Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 25 guests

Republican party

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Republican party
Post by KNick   » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:03 pm

KNick
Admiral

During Montana's recent Congressional session, several Republican majority members voted with the Democrats to pass legislation needed by the state. They did so against the express orders of the leaders of the Republican Party. Not every "defecting" Republican agreed on every issue were this happened, but in every case it was only after both sides sat down and worked out a compromise without the leadership of either party being involved. Or perhaps I should say, without the Democratic leadership bringing a personal stake to the table. The only comment I've heard from the Dems leaders was that it was good to find people in the other party willing to work with them. They did not call it a victory of anything. The Republicans involved just called it a victory for common sense. Perhaps the Republican party is even more deeply divided than they realize and Washington should take note.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Re: Republican party
Post by Spacekiwi   » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

KNick wrote:During Montana's recent Congressional session, several Republican majority members voted with the Democrats to pass legislation needed by the state. They did so against the express orders of the leaders of the Republican Party. Not every "defecting" Republican agreed on every issue were this happened, but in every case it was only after both sides sat down and worked out a compromise without the leadership of either party being involved. Or perhaps I should say, without the Democratic leadership bringing a personal stake to the table. The only comment I've heard from the Dems leaders was that it was good to find people in the other party willing to work with them. They did not call it a victory of anything. The Republicans involved just called it a victory for common sense. Perhaps the Republican party is even more deeply divided than they realize and Washington should take note.

well, i havent heard of a democrat offshoot party like the republicans had with the tea party that actually got anywhere, so there probably is still some division in the republicans if some felt the tea party went too far, but the republicans not far enough for some things.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Daryl   » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

One area that US politics is superior to our Australian system is their propensity to cross the floor. If ours do it they will likely be expelled and disendorsed.
Post by pokermind   » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Our founders, as wise as they were missed, the growth of 'associations' or what we now call parties. The Roman republic fell as a result of parties not only calling their opponents traitors but executing them for it. The Roman republic was one guide for those who designed the US Government, nor did it prevent factions. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours horse trading and compromise is necessary for government to function. It is regrettable the parties have hardened into the winner loser no compromise mode in the US. It's a shame they did away with dueling to eliminate some of the dead wood in the 1820s.

It takes a brave man to buck the party leadership given the sanctions that can obtain. To paraphrase Sir Winston Churchill: Democracy is both the best and worst form of government. As governments are made of men & women expecting perfection is a wish doomed to failure.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by KNick   » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

KNick
Admiral

Daryl wrote:One area that US politics is superior to our Australian system is their propensity to cross the floor. If ours do it they will likely be expelled and disendorsed.

That is pretty much what happens here. It is just that it takes the form of lack of funding support from the central party campaign chest. As long as a politician can continue to raise money on his own without that help, he is OK. I could see where eventually the Republicans start fielding two candidates for each office, to compete against each other. It has become to complicated a world for either party to stake out a position that will please all of their party members. In fact, it has become very hard to find positions that please a majority of the party leaders, let alone members.
_

Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat May 04, 2013 9:37 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Do you have a link for the bills that they crossed the aisle for? I am wondering what the substance of what they were voting for.

Also curious about the senator filling the seat that comes up for election in 2014. He voted against the senate version of budget resolution that passed earlier this year (50-49).

I thought he voted against it (one of 4 Democrats to do so, needless to say 45 Republicans did as well) as a gambit to get elected then a week or so later said he wasn't going to run in 2014. Makes me very interested in the why's.

Enjoy your weekend,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
code duello (was: Republican party)
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Are you calling Alexander Hamilton "dead wood?"
What about Stephen Decatur?

They were the two most prominent Americans killed in
duels (that I can think of off-hand).

Howard "Map-addict" Wilkins

pokermind wrote:[snip - htm]
It's a shame they did away with dueling to
eliminate some of the dead wood in the 1820s.

[snip to eop]

Poker
Re: code duello (was: Republican party)
Post by pokermind   » Sat May 04, 2013 3:32 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Nope but, some of our current crop could use some weeding out ;) Hamilton's pistols were hair triggered causing him to miss his shot and Burr coolly aimed and fired. Kinda reminds one of Honor Harrington's duel with North Hollow.

Poker Image

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Are you calling Alexander Hamilton "dead wood?"
What about Stephen Decatur?

They were the two most prominent Americans killed in
duels (that I can think of off-hand).

Howard "Map-addict" Wilkins

pokermind wrote:[snip - htm]
It's a shame they did away with dueling to
eliminate some of the dead wood in the 1820s.

[snip to eop]

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by KNick   » Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 pm

KNick
Admiral

One of the things that struck me as important about the whole incident was the reactions of the two parties. The Democrats were very restrained about it, simply complimenting those who helped them pass important legislation as people who thought of the common good. By contrast, the Republicans vilified the members of their party who did so. The ones who voted for bills they thought were important just said it was necessary for both parties to work together. The stridency of the Republican leadership is what struck me as strange. The fact that members of their party voted the way their constituents wanted them to should be applauded, not vilified. The people who did what the people who elected wanted them to are the ones most likely to be reelected, not the ones who ignored them.
_

Return to Politics