Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by ywing14   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:13 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

gcomeau wrote:
smr wrote:What would you do with an intruder in your house...what if the person is loved one being threatened (wife, girlfriend, kid, and/or relative) and your at work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbdqyw9sASU

One wonders if you think that the rest of the world just doesn't exist and there are no answers to your question that involve any approach other than "guns for everyone!!!" so you think this is some kind of gotcha question you have sprung on people.

The bottom line is all those other countries who treat guns far more sanely than the US does generally have equivalent or lower rates of violent crime victimization. Because pouring guns into a society doesn't do anything about that. At all. And having guns in your house doesn't make you statistically any safer, it escalates encounters into deadly struggles instead and that's before even taking into account the increased casualty rates from accidents and suicides.

https://www.vox.com/cards/gun-violence- ... death-risk

True, but London passed NYC in homicides for a few months. Not sure if it has stayed that way. Let's start taking everyone's knives!!!

Let me tell you stabbing someone to death is a lot more personal then shooting them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/london-mur ... gun-crime/

I just like owning a gun, I believe it is a fundamental right granted by the US Constitution, it's part of what made America. You can point out how much safer it would be if we could someone manage to find and obtain all I believe it's 240 million privately owned firearms. Cigarettes and alcohol have killed plenty of people. No one is making them illegal. The US tried with alcohol and we saw how that worked out.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:56 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Ywing.

2 outlier months in London do not a trend make.

To put it bluntly. 2 unusually high months in London coincided with 2 low months on NYC.

Or to put it more clearly.

As of 1 July, NYC murder count for 2018 was double that of London. (147 to 70)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Fireflair   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:12 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Just to stir the pot, I think it's worth pointing out that while New York and London have similar populations, New York's population density is literally double that of London's. There is a significant amount of evidence that crime rates, of all kinds, is highly effected by population density.
Post by ywing14   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:14 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:Ywing.

To put it bluntly. 2 unusually high months in London coincided with 2 low months on NYC.

Haha oh that's certainly true, but I am not sure how long that'll be true for. Since crime is on the decline in NYC and on the rise in London.

NYC is actually considered safer than London.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/1 ... s-suggest/
Post by ywing14   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:28 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Fireflair wrote:Just to stir the pot, I think it's worth pointing out that while New York and London have similar populations, New York's population density is literally double that of London's. There is a significant amount of evidence that crime rates, of all kinds, is highly effected by population density.

One of the interesting things is weather. The NYC usually has a spike in murders in the summer. London and the UK as a whole doesn't usually see that.
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's a real funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got company. My sister's visiting. I just relayed her your sentiments. She won't stop laughing. I think I'm going to have to commit her. . .

"20 years? 20 WHOLE years? He's been around long enough to be an expert. . .on Taylor Swift! You're just a baby. 20-yrs won't even get you shouting distance of the nosebleed seats."

Please, please don't get her started. Ya wanna be taken seriously? Don't tell anyone else that.

She won't stop laughing!

It seems you have severe problems arguing your point since you so far haven't managed to produce even one factual post.

If you want to be taken seriously, how about you live up to the meaning of the name you adopted on this forum.

Don't see the point. Nothing to work with. Talk politics with the mindset of children?

You're talking out the side of your neck. And shitting out of your mouth. You couldn't see the truth if it slapped the Houseman out of you. The truth is beyond you, or my desire to nurse a baby.

After reading a little of the thread, my sister turns to me and says "You're the nincompoop, for thinking you can talk politics with a bunch of foreign, arrogant, ignorant, diaper-wearing idiots."

It isn't so much what she said, but that look.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:49 am

The E
Admiral

So I take it that the only valid opinions on America are those held by americans on their death beds? Or is the cutoff date after which your opinions are magically valid close to your own age, by sheer coincidence?

Speaking of, if two decades of living in America are not enough to give you an accurate idea of what America is like and allow you to have opinions on what you would like America to be, why do you allow people under whatever age you deem sufficient to vote?

Oh, and what about people who move cross-country? Are their opinions invalidated too, on account of them crossing one or more intracultural lines? Can someone from Florida have an opinion on Alaskan politics?
Post by Annachie   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
Annachie wrote:Ywing.

Haha oh that's certainly true, but I am not sure how long that'll be true for. Since crime is on the decline in NYC and on the rise in London.

NYC is actually considered safer than London.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/1 ... s-suggest/

NYC murder rate up 8%.

By the way, https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-43628494

"Claim: London has overtaken New York for murders for the first time in modern history after a surge in knife crime across the capital.
Verdict: A selective use of statistics from the start of 2018 appears to bear this out - but the reality is that New York still appears to be more violent than London."

You want to be careful trying to use right-wing media articles from previous years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Joat42   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:51 am

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:Don't see the point. Nothing to work with. Talk politics with the mindset of children?

You're talking out the side of your neck. And shitting out of your mouth. You couldn't see the truth if it slapped the Houseman out of you. The truth is beyond you, or my desire to nurse a baby.

After reading a little of the thread, my sister turns to me and says "You're the nincompoop, for thinking you can talk politics with a bunch of foreign, arrogant, ignorant, diaper-wearing idiots."

And you just proved my point. If I take your post at face value I would guess it was written by a teenager that felt emotionally threatened.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 am

gcomeau
Admiral

cthia wrote:
Joat42 wrote:It seems you have severe problems arguing your point since you so far haven't managed to produce even one factual post.

If you want to be taken seriously, how about you live up to the meaning of the name you adopted on this forum.

Don't see the point. Nothing to work with. Talk politics with the mindset of children?

So to summarize...

Various posters from other countries present cthia with facts and statistics and observations.

cthia tells them they are ignorant foreigners who need a several week crash course in AMERICA!!!! so their arguments are invalid.

poster with 2 decades (not several weeks) of living in America points out that immersion in American society has not provided any observations that contradict the points of other posters.

cthia declares he has family that thinks other posters are stupid.

Yet another poster points out cthia is not exactly debating using facts and reason.

cthia calls posters on the forum children and babies and declares he has family that thinks they are idiots.

And you, cthia, are under the impression you are the mature adult holding court lecturing to the "children" of this forum? Seriously?

This would be funny, if my capacity for dealing with mind numbingly juvenile behavior had not already been long worn away by smr and his good buddy the departed and not to be missed Nimitz.

Return to Politics