?

It's a vote for protecting their equal rights. From the Republican Party official platform on the GOP's web site:

Defending Marriage Against
an Activist Judiciary

Traditional marriage and family, based on marriage between one man and one woman, is the foundation for a free society and has for millennia been entrusted with rearing children and instilling cultural values. We condemn the Supreme Court’s ruling in United States v. Windsor, which wrongly removed the ability of Congress to define marriage policy in federal law. We also condemn the Supreme Court’s lawless ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, which in the words of the late Justice Antonin Scalia, was a “judicial Putsch” — full of “silly extravagances” — that reduced “the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Storey to the mystical aphorisms of a fortune cookie.”
In Obergefell, five unelected lawyers robbed 320 million Americans of their legitimate constitutional authority to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman. The Court twisted the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment
beyond recognition. To echo Scalia, we dissent. We, therefore, support the appointment of justices and judges who respect the constitutional limits on their power and respect the authority of the states to decide such fundamental social questions.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:45 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

dscott8 wrote:
WeirdlyWired wrote:So... If I vote the straight Democrat ticket, is it a vote for the gay/lesbian candidates too?

It's a vote for protecting their equal rights. From the Republican Party official platform on the GOP's web site:

Defending Marriage Against
an Activist Judiciary

Traditional marriage and family, based on marriage between one man and one woman, is the foundation for a free society and has for millennia been entrusted with rearing children and instilling cultural values. We condemn the Supreme Court’s ruling in United States v. Windsor, which wrongly removed the ability of Congress to define marriage policy in federal law. We also condemn the Supreme Court’s lawless ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, which in the words of the late Justice Antonin Scalia, was a “judicial Putsch” — full of “silly extravagances” — that reduced “the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Storey to the mystical aphorisms of a fortune cookie.”
In Obergefell, five unelected lawyers robbed 320 million Americans of their legitimate constitutional authority to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman. The Court twisted the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment
beyond recognition. To echo Scalia, we dissent. We, therefore, support the appointment of justices and judges who respect the constitutional limits on their power and respect the authority of the states to decide such fundamental social questions.

Remind me next time to use emojis So I don't get these rants back.

My least favorite Supreme court Justice of all times: Antoin Scalia.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The purpose of a government is to protect its citizens from those who would do them harm.

Some would deny two (or more) adults the freedom to declare that they are married.

Who are they trying to protect, and from what?

As far as I can tell, they are only protecting their own prejudices. That is not the government's job.

As I have said before:

The world is full of self-important self-righteous assholes tormented by a conviction that Somebody, Somewhere is Doing Something they don't approve of, and driven by a compulsion to Do Something About It At Any Cost.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:41 am

dscott8
Commodore

WeirdlyWired wrote:Remind me next time to use emojis So I don't get these rants back.

My least favorite Supreme court Justice of all times: Antoin Scalia.

Rant? Not so much. Two sentences of my response with a supporting quote. But if you like, I can rant at length about many subjects. :D :lol: :roll: :!:
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:45 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:The purpose of a government is to protect its citizens from those who would do them harm.

Publius, somewhere around Federalist Papers #10 [IIRC] Ultimately there are two classes of citizens: the haves and the have nots. It shall forever be the purpose of government to protect the property of the former from predation by the latter.

Which is pretty much the purpose of conservatism.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Politics