Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Changing attitudes

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Changing attitudes
Post by KNick   » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:57 pm

KNick
Admiral

I have been trying for the last few days to figure out the best way to start this topic. A question recently came to mind regarding the changing attitudes toward women in Afganistan and India that have been making news. First it was the young girl who was shot for speaking out for education of women. Then came the reaction to the rapes in India. Both have drawn international attention. But the difference I noticed was the reaction of the governments of the countries involved. Both are taking serious interest in what has happened, proposing new laws and more strictly enforcing old ones.

The question in my mind is how much has the internet contributed to this change and how much is due to the rise in visibility of women in high government offices, starting with Margaret Thatcher and on through Ms. Merkel and Mrs. Clinton? Has the changing attitudes in America and Europe rubbed off on these countries and will it continue to spread?

Is the spread of technology to these countries helping or hurting efforts to reform? And is international attention a good thing or a bad thing in this case?

I need information from those out there to help me think this through.

PS. Another thought that came to me after the original post. How much has the rise of strong female protagonists in liturature (such as HH) done to advance this cause? It is not just in this genre that this is happening, after all. Strong female characters in almost all catagories of fiction are becoming more popular, as are strong leading actors in television and film.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Re: Changing attitudes
Post by kbus888   » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:56 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Hi KNick

I think that one of the most effective ways of combatting abuse and lawlessness in through publicity.

So, my vote for a major reason for change is the internet.

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Re: Changing attitudes
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

But is it causing change?

Or is it making people feel better about themselves?

Much like the US freed all those slaves after the ACW. How long did it take for "strange fruit" to stop showing up?

Look at the recent history in Iraq, Afghanistan and Egypt. Not seeing change or if it is in the wrong direction.

Sure we are hearing more about it but that is just because we actually have people there. But I distinctly remember a survey for Iraq that said women were treated better under Sadam than now.

Not saying it wasn't needed as anyone who publishes the fact that they will support a homicide bomber is an enemy and should be treated as such. Rough on that countries people. Surprise.

So is it change or is it visibility? Not seeing it as change. India might have a chance at least they aren't dealing with a revolution, the rest I will believe it when I see it. I guess I should have been from Missouri.

Have fun,
T2M

kbus888 wrote:Hi KNick

I think that one of the most effective ways of combatting abuse and lawlessness in through publicity.

So, my vote for a major reason for change is the internet.

R
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"

Return to Politics