Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

gcomeau wrote:



Perhaps because they have worked the last 40 years in a society saturated with gun wielding nutjobs while the gun lobby keeps telling everyone every year that the solution is to pour in more guns.


Gosh, wonder what could possibly be done about that. If only the planet was full of other countries who didn't have this problem so we could look at how they do it.



A debate with you might be more informative if I could cite crime statistics from your home planet. Unfortunately; you refuse to reveal your home planet.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Looks like jolly old england hassome gun violence after all.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... mpage.html
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2280
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

Yep, a story that made the news due to how rare it is.
In America it takes either multiple deaths or a highly obvious racial component before the story is even considered worthy of more than a one-line mention.
Tells you a lot about the relevant societies, doesn't it?

Regarding guns, licensing may be part of the answer, but education is also highly important However, I would also put forth that geography/population should also factor into it. The wilds of America still has many animals which are good eating (but too big to be taken down by archery) or which see humans as mobile food. Therefore, those who live in mainly rural areas do have a reason for things like rifles. You can't stop a grizzly with a dinky little pop-gun.
Conversely, those who live in urban areas have no reason to carry rifles, even if only because of things like sight-lines and the incredibly high risk of collateral damage when bullets ricochet through random walls and windows. For urban areas, handguns should be the biggest things that people carry, preferably ones that don't fire bullets that can do a Deadpool-style three-and-a-half-headshots-with-one-bullet.
As I said, collateral damage.

In my opinion, the cost of Gun licenses on a per-gun basis should be linked to both the population density (the more crowded the area on a citizens/square mile basis, the higher the license-cost per gun) and to a lesser degree, the stopping power (a dinky hold-out would cost less to carry than a Magnum .357), meaning that those who want to be able to afford entire armories would have to relocate to remote/low-population regions in order to avoid bankruptcy, thus removing them from a place where they could cause huge amounts of damage if they go nuts, all without making them think they're being persecuted for their Hoplophilia.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-00F5-2891
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 am

Annachie
Admiral

Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Perhaps you should peruse LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS KILLED AND ASSAULTED published by the FBI?


Could that possibly be because there are so many guns and so few restrictions?

Nah of course not.

Which is my point.

One of my boys is actually at a police training acadamy now.
In his career as a cop down here in Oz it's unlikely he'll ever see a perp with a gun, let alone be shot at.

In the US, it's more like how many months before a rookie sees one.

Gun numbers and regulations are a huge part of that.
So is attitude of course, and the US will have no real improvement in these things until it's attutude to guns changes.

Port Arthur did it for us, though some younger people are forgetting.
The pessimist in me says if Sandy Hook didn't cause such a change, nothing will.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Daryl   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:12 am

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2636
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Logic fail. Switzerland doesn't have near the owners with multiple weapons the US has. Plus it also doesn't have the insane ethos that it is ethical to overthrow your democratic government by lethal force if you disagree with its policies. Called treason and armed insurrection everywhere else.
Fireflair wrote:So... Switzerland? With one of the lowest crime rates in the world, especially amongst first world countries. It also has a 28% gun ownership amongst it's citizens. The US has 30%. Seems like an equally 'huge' number of guns per person as in the US.

Every person with a Swiss citizenship, aged 10 years or older, can take part at any federal ranges and will be able to shoot for free with the ordinance rifle.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:14 am

isaac_newton
Commodore

Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Looks like jolly old england hassome gun violence after all.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... mpage.html


I would point out that that report comes from 2011 - now how many mass shootings have there been in the UK since then? and how many in the US?

Mind you - in US terms I guess that event was hardly a mass shooting.

[edit]not trying to claim that there have been no shootings!![/edit]

As a small aside - which may well suprise some - apart from recently at a Gatwick Airport [London] - I have never seen an armed policeman - in fact apart from TV I dont think I have actually seen a 'live' gun. I'm certain that I have not handled one - just never really had the opportunity.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Michael Everett wrote:Yep, a story that made the news due to how rare it is.
In America it takes either multiple deaths or a highly obvious racial component before the story is even considered worthy of more than a one-line mention.
Tells you a lot about the relevant societies, doesn't it?

Regarding guns, licensing may be part of the answer, but education is also highly important However, I would also put forth that geography/population should also factor into it. The wilds of America still has many animals which are good eating (but too big to be taken down by archery) or which see humans as mobile food. Therefore, those who live in mainly rural areas do have a reason for things like rifles. You can't stop a grizzly with a dinky little pop-gun.
Conversely, those who live in urban areas have no reason to carry rifles, even if only because of things like sight-lines and the incredibly high risk of collateral damage when bullets ricochet through random walls and windows. For urban areas, handguns should be the biggest things that people carry, preferably ones that don't fire bullets that can do a Deadpool-style three-and-a-half-headshots-with-one-bullet.
As I said, collateral damage.

