Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by The E   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 am

The E
Admiral

Posts: 2047
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The very small number and percentage of prior convictions that have been overturned by DNA fingerprinting is extremely strong evidence that the false conviction rate was never significant.


I know you're suffering from a form of dyscalculia that makes it hard for you to understand statistics, but: Out of all criminal convictions that happened prior to DNA testing being a thing that could have been materially affected by DNA testing (i.e. all cases where no or few other conclusive pieces of evidence exist to connect the crime to the person convicted for committing it), how many were retested afterwards?

Like, you're using the fact that only very few convictions from the 1950s and 60s were overturned because of DNA evidence as evidence that policing was better back then. But that's not the only hypothesis that fits the data; After all, if someone falsely convicted of a crime wasn't able or willing to contest the conviction once this new evidentiary methodology was solid enough to do so (because they're dead, or because they don't have the funds to hire a lawyer to go through the process, or because they don't care to do so), you'd never find out about it, would you?

Perhaps you are presuming that the false conviction rate in the US was very high because of your bigoted prejudices that Americans are all abunch of ignorant rednecks who would falsely convict the innocent out of spite?


Anyone willing to go along with the GOP or its various sub-sects is certainly ignorant and very likely bigoted and prejudiced, while also not averse to inflicting hurt on innocent people, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, no, my original assumption was that the low rate of convictions from the 50s and 60s being overturned by subsequent DNA testing has more to do with the overall rarity of such cases being reexamined than with any change in the quality of investigations or trials.

Annachie wrote:Fly's little eviction story from the 16 yr olds voting thread, would have been major news here in Australia.
Maybe even to a national level.


Would it have gotten even one line if Fly's hometown?


It would've been major news in pretty much any sane country. Maybe not national news, but certainly a story on regional TV.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:38 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Annachie wrote:It's interesting no note.

Fly's little eviction story from the 16 yr olds voting thread, would have been major news here in Australia.
Maybe even to a national level.


Would it have gotten even one line if Fly's hometown?



Nope.

Then again this rural county of 100,000 people has had over half a dozen homicides this year.

The bodies of three murdered mothers have been found within a half dozen mile area and two feet presumably from the same woman have been found in the river.

The County really doesn't care about what the illegal marrijunna growers do because they get tax money from the legal grows.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by dscott8   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:19 am

dscott8
Captain of the List

Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:17 am

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The County really doesn't care about what the illegal marrijunna growers do because they get tax money from the legal grows.


There's a lack of logic here. If the County cares about getting tax revenues from legal growers, they would want to force the illegal growers out or make them turn legal. Given a steady demand for weed, maximizing legal growers and minimizing illegal growers would maximize tax revenues.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:21 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

dscott8 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:The County really doesn't care about what the illegal marrijunna growers do because they get tax money from the legal grows.


There's a lack of logic here. If the County cares about getting tax revenues from legal growers, they would want to force the illegal growers out or make them turn legal. Given a steady demand for weed, maximizing legal growers and minimizing illegal growers would maximize tax revenues.



Your point is very logical. Unfortunately; the County and the local judges are either not entirely logical or perhaps to logical. Growing pot legally is expensive and the legal market value is inelastic. Growing pot illegally is cheaper and the value on the illicit market is more elastic. A grower with a legal growsite can provide tax revenue to the County while subsidizing his legal grow with another, bootleg site. Since the judges are to stupid to understand that grow site certificates are valid for only one specific address (just like a liquor license), the growers can use a growsite certificate for one legal location as legal cover for another bootleg site in another location, even a different county.

The problem is worse if the judge is distracted by bar association proceedings against his wife who committed perjury by denying under oath that she had engaged in a year long extramarrital affair with one of her subordinates at the US attorney's office. Of course the judge brings the same profound discernment to his courtroom that enabled him to remain oblivious to his wife's flagrant infidelities until she got herself arrested for stalking her boyfriend. There is also the possibility that the philandering US attorney gave her husband a dose of syphyllus that penicillin cant cure which istaken a toll on his brain. Even worse, the judge might be prejudiced because hethinks that I look like the evil bastard who impregnated his wife.

BTW, the Federal Government is now prosecuting illegal marijunna growers and the State is being forced to reform the insanely irresponsible licensing system, finally.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Daryl   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2636
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Latest incident in the press disproves the "Armed carry reduces shooting" line. A fight in a mall leads to shots being fired, so another young man pulls out his legal gun for self defence. The police arrive and shoot him dead.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 am

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Daryl wrote:Latest incident in the press disproves the "Armed carry reduces shooting" line. A fight in a mall leads to shots being fired, so another young man pulls out his legal gun for self defence. The police arrive and shoot him dead.



Actually would prove that many police have been conditioned to be paranoid about "gun nuts" except that this guy was one of the belligerants in the fight rather than an innocent bystander intervening. He just wasnt the guy who did the shooting.

The potential mass shooting at Clackamas Town Center was just one example of an armed citizen being cruicial. The citizen held his fire for fear of hitting bystanders but his intervention provoked the shooter to suicide. Meanwhile, although the mall shared a parking lot with the sheriffs office, the police took time to bring in their mobile command post before "attempting to enter the mall to engage the shooter" who was already dead. The cops basically hada circle jerk in the parking lot while they waited forthe shooting to stop just likethe cops at Sandy Hook. The only thing the police did was confront potential victims from trying to flee which would have caused more deaths if the shooter had still been active.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Annachie   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Annachie
Admiral

Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

To the best of my knowledge, there's no statement saying that Bradford was involved that wasn't taken back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:58 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Annachie wrote:To the best of my knowledge, there's no statement saying that Bradford was involved that wasn't taken back.



I am hoping for more information. Would not be the first time that police have FUBARED in regards to an armed citizen. Portland Police sent in the SWAT officers to serve a warrent on an African American grandfather because a photo of his son holding a military issue M-16 while wearing his USMC uniform inspired the classification as "gun nut." Three SWAT officers opened fire with full auto H&K MP-5s, shooting him 28 times included 22 rounds in the back when he flicked his Bic lighter at them.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by smr   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:06 pm

smr
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5-7b2sIv54

Whenever a person disagrees with a cop be polite, accept the ticket, and fight it in court but always comply with the officer's instructions.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by ywing14   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm

My Grandfather polygraphed the Hurricane. He says Hurricane did it.
Top

Return to Politics