Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by biochem   » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:45 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:Now republicans want to legalize silencers. The noise causes potential hearing loss.

Reminds me of the old space race joke. NASA spent $millions developing a ball point pen that would write in o gravity. Roscosmos sent a dozen pencils.

Apparently republican congressmen have never heard of hearing protection. Probably need to actually spend time on a range with a set of ear muffs.

I understand that there is an OSHA issue as well. The hearing protection seems to work well for people who use the range but it isn't sufficient protection for those who WORK at the range and have a much higher noise exposure.
Post by Eyal   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:52 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

WeirdlyWired wrote:Now republicans want to legalize silencers. The noise causes potential hearing loss.

Reminds me of the old space race joke. NASA spent $millions developing a ball point pen that would write in o gravity. Roscosmos sent a dozen pencils.

Apparently republican congressmen have never heard of hearing protection. Probably need to actually spend time on a range with a set of ear muffs.

It makes a certain amount of sense. For example, if you're using a gun for home defense, you probably don't have time to get earing protection out. I imagine it would also be detrimental for hunting, where you want to be able to hear your companions and any other people in the area to prevent unfortunate incidents.

Bear in mind that silencers alone won't give you the almost silent "pfft" you hear in movies or TV; you need specialized ammunition (normal ammunition is supersonic, so the bullet itself can't be silent due to the miniature sonic boom) and equipment (especially if you want to retain semi-automatic capability).
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:48 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Doesn't a silencer make a hand gun damn difficult to draw from a holster? Harder to carry (except in hand) and harder to store?
But then if you're worried about your hearing at such a time you probably aren't in real danger anyway.

Noise problems for range staff is pure not appropriate ear protection.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:06 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Doesn't a silencer make a hand gun damn difficult to draw from a holster? Harder to carry (except in hand) and harder to store?

Yes, there´s holsters made to accommodate, but most are considerably less comfortable than a regular holster.

Storage is a non-issue. You would normally remove a silencer when putting it in storage, but even if you don´t, it´s just a matter of "the gun is now 10-30cm longer".
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:13 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Eyal wrote:It makes a certain amount of sense. For example, if you're using a gun for home defense, you probably don't have time to get earing protection out. I imagine it would also be detrimental for hunting, where you want to be able to hear your companions and any other people in the area to prevent unfortunate incidents.
Having worked in heavy construction since 1968, you can hear just fine with both ear plugs and ear muffs. They are designed to allow normal speech but block anything over 85dB.

The hearing issue is a red herring. It is an excuse to ease restrictions that have been in place since roughly 1935. They need some reason no matter how specious to have a chance to get it by a federal court.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Something that popped up.
3% of Americans own 50% of the guns.

OK, at only 4000 datapoints the survey was a bit small, but wow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Something that popped up.

OK, at only 4000 datapoints the survey was a bit small, but wow.

Annachie, one of my brothers answered a similar quip from his French Canadian wife.

"Honey, why do Americans own so many guns?"

"Because we own 100 % of the American pie and everyone wants a slice of it."

Weaponized drones and other DIY's are frightening. How long before some terrorist or American citizen really goes 21st Century postal and mall and school shootings begin to pale by comparison?

It's a frightening world in America.

"Always wear body armor and pack, son. You got your school lunch?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:23 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I've seen what goes into American Pie.
No thanks.

https://youtu.be/82oPNXUf0Ks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:Something that popped up.
You read that wrong, - Half of all guns in America are not owned by the top 3%'ers.

Everybody seems to think they own everything, here's proof to the contrary.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:I've seen what goes into American Pie.
No thanks.

https://youtu.be/82oPNXUf0Ks

:o WTF! I mean literally, W.T.F! :lol:

There goes my grape juice all over the table. My wife is not amused. I'll stick with the cobbler from now on. Annachie, you owe me one tablecloth.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Politics