Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Annachie   » Sat May 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

From memory NRA national meetings tend to be gun free zones as well.
For insurance reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun May 14, 2017 11:22 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Just remembered a weird TV interview from when Trump addressed the NRA. For Presidential security reasons guns were banned from the circus there. One middle aged male attendee was clearly distressed, as he'd had to walk nearly two blocks unarmed. "I've not felt so vulnerable in years" he said.
Weird attitude as a gun doesn't come with a force field, just as vulnerable to being shot with as without. Possibly more so if someone saw your gun and shot first just in case.

Yeah, the same problem as with oh so many superpowered fictions, if for real, everyone without something to keep them alive would die like flies in front of a flamethrower.
Post by gcomeau   » Mon May 15, 2017 12:04 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Just remembered a weird TV interview from when Trump addressed the NRA. For Presidential security reasons guns were banned from the circus there. One middle aged male attendee was clearly distressed, as he'd had to walk nearly two blocks unarmed. "I've not felt so vulnerable in years" he said.
Weird attitude as a gun doesn't come with a force field, just as vulnerable to being shot with as without. Possibly more so if someone saw your gun and shot first just in case.

On average (please pay attention to those 2 words before responding people), gun owners who own anything beyond hunting rifles and the like are the most frightened/insecure people I know. Which are of course the people you want walking around armed all the time the least since they're most prone to inappropriate responses when they feel threatened which escalate otherwise non or minimally dangerous situations into life or death scenarios.

Then, if they survive said scenario, they inevitably react with "OMG! Good thing I had my gun!"
Post by biochem   » Tue May 16, 2017 7:38 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:

On average (please pay attention to those 2 words before responding people), gun owners who own anything beyond hunting rifles and the like are the most frightened/insecure people I know. Which are of course the people you want walking around armed all the time the least since they're most prone to inappropriate responses when they feel threatened which escalate otherwise non or minimally dangerous situations into life or death scenarios.

Then, if they survive said scenario, they inevitably react with "OMG! Good thing I had my gun!"

You know some strange people.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Wed May 17, 2017 12:17 am

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

You likely have a point about those who insist on carrying a gun most of the time. However, you're painting the large number of people who own non-hunting weapons for target shooting only or competition only (and there are many) with the exact same brush. That tends to undermine your point; which you were aware of since you began with "On average (please pay attention to those 2 words before responding people)".

gcomeau wrote:

Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 17, 2017 12:09 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Donnachaidh wrote:You likely have a point about those who insist on carrying a gun most of the time. However, you're painting the large number of people who own non-hunting weapons for target shooting only or competition only (and there are many) with the exact same brush. That tends to undermine your point; which you were aware of since you began with "On average (please pay attention to those 2 words before responding people)".

Beginning with that was pointing out I wasn't painting the entire group with the same brush. An average is exactly that... an *average*. Not a commentary that all members of the group share the trait. Just that it contains sufficient numbers of people who do have that trait to drag the group average down.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Wed May 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

You were -and still are- presuming that the "average" gun owner routinely carries. That's what I take issue with. I haven't been able to find any evidence that supported that; everything I have found basically said that while there is date for the number of concealed carry permits that have been issued (though there are 13 states that don't require concealed carry permits according to Wikipedia), there's no data on how many actually carry concealed weapons.

gcomeau wrote:
Donnachaidh wrote:You likely have a point about those who insist on carrying a gun most of the time. However, you're painting the large number of people who own non-hunting weapons for target shooting only or competition only (and there are many) with the exact same brush. That tends to undermine your point; which you were aware of since you began with "On average (please pay attention to those 2 words before responding people)".

Beginning with that was pointing out I wasn't painting the entire group with the same brush. An average is exactly that... an *average*. Not a commentary that all members of the group share the trait. Just that it contains sufficient numbers of people who do have that trait to drag the group average down.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Donnachaidh wrote:You were -and still are- presuming that the "average" gun owner routinely carries.

No... I said the average gun owner (beyond those who just own hunting rifles and the like) is more frightened and insecure.

I then made the separate point that those are the people you least want carrying guns around, and why that was. Not that they all DO carry guns around.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

I'll grant that I conflated my own argument about people who carry vs those who don't with yours.

However, you're still making the mistake of assuming the few vocal paranoiacs that tend to get attention on both traditional and social media are representative. Both of those platforms tend to give more attention to the more outrageous things because that gets them attention (and in traditional media's case especially, money).

Can you provide any evidence to validate your claim?

gcomeau wrote:
Donnachaidh wrote:You were -and still are- presuming that the "average" gun owner routinely carries.

No... I said the average gun owner (beyond those who just own hunting rifles and the like) is more frightened and insecure.

I then made the separate point that those are the people you least want carrying guns around, and why that was. Not that they all DO carry guns around.
Post by Daryl   » Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Gents, from outside your discussion it appears that you are each saying much the same thing in different ways.
My take is that most gun owners are responsible, but a small percentage are irrational believing that they have to carry a gun at all times to be safe.
An analogy is the current North Korea situation, where fat boy believes he needs nukes to protect himself, whereas if they weren't developing them no one would have paid them any mind. As it is the potential for an attack has risen because they are seen as a threat.

Return to Politics