Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:59 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:Decades ago on my family's sheep station (ranch) we had a visitor with a 44 magnum carbine, and the discussion turned into hitting power. So various trials ensued using water filled cans and clay termite mounds. The Mauser 8 mm with soft nosed rounds did well, but my shotgun with BBs had the biggest impact. The 44 magnum is a very powerful pistol round, but big rifles and shotguns are more powerful yet again.
With the military I saw 50cal and 20mm antimaterial rifles used and they were more impressive yet again. How Speilberg could imply that they and street sweeper combat shotguns were ineffective against dinosaurs beats me.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Somehow I lost this classic post to address the issue of limiting shotgun magazine capacity. The technical errors in this video are abundant but it is Hollywood. Assuming the perp is smart enough to load with #4 or #00 buckshot, and use the stalk to aim rather than firing from the hip, Dirty Harry would loose the engagement. All effects from the .44 magnum are grossly exagerated.

https://youtu.be/8Xjr2hnOHiM

You make an excellent point. There are two factors to consider in "hitting power," kinetic energy and momentum. The idea of knocking someone down is utter Hollywood BS, but it takes serious momentum as well as kinetic energy to displace the target material as a projectile pentrates. There is much blather about hydrostatic shock from supersonic bullets from "assault rifles." However; maximum muzzle velocity of almost all rifles is less than 1,000 meters per second while the speed of sound in human tissues is about 1,500 m/s and 4,000 m/s for skull bone. The wounding potential of a projectile is as much a result of momentum as kinetic energy.

FYI, my pot plantationist tenant who invoked the Elmer Fudd defense went beyond the blather about shooting slugs through a choke causing the barrel to explode by claiming that he loaded his alleged antique, Remington 1870 shotgun (probably his Remington 870) with birdshot "because I don't want to hurt anyone." At typical gunfight ranges a load of birdshot will inflict a fist sized wound to the abdomen or muscle tissue about 4" to 6" deep. Birshot to the chest that enter between the ribs will pentrate deep enough to ravage the heart and lungs.

Just FYI, I have a neighbor who has to live fairly near my psychopathic pot plantationist tenant whose daughter was a sheriff's deputy in Washington State. She was murdered a few years back by a drug addicted psychopathic rampage killer. I have never questioned her about the incident but perused the FBI records. The perp was armed with a politically correct, Ruger lever action carbine chambered in .44 Magnum. Deputy Lisa Jackson responded as trained by retreating from the porch to the cover of a tree in the yard. Although she emptied three magazines from her semiautomatic pistol, she failed to hit her assailant. This was understandable because she had already sufferred multiple hits to her arms as well as her ballistic vest that would have inflicted serious blunt force trauma even though they didn't pentrate. She also sufferred a wound to the groin that resulted in massive injuries. The perp then closed to point blank range to shoot her in the head.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am

TFLYTSNBN

Happy Columbine Day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine ... l_massacre

All of you Keyboard Commandos should Google up the autopsies. You will find that most of the victims were killed with polutically correct shotguns, aka "Fudd Guns."
Post by The E   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:57 pm

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Happy Columbine Day!

All of you Keyboard Commandos should Google up the autopsies. You will find that most of the victims were killed with polutically correct shotguns, aka "Fudd Guns."

Don't need to google anything to know that too many guns in civilian hands is a bad thing, you know.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:35 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The E wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Happy Columbine Day!

Don't need to google anything to know that too many guns in civilian hands is a bad thing, you know.

The most eloquent refutation of that idiot comment would inevitably demonstrate the validity of Godwins Law.

As an alternative, I suggest that you read the Book of Esther in the Bible. This would give you an excuse to watch the movie ESTHER AND THE KING. Queen Vashti's dance is the best part of the movie.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 am

TFLYTSNBN

Saw this most excellent, well documented assesment of US homicide trends. This information was all known to me previously but this concise aggregation of data is extraordinary. The fact that Australians (the 1/10 of 1% who still have functioning brains and testicles?) wrote this is astonishing.

https://mises.org/wire/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:47 am

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Saw this most excellent, well documented assesment of US homicide trends. This information was all known to me previously but this concise aggregation of data is extraordinary. The fact that Australians (the 1/10 of 1% who still have functioning brains and testicles?) wrote this is astonishing.

It's like you have some kind of highly selective learning disability or something, it's kind of amazing.

EVERYONE HERE KNOWS homicide rates in the US have fallen. We have been over this again and again and again. And yet you keep bringing it up as if it's some revelatory piece of information.

TFLY: "Homicide rates in the US are way lower than they used to be! AHA!!!!!!!!"

Everyone else: "Yeah we know, homicide rates have fallen in most of the civilized world by similar amounts in the same time period. There are many factors that contribute to homicide rates in developed nations. And yet throughout that period the US is consistently at the top of the list of people getting killed and we all know why."

TFLY: "Look! A fall in homicide rates! So it's not guns!!!"

Everyone else: "Sigh.... yes TFLY, we are familiar with the numbers. We talked about this already. And you're not dealing with the huge disparity between people being killed in the US and people being killed in countries with sane gun control policies."

TFLY: "LOOK AT THIS! A REPORT THAT SAYS US HOMICIDE RATES HAVE COME DOWN! WHAT AMAZING EXCELLENT RESEARCH!"

Everyone else:
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 pm

TFLYTSNBN

gcomeau wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Saw this most excellent, well documented assesment of US homicide trends. This information was all known to me previously but this concise aggregation of data is extraordinary. The fact that Australians (the 1/10 of 1% who still have functioning brains and testicles?) wrote this is astonishing.

It's like you have some kind of highly selective learning disability or something, it's kind of amazing.

EVERYONE HERE KNOWS homicide rates in the US have fallen. We have been over this again and again and again. And yet you keep bringing it up as if it's some revelatory piece of information.

TFLY: "Homicide rates in the US are way lower than they used to be! AHA!!!!!!!!"

Everyone else: "Yeah we know, homicide rates have fallen in most of the civilized world by similar amounts in the same time period. There are many factors that contribute to homicide rates in developed nations. And yet throughout that period the US is consistently at the top of the list of people getting killed and we all know why."

Everyone else: "Sigh.... yes TFLY, we are familiar with the numbers. We talked about this already. And you're not dealing with the huge disparity between people being killed in the US and people being killed in countries with sane gun control policies."

TFLY: "LOOK AT THIS! A REPORT THAT SAYS US HOMICIDE RATES HAVE COME DOWN! WHAT AMAZING EXCELLENT RESEARCH!"

Everyone else:

So what is the homicide trend on your home planet?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:40 pm

TFLYTSNBN

gcomeau wrote:

Everyone else:

The point is that you and your buddies refuse to explsin why homicide rates are falling much less consider that factor as well as other factors as the possible determinant causes of homicide rates in the US.

Hint,

Demographics.

Clearance Rates.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The USA is Number 111!

https://youtu.be/pELwCqz2JfE
Post by Joat42   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Joat42
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The USA is Number 111!

https://youtu.be/pELwCqz2JfE

Taking into consideration what you said before that:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:The point is that you and your buddies refuse to explsin why homicide rates are falling much less consider that factor as well as other factors as the possible determinant causes of homicide rates in the US.

What would happen if we adjusted the US homicide rates according to the demographic factors when comparing to other countries rates. Where would the USA end up on the list then?!

I think I made a post about this a long time ago which I can't be bothered to dig up right now, but I seem to remember it didn't really help the statistics for the USA.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Politics