In my opinion, the cost of Gun licenses on a per-gun basis should be linked to both the population density (the more crowded the area on a citizens/square mile basis, the higher the license-cost per gun) and to a lesser degree, the stopping power (a dinky hold-out would cost less to carry than a Magnum .357), meaning that those who want to be able to afford entire armories would have to relocate to remote/low-population regions in order to avoid bankruptcy, thus removing them from a place where they could cause huge amounts of damage if they go nuts, all without making them think they're being persecuted for their Hoplophilia.



Your proposal reminds me of the voter qualifications of Southern States prior to the Civil War:

White,

Male,

Adult,

Own Land.
Legal minimum tax lot was 640 acres

Own guns.

Own slaves.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:30 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Annachie wrote:
Perhaps you should peruse LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS KILLED AND ASSAULTED published by the FBI?


Could that possibly be because there are so many guns and so few restrictions?

Nah of course not.

Which is my point.

One of my boys is actually at a police training acadamy now.
In his career as a cop down here in Oz it's unlikely he'll ever see a perp with a gun, let alone be shot at.

In the US, it's more like how many months before a rookie sees one.

Gun numbers and regulations are a huge part of that.
So is attitude of course, and the US will have no real improvement in these things until it's attutude to guns changes.

Port Arthur did it for us, though some younger people are forgetting.
The pessimist in me says if Sandy Hook didn't cause such a change, nothing will.



Australi's homicide rate was low even before your big gun ban.

The Mary's River family massacre demonstrates that shotguns are more than suffeciently lethal.

I offer you actual information andyou spew more rhetoric.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:11 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Daryl wrote:Logic fail. Switzerland doesn't have near the owners with multiple weapons the US has. Plus it also doesn't have the insane ethos that it is ethical to overthrow your democratic government by lethal force if you disagree with its policies. Called treason and armed insurrection everywhere else.
Fireflair wrote:So... Switzerland? With one of the lowest crime rates in the world, especially amongst first world countries. It also has a 28% gun ownership amongst it's citizens. The US has 30%. Seems like an equally 'huge' number of guns per person as in the US.

Every person with a Swiss citizenship, aged 10 years or older, can take part at any federal ranges and will be able to shoot for free with the ordinance rifle.



How is that gun control working out for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... _Australia

I bet the Australia aboriginees wished that they had been armed with guns when the Bristish started dumping its convicts and other scum on them.

One of my favorite movies is QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER. I really enjoyed seeing an expert rifleman defending the victims of genocide. I also enjoyed seeing Crazy Cora's cleavage too.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2280
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Your proposal reminds me of the voter qualifications of Southern States prior to the Civil War:

Really? How exactly did you reach that conclusion?
TFLYTSNBN wrote:White,
...Not sure how you got that, given that as a percentage of the population, black males are the most likely to be involved with gun crime, both as the victim and behind the trigger.
On the other hand, I do admit whites are more likely to live in remote places, but quite a bit of that is societal in nature.
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Male,
Not intentional, but since virtually all mass-shooters have been male, I can sorta see where you are going with that.
After all, gun owners who go for big guns are obviously compensating for something...
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Adult,
If you want to let small children who don't understand that guns can hurt people unsupervised access to firearms, then I suggest you research how many accidental firearm deaths are because a kid thought it was a toy and pulled the trigger while pointing it at someone.
The figures are... concerning.
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Own Land.
Legal minimum tax lot was 640 acres
I never mentioned a legal minimum. Renting a house out behind the boonies would work, but if someone has enough money for a full armory, they could probably afford to buy some wilderness to plunk a caravan or whatever on.
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Own guns.
...duh! It's about owning guns! :roll:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Own slaves.
Okay, now you're just trying to yank my chain. What the decaffeinated chicken does owning slaves have to do with owning guns? There is no historical correlation! Slavery dates back to the days of stone-tipped spears! There's a species of ant that enslaves other ants and they don't have guns!
The frikkin' ancient Greek SPARTAN NATION was based on slavery to the point that the slaves outnumbered the Spartans several times over and the Spartans didn't have guns! Hell, they didn't even use arrows all that much!

However, Tfly, I must point out that it's's nice to see proof that you enjoy Star Wars. Why do I say this? Because you are very good at using the Chewbacca Defense.
QED.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I also enjoyed seeing Crazy Cora's cleavage too.

And sadly, that is probably the only reason you remember that film. :roll:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-00F5-2891
Top

Return to Politics