Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Australi's homicide rate was low even before your big gun ban.

Because even back before tge ban we had better gun laws and a more sensible attitude to guns than the US.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:57 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Annachie wrote:
Australi's homicide rate was low even before your big gun ban.

Because even back before tge ban we had better gun laws and a more sensible attitude to guns than the US.

Australia also had and continuesto have much lower rape rates than the US. Is this because Australia has stringent penis controls? Do Aussies ban large caliber, long barrelled, high capacity assault penises that can fire dozens of rounds without reloading?
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:20 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Australia also had and continues to have much lower rape rates than the US.

I assumed that it was because A) the Aussies were generally better educated than Americans* and B) Rapists tend to be careless and careless Aussies fall foul of the lethal wildlife.

Also, Tfly, nice use of the Chewbacca Defense. It really shows you are a master of Redneck Logic.

*Teachers have reported that in recent years, there have been quite a few American students who have been unable to comprehend that America won the War of Independence...
This fact alone explains far too much about how America is viewed by almost everyone else.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:43 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I did have one bright spark American try to tell me that the US Constitution was written after the civil war.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by jchilds   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:13 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:I did have one bright spark American try to tell me that the US Constitution was written after the civil war.

Ever seen any "Talking to Americans" segments off of This Hour Has 22 Minutes?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:01 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Michael Everett wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Australia also had and continues to have much lower rape rates than the US.

I assumed that it was because A) the Aussies were generally better educated than Americans* and B) Rapists tend to be careless and careless Aussies fall foul of the lethal wildlife.

Also, Tfly, nice use of the Chewbacca Defense. It really shows you are a master of Redneck Logic.

*Teachers have reported that in recent years, there have been quite a few American students who have been unable to comprehend that America won the War of Independence...
This fact alone explains far too much about how America is viewed by almost everyone else.

Australia and almost every other industrialised democracy has benefitted from more effective law enforcement. While major violent crime clearsnce rates (arrest rates) in most countries have been very high, America's has been very low. Starting in 1960, the clearance rate for murder in America plummeted from 90%+ tobarely 60%. Thr homicide rate doubled as a consequence. There is an undeniable correllation between crime clearance rates and crime rates. Jurisdictions with competent law enforcement and engaged citizenry enjoy European level crime rates. Jurisdictions with incompetent or corrupt law enforcement and imbecile juries have horrific crime rates. Baltimore Maryland hasbecome the new US crime capitol because the DA and poluce chief are as stupid as the citizens who elected them.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:48 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Fully agree Fly. There is much research on how it is the certainty of getting caught that is the deterrent not the severity of sentencing.
We elect politicians who then oversight professional police organisations who aren't elected. Seems to work. How can you elect a judge or police chief? Crazy.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:53 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:Fully agree Fly. There is much research on how it is the certainty of getting caught that is the deterrent not the severity of sentencing.
We elect politicians who then oversight professional police organisations who aren't elected. Seems to work. How can you elect a judge or police chief? Crazy.

The FBI refuses to publish rankings of police forces based on clearance rates, but the Supplementary Homicide Reports provide the raw data. There are huge variations in arrest rates for murder. As a general rule, big city police departments whose chiefs are selected by elected mayors and city councils are abysmal (3 out of 4 murders NOT solved) while rural anf suburban counties with elected sheriffs have very high clearance rates and consequently low murder rates.
Post by noblehunter   » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:13 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The FBI refuses to publish rankings of police forces based on clearance rates, but the Supplementary Homicide Reports provide the raw data. There are huge variations in arrest rates for murder. As a general rule, big city police departments whose chiefs are selected by elected mayors and city councils are abysmal (3 out of 4 murders NOT solved) while rural anf suburban counties with elected sheriffs have very high clearance rates and consequently low murder rates.

You'd need to control for a whole host of variables before you conclude that elected sheriff vs appointed police chief has any significant effect on clearance rates.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Rural murders are, in general, much simpler to solve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics