Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

Ukraine

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Ukraine
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am

namelessfly

AND WHAT % of the female population know that?

Grandma? Yes. Still a 4F

More importantly, has a better understanding of the emotional impact of deployment on family and some insight from first hand observation of her son.

RandomGraysuit wrote:
namelessfly wrote:Excellent point except the Quibble that the National Guard unit that Palin's son served in was deployed to Afghanistan. She wrote that Track was very embarrassed when she ended her speech at the deployment ceremony with a "Whooo Raahhh". The Alaska National Guard was also the only unit who decorated their barracks with photos of their Governor.

Good for him?

Among other reasons why he might have been embarrassed, "Hoorah" is a Marine thing. It's like bringing your grandmother to the Superbowl and she asks if the Yankees will be playing. "A" for effort, grandma.
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm

namelessfly

Crimea votes for independence, huray!!!!!!
Post by RandomGraysuit   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:03 pm

RandomGraysuit
Captain of the List

Ah, I see your point. And that gives her insights that obviously, no member of the current administration would understand.

As for what percentage of the female population would know that, I couldn't even begin to speculate.

My civilian wife would snicker at you if you tried using Marine memes to fit in around a bunch of soldiers though.

namelessfly wrote:AND WHAT % of the female population know that?

Grandma? Yes. Still a 4F

More importantly, has a better understanding of the emotional impact of deployment on family and some insight from first hand observation of her son.

RandomGraysuit wrote:
Good for him?

Among other reasons why he might have been embarrassed, "Hoorah" is a Marine thing. It's like bringing your grandmother to the Superbowl and she asks if the Yankees will be playing. "A" for effort, grandma.
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm

namelessfly

RandomGraysuit wrote:Ah, I see your point. And that gives her insights that obviously, no member of the current administration would understand.

As for what percentage of the female population would know that, I couldn't even begin to speculate.

My civilian wife would snicker at you if you tried using Marine memes to fit in around a bunch of soldiers though.

You have a wife?

RandomGraysuit wrote:
Good for him?

[/quote]
Post by biochem   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:13 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

RandomGraysuit wrote:Ah, I see your point. And that gives her insights that obviously, no member of the current administration would understand.

She gets added insight from having a member of her immediate family over there, someone who she can trust to tell her the real story not the filtered version that gets massaged to death before being passed up to Obama and Bush.

However, her insights would pale in comparison to the insights available to McCain, who also had a son serving in Iraq. First McCain has personal combat experience and thus can understand what his son is saying in the way no one who hasn't been there can. Second McCain comes from a military family, went to the Naval Academy, and served in Vietnam. While his best friends from those times are all long retired many of them will have sons/daughters/grandsons/granddaughters currently serving as military service tends to run in families. Insights from those contacts will be available to him as well. Perhaps not as trustworthy as those from his own son, but still free from the "massaging" that happens to official reports.

Biden's son's experience was in the JAG but still in country and would be very helpful, if I thought that Obama listened to Biden. I could be wrong but I get the impression that Biden is basically ignored by Team Obama.
Last edited by biochem on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by namelessfly   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:22 pm

namelessfly

Here is an interesting development:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... urmas-paet

These revelations from an intercepted phone call after the revelations from the intercepted call from State Department official Victoria Nuland raise some very disturbing questions about this situation.

We are absolutely certain that the new government in Ukraine was brought to power in a coup that overthrew the Constitutionally elected government.

We are also certain that the US and EU incited, enabled and supported this coup. No doubt there has been sophisticated technological support with untraceable cell phones and Internet posting capability similar towhat was supplied to Arab Spring protestors in Libya and Egypt.

Now we have reasonable suspicion that members or supporters of the interim Ukrainian government may have employed the snipers to escalate the violence and discredit the elected government.

I realize that most of the people on this forum are far to invested in the "Bush Lied, People Died" meme to question President Obama's actions and motives. At least Bush's motives and judgement were profoundly influenced by the 9-11 terror attacks. Bush also honored General Powell's "Pottery Barn" rule of "you break it, you buy it.". Obama is elated to allow the same NeoCons whose delusions about spreading democracy at bayonet point encouraged Bush's unfounded optimism about Iraq and Afghanistan to run around destabilizing one country after another (Tunisia, Libya, Syria, and now Ukraine) without any concern about the cosenquences or our inability to manage the chaos. Now this abject stupidity is bringing the US into a direct confrontation with Russia in Russia's back yard. The fact that the new Ukrania regime is dominated by oligarchs and Fascists aligned with Crimean Tartar and Chnyan Muslim terrorists should provoke skepticism about Obama's sanity.
Post by namelessfly   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:28 pm

namelessfly

My primary motivation for supporting Palin is her positions on energy policy combined with fiscal policy. Her ACES reforms that compelled the big oil companies to pay significant royalties then distribute a large fraction ofthose royalties to citizens has a profound impact on public attitudes about energy production. The US consumes about 20 million barrels of oil per day. If the US were to impose a severance tax of say $30 per barrel on domestic production and a $30 per barrel import duty, and similar tax structure on natural gas, then distributed a large fraction of the severance taxes to citizens, US voters would be motivated to make rational decisions about energy policy.

biochem wrote:

She gets added insight from having a member of her immediate family over there, someone who she can trust to tell her the real story not the filtered version that gets massaged to death before being passed up to Obama and Bush.

However, her insights would pale in comparison to the insights available to McCain, who also had a son serving in Iraq. First McCain has personal combat experience and thus can understand what his son is saying in the way no one who hasn't been there can. Second McCain comes from a military, went to the Naval Academy, and served in Vietnam. While his best friends from those times are all long retired many of them will have sons/daughters/grandsons/granddaughters currently serving as military service tends to run in families. Insights from those contacts will be available to him as well. Perhaps not as trustworthy as those from his own son, but still free from the "massaging" that happens to official reports.

Biden's son's experience was in the JAG but still in country and would be very helpful, if I thought that Obama listened to Biden. I could be wrong but I get the impression that Biden is basically ignored by Team Obama.
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:26 pm

namelessfly

Now the US is deploying mercenaries to Donetzk Ukraine.
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

"Over half of the British public support sanctions against Russia, but many will only support them if the sanctions don't hurt the UK economy"

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/03/06/public-support-russia-sanctions/

Thinking of our wallets, then. :shock:

Mike.
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:07 pm

namelessfly

Michael Riddell wrote:"Over half of the British public support sanctions against Russia, but many will only support them if the sanctions don't hurt the UK economy"

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/03/06/public-support-russia-sanctions/

Thinking of our wallets, then. :shock:

Mike.

The incitement of the rioters who overthrew the Constitutionally elected government of Ukraine was motivated by financial interests. Ukraine has gas and oil reserves that can be accessed through fracking technology plus the piplines that were built to export Russiangas and oil.

This is a repeat of the Libyan revolution. The French and the Britishwere angry because Daffy Gaddaffy had given lucrative oil and gas contracts to the Chinese, so they incited a rebellion. When Gadaffy started kicking rebel asses, they conned Obama into taking down Libyan air defenses to impose a No fly Zone. The French and British then started flying close air support for the rebels without even warning the US.

Return to Politics