Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My brother is a Chief of Police. My brother-in-law has worked in Washington D.C. in law enforcement for over 40 years. A sister has retired from the force. Several friends are officers. A high school buddy is a State Trooper. Many more friends are officers. Many friends and family in government. Heck, in one city the mayor and assistant mayor are both my first cousins! Why the hell do I need to get my sources from the internet about America when I'm right here!

Be all that as it may, I concede to you. After thinking about it. After really really giving it much thought, I think I've been unfair to you. I now accept your many man hours of study on the internet as accredited bona fide courses of everything American. I was wrong. What do I know anyway, I only live here.

You are absolutely right about everything American.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:56 pm

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:My brother is a Chief of Police. My brother-in-law has worked in Washington D.C. in law enforcement for over 40 years. A sister has retired from the force. Several friends are officers. A high school buddy is a State Trooper. Many more friends are officers. Many friends and family in government. Heck, in one city the mayor and assistant mayor are both my first cousins! Why the hell do I need to get my sources from the internet about America when I'm right here!

Oh, I thought you were trying to convince people that your opinions are based on actual, objective fact and that you knew the difference between anecdotes (even very believable ones) and facts.

My mistake, sorry.

Be all that as it may, I concede to you. After thinking about it. After really really giving it much thought, I think I've been unfair to you. I now accept your many man hours of study on the internet as accredited bona fide courses of everything American. I was wrong. What do I know anyway, I only live here.

You are absolutely right about everything American.

I never figured you to be this petulant about losing an argument.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I admit it. You beat me fair and square. I never had a chance. You have the internet. All I have is America.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 pm

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:I admit it. You beat me fair and square. I never had a chance. You have the internet. All I have is America.

You know, I'm disappointed. I kinda want to be proven wrong; it would be comforting to know that your country isn't as fucked up and neurotic about guns as it seems to be from the outside.

But every time I, or someone else, brings up arguments that make sense to us about how the massive proliferation of firearms and the culture built around them is really weird and bad, all the pro-gun side can come up with is easily debunked bullshit, irrelevant anecdotes, and not a lot of actual data or science.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Neurotic about guns. :lol: :roll:

Unbelievable, it just gets worse. He really thinks it's all about guns and some neurosis.

This is the kind of total disconnect that makes the average American steer clear of attempting political discourse with foreigners, even with a ten-foot pole. There is so much massive disconnect that it'd take a several week course just to bring you up to speed. A crash course. What motive do you think any American has to spend so much time connecting dots for you? When there's absolutely nothing there to work with but preconceived notions and arrogance? There isn't any, and frankly, since you obviously haven't realized it, the average American could care less about what you think. Ultimately.

Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:44 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

cthia wrote:the average American could care less about what you think.

The "Solarian League Is America" meme is picking up speed...
Does that make the EU Silesia?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I don't believe that the US government is allowed to estimate the number of guns in the USA Cthia.

Which, if true , should be a huge warning flare.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:I don't believe that the US government is allowed to estimate the number of guns in the USA Cthia.

Which, if true , should be a huge warning flare.

At last, someone with something to work with. That's exactly what I've been trying to send up in the forum. . .warning flares. There are so many illegal sources of guns in this country it's alarming. Some, our government isn't even aware of. If they were they'd stop them. How can something unknown be counted? A lot of guns enter the country through our borders. Illegal guns began to seriously flow into this country in the 70's. The black market, the underground, the drug cartels, the mafia, hate groups, corrupt officials and God only knows how many more sources I've missed. That's over half a century of guns, guns, illegal guns. How can that be counted?

Our government doesn't have a choice but to estimate the number of guns Annachie. There's just no way for them to know, other than the legal sales figures. At one point, gangs could buy some milk, candy and a gun at the same store. Legally.

Our government can't, and won't, divulge just how out of control guns are in America. Partly because they don't have a clue themselves, hard numbers anyway. Partly because it's political in nature. The average American doesn't swallow those statistics - not even with a grain of salt. We're not that gullible. We live here.

Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:all the pro-gun side can come up with is easily debunked bullshit, irrelevant anecdotes

Let me tell ya something, bub, the people they happened to do not consider those 'anecdotes' irrelevant, trivial, OR bullshit.
———————————
So your idea of self-defense is to make like road-kill, and hope the buzzards don't notice you.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I think you misread that Cthia.

Your government is literally not allowed to guess. To estimate. Whatever. Not that they don't.

There are some good estimates out there, but all from private institutions.

Illegal guns? Well, yes. When you have laws that make it easy for guns to disapeer from the systems.

Border? The USA is a net exporter of illegal guns, not an importer.
I mean, it's already so easy to get an American made gun on the sly that there'd be no profit in smuggling them in. (As always, there's bound to be high end exceptions but they'd be so small in number compared to the whole gun thing as to not be worth worrying about here)

I've said it before. It's a cultural thing and until there's a dramatic shift in it, things like Colorado will keep happening.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics