Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

I see. So, she should just allow herself to be beaten and raped, because she might get hurt if she tries to defend herself.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:I see. So, she should just allow herself to be beaten and raped, because she might get hurt if she tries to defend herself.

How about you leave the poor straw-men alone...

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:52 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Pardon me Mr. Rapist, but can I sneak past you , I left my gun in the other room.

Just a sec Mr. escaped prisoner, I left my gun in the bathroom.

You either carry it or lock it. How hard is that to understand. A gun in the house will do you bugger all good for defence, unless you happen to be in the room where it is kept, or it's on your person.

Seriously.

Oh, and just in case you think I was being stupid, about 15 years ago there was a couple who were shot and killed in their own home by an escaped prisoner who had found the families gun on the counter in the bathroom.

Imaginos, nice anecdote, but really it highlights a problem with the US bail laws, not just the gun laws. But then part of the guys bail should have been handing over all guns to the police until after the trial.

Actually, that's not a bad idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:Imaginos, nice anecdote, but really it highlights a problem with the US bail laws, not just the gun laws. But then part of the guys bail should have been handing over all guns to the police until after the trial.

The ex-husband was never armed. Just big, and violent. Hand that over to the police?
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

You missed the part about it being a problem with the BAIL laws. He should never have received it.

But then, we have that problem down here. People getting bail that shouldn't.

Anecdote time.

I had a friend who had one of those bastard viilent ex's.
When I met her she was studying Karate, while undergoing chemo for breast cancer.
She also had an AVO oit against her ex, not that that stopped him.

Her beating the shit out of him and just waiting there for the cops while holding the AVO was golden though.

Cancer got her in the end.

Point is, her ex should never have been out of jail, aparently it was the second time he'd tried and lost, and she didn't need a gun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually, mea culpa, I did confuse the two points into one there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

There are also issues with due process. How would you like to have your property confiscated because of a malicious false complaint? How are the police to determine which complaints are legitimate, and which are false, before any trial?

That could be a racket. Get your guns taken away with a false complaint, THEN break into your house.

We've already got that problem. Your property can be confiscated if the police 'suspect' that it was bought with proceeds from illegal activities, usually selling drugs. Your car, your furniture, even your house can be taken from you based on 'suspicion' even if you are never charged with a crime. You have to go through bureaucratic hell to get it back, IF you ever get it back. It's 'Guilty until proven innocent' and the road to that proof is long and hard.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos, US bail already requires you to give up some of your rights, what's one more?
As does parole for that matter.
(Not just US bail/parole btw)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by chuckpeterson   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:52 pm

chuckpeterson
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

It's not the type of weapon that is the issue, it's where and when you have them.
I want---
[1] background checks (prevents criminals from buying)
[2] seven (7) day waiting period before the gun store can give you the weapon. (giving the person time to cool off if the purchase is based on anger)
[3] provide a valid home address
[4] illegal to carry a firearm in public places

Any objections-?
:?:
Post by Annachie   » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:38 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

chuckpeterson wrote:[4] illegal to carry a firearm in public places

Any objections-?
:?:

Well, yes. Partly. As was pointed out, there are times when you do need to carry them in public places.

A hunter going to the hunting grounds, a sporting shouter going to the range, a gun owner taking a gun in for repairs.

It sounds like a simple point, but it's really complex as hell and open to abuse.

My cousin once got busted for carrying a concealed weapon. He had a baseball bat in the footwell of his car. Along with a glove and ball. Now, he's an idiot who had had many previous drunken runin's with the cops before this particular event. Can't remember if he was drunk this particular time.

So I argue the other way, kinda. It's locked up or on your person. (On your person with apropriate permits obviously)
Simple, and far less open to abuse.

I'd add:
5. All sales MUST go through a licensed gun trader, who is responsible for the paperwork.

6 You are responsible for your gun. The buck(shot :) ) stops with you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics