Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The irony of it all is that we decent, educated modern folk frown at the idiocy of the Old West, walking around carrying guns in holsters and shooting it out.

But now, we seem to be reverting back to that and the Old West seems to have the upper hand in common decency. At least most everyone had a gun and you saw that gun. And most everyone gave the intended victim a chance to draw. And the law didn't generally go around shooting people because their wife ran off with the milkman.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:17 am

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:The irony of it all is that we decent, educated modern folk frown at the idiocy of the Old West, walking around carrying guns in holsters and shooting it out.

But now, we seem to be reverting back to that and the Old West seems to have the upper hand in common decency. At least most everyone had a gun and you saw that gun. And most everyone gave the intended victim a chance to draw. And the law didn't generally go around shooting people because their wife ran off with the milkman.

....you do know that 50s westerns aren't historical documentaries, right
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:38 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

cthia wrote:The irony of it all is that we decent, educated modern folk frown at the idiocy of the Old West, walking around carrying guns in holsters and shooting it out.

The E wrote:....you do know that 50s westerns aren't historical documentaries, right
The cowboy era lasted only 20 years, meaning that there's more film-hours devoted to it than actually happened (a bit like World War 2...)!
Of course, it was very little like the films as this song demonstrates (Thanks, Horrible Histories...).
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'm all for open carry like that.

You either carry it, holster it, or lock it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by pappilon   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:I'm all for open carry like that.

When I bought this house (2008)there were 3 bullet holes in the corner trim of the aluminum siding. now there's a 4th. everything around me is either state or national forest. Some crazy neighbor is shooting in the wrong direction. Yeah, these are the idiots I want open carrying handguns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:11 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

https://m.facebook.com/groups/124796007 ... 1519209968

Thought people might find it interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Annachie wrote:I'm all for open carry like that.

When I bought this house (2008)there were 3 bullet holes in the corner trim of the aluminum siding. now there's a 4th. everything around me is either state or national forest. Some crazy neighbor is shooting in the wrong direction. Yeah, these are the idiots I want open carrying handguns.
I used to work for the big Telco in Australia, out in the country.

Went to more than one remote location with bullet holes in it.

Always made sure the car was very visable at those places :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by dscott8   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am

dscott8
Commodore

"Open Carry" is a sop to the OK Corral fantasies of would-be John Waynes. Its only practical effects are to scare the general populace and to let the bad guys know who to shoot first. I have a concealed weapons permit, and my Ruger P95DC stays concealed unless it's needed. If it is, I'd rather surprise the bad guy.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Daryl wrote:There does seem to be a correlation with religious fervor and the belief in the absolute right to have as many guns of what ever type you want. Some PHD student someday will do a thesis based on autopsies of brains of such people versus the general population. I did read a report of something similar that showed that very conservative people had larger lobes in the fight or flight areas, but that may have been fake news so don't quote me.

Dunno about that specifically, but a number of studies have shown very strong correlation between living in uncertainty and level of religiousness in a region.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Amazing how those strict literalists so concerned with original intent always manage to forget the entire first half of the amendment they are so reverent of and that whole part about well regulated militias.
Which says NOTHING about "members of the 'well regulated militias' only." The first part is a preamble for the anti-gun nuts. The actual phrasing of the Amendment states clearly "shall not be abridged" not "for members of the militia only."

The problem is that interpreting it like that requires that you are unable to understand the difference between complete and incomplete statements.

It is ONE amendment, not 1 and a half that has been written incorrectly by someone barely literate.

And that's not even taking into account that you have to ignore the context of the time it was written. When one of the reasons for independence was the British trying to enforce an absence of any kind of organised military among the locals.

Return to Politics