Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Daryl   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I regret that this has caused you some unhappiness, cithia.
While I concede that living in America as a native born citizen does give you superior understanding of the country, I still say that opinions from citizens of other developed countries have some merit. Particularly when we have Germans, British, Israelis, and Australians all with similar views.
A point I would make is that even in Australia different states are different. As a Queenslander I sometimes fail to connect with those from Victoria. I would imagine that your views are formed by your locality, upbringing, social set, age, and employment. I would well imagine that someone from a state on the other side of he country could answer quite differently in regard to being an American.
One reason that I engage in debate here is to try to understand different cultures. In my frequent trips to the UK I have come to know them quite well, and relish investigating the few points of difference between the British and Australians.

What I believe we outsiders have difficulty in understanding about some Americans are these points -

Resistance to universal national health care and welfare.
The gun lobby's fanatical insistence in retaining all access to guns for virtually everyone.
The view held by a significant minority that having the potential (no matter how theoretical) to violently over through an elected government is a good thing. Not treason or insurrection, as anyone outside would think.
Public espousal of Christianity, with often contradictory opinions.
Acceptance of political bias in the judiciary.
Devotion to your old Constitution.

You have every right to have these opinions and principles, and I accept that, but let us comment on how we find some to be strange.
An example was how you used examples of unregistered non citizens slipping through the insurance cracks. Not a problem for us with universal health care and worker's compensation.
Post by The E   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:51 am

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Let me tell ya something, bub, the people they happened to do not consider those 'anecdotes' irrelevant, trivial, OR bullshit.

You're making the same silly mistake that cthia is making. If you were victim of a crime, and you managed to defend yourself using a firearm, congratulations! You were, statistically speaking, an outlier. I don't wish to invalidate your experience here, or cthia's, or the experience of cthia's friends and family, but those are just single data points. They are thoroughly insufficient when it comes to getting a picture of what the real situation is in the entirety of your country, or even just the parts of your country that you happen to live in.

No matter how much you or cthia say that we non-Americans "just don't know the real situation", your attempts at describing what the reality is are flawed. You're just like those climate change deniers who think that it must all be a hoax because your local weather hasn't changed much in recorded history.

So your idea of self-defense is to make like road-kill, and hope the buzzards don't notice you.

How many people do you expect to kill over your lifetime?

(See, I can do bullshit arguments too!)
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:42 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

cthia wrote:Neurotic about guns. :lol: :roll:

Unbelievable, it just gets worse. He really thinks it's all about guns and some neurosis.

This is the kind of total disconnect that makes the average American steer clear of attempting political discourse with foreigners, even with a ten-foot pole. There is so much massive disconnect that it'd take a several week course just to bring you up to speed.

I've lived in the US for 20 years.

Describing Americans attitudes towards guns as neurotic is completely justifiable.
Post by smr   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:10 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

What would you do with an intruder in your house...what if the person is loved one being threatened (wife, girlfriend, kid, and/or relative) and your at work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbdqyw9sASU

When a family member (wife is being threatened, attitudes change towards firearms. I speak from experience on a similar but different situation. My wife was being followed from work by unknown man. I was at work and had her pull into a convenience store and had the cashier lock the door and call 911. Scariest incident in my life because I was helpless and useless/powerless in this situation.

We rectified the problem with concealed handguns and training. I recommend a training class on how to use the weapon, clean and store the weapon, and what the laws are!
Last edited by smr on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

smr wrote:What would you do with an intruder in your house...what if the person is loved one being threatened (wife, girlfriend, kid, and/or relative) and your at work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbdqyw9sASU

One wonders if you think that the rest of the world just doesn't exist and there are no answers to your question that involve any approach other than "guns for everyone!!!" so you think this is some kind of gotcha question you have sprung on people.

The bottom line is all those other countries who treat guns far more sanely than the US does generally have equivalent or lower rates of violent crime victimization. Because pouring guns into a society doesn't do anything about that. At all. And having guns in your house doesn't make you statistically any safer, it escalates encounters into deadly struggles instead and that's before even taking into account the increased casualty rates from accidents and suicides.

https://www.vox.com/cards/gun-violence- ... death-risk
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
cthia wrote:Neurotic about guns. :lol: :roll:

Unbelievable, it just gets worse. He really thinks it's all about guns and some neurosis.

This is the kind of total disconnect that makes the average American steer clear of attempting political discourse with foreigners, even with a ten-foot pole. There is so much massive disconnect that it'd take a several week course just to bring you up to speed.

I've lived in the US for 20 years.

Describing Americans attitudes towards guns as neurotic is completely justifiable.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's a real funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got company. My sister's visiting. I just relayed her your sentiments. She won't stop laughing. I think I'm going to have to commit her. . .

"20 years? 20 WHOLE years? He's been around long enough to be an expert. . .on Taylor Swift! You're just a baby. 20-yrs won't even get you shouting distance of the nosebleed seats."

Please, please don't get her started. Ya wanna be taken seriously? Don't tell anyone else that.

She won't stop laughing!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

cthia wrote:
gcomeau wrote:I've lived in the US for 20 years.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's a real funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got company. My sister's visiting. I just relayed her your sentiments. She won't stop laughing. I think I'm going to have to commit her. . .

"20 years? 20 WHOLE years? He's been around long enough to be an expert. . .on Taylor Swift! You're just a baby. 20-yrs won't even get you shouting distance of the nosebleed seats."

Please, please don't get her started. Ya wanna be taken seriously? Don't tell anyone else that.

She won't stop laughing!

Yes, clearly 20 years of immersion in a nation and society is wholly inadequate to know a damn thing about it, and your laughter is not only entirely justified but the only required response to my post... being wholly adequate to establish your claim that unless a person's tenure in the US is some undefined number of years higher than this they will have been unable to acquire any knowledge of American society. :roll:

(I trust you will never again post an opinion about anywhere on earth you have lived for less than 2 decades, yes?)
Post by Daryl   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

There is this mind set that a gun comes with a force field that will protect you. If someone has a gun and you quietly do as instructed, (hand over your money or whatever) there is a good chance you won't get shot. Pulling out your own gun escalates the situation, and greatly increases the chance of being shot. Particularly so if your gun isn't a "man stopper". A 9mm round can kill, but it won't immediately stop a determined assailant unless you get a headshot or similar.
My wife was once followed in a similar situation to yours, solving it like yours did. If she had a gun it is quite likely she would have shot herself in the panic.
In response to your new comment it is called the United STATES, in other words a collection of mini societies. I'm quite sure people from different areas have different values and views.
Post by smr   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:44 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Ok Gcomeau and Daryl,

I live in a Sanctuary city. Alot of crimes are not investigated unless someone is hurt. I remember when I worked as a hotel night manager and was robbed. The police took 2 hours to get their after the crime. A week later another hotel robbery took place down the street. The front desk manager was shot and killed. The responding deputy was killed. Then the police started patrolling the area and looking for the guilty party. Maybe if they did their job the 1st time, the cop and front desk manager might still be alive. Now you know why I despise the sanctuary city designations!
Post by Joat42   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's a real funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

She won't stop laughing!

It seems you have severe problems arguing your point since you so far haven't managed to produce even one factual post.

If you want to be taken seriously, how about you live up to the meaning of the name you adopted on this forum.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Politics