Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by smr   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:04 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Bulls eye!

cthia wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Well that was an awful lot of words expended when all you could have said was "I don't have a response to this argument let's talk about wildlife instead".

Au contraire mon frere, I do have a response to this argument. There is simply so much disconnect from non-Americans that my time requires me to be patient in my response, because of so much that needs to be addressed.

And because I've learned to take a deep breath when I'm passionately fuming and take my time so as not to, offend anyone, step on any toes -- as best I can.

Plus the fact that that post was meant as a bit-o-humor. Humor extends life, I use it wherever I see an opening. See the humor thread.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:11 am

gcomeau
Admiral

cthia wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Well that was an awful lot of words expended when all you could have said was "I don't have a response to this argument let's talk about wildlife instead".

Au contraire mon frere, I do have a response to this argument. There is simply so much disconnect from non-Americans that my time requires me to be patient in my response,

There is a great gaping chasm of a difference between a response being patient and a response being a massive exercise in changing the subject whe never addressing the argument being responded to.

You just engaged in the latter. Not the former.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Au contraire mon frere, I do have a response to this argument. There is simply so much disconnect from non-Americans that my time requires me to be patient in my response,
gcomeau wrote:There is a great gaping chasm of a difference between a response being patient and a response being a massive exercise in changing the subject whe never addressing the argument being responded to.

You just engaged in the latter. Not the former.

You're really wrapped tightly, aren't you. Change your coffee blends, loosen your collar or tie, move up to the next shoe size, go for a walk, meditate or whatever it takes, but for goodness sakes, please chill. We're here to exchange dialogue, not incite riots or completely upstage the Spanish inquisition. Please. Relax. You exhibit so much anger over any and everything. I'm the American who has to endure the arrogance and disconnect of non-Americans on this subject. I'm the one with cause to be angry. If I'm willing to suck it up and be decent about it, surely you can too?

Did you fail to notice the part that says it was a bit-o-humor? That post was really meant for Annachie, though I certainly don't begrudge anyone else a laugh or two. Your very type of uptightness is why I interjected the humor in the first place.

Annachie is someone who I've had quite a few exchanges with on the main forum and have come to respect her opinion and her input, even long for it -- someone who doesn't agree for the sake of agreeing, or disagree for the sake of disagreeing -- but who always does either with a liberal sprinkling of maturity and respect. At least in my exchanges with her.

She is someone who I know for a fact would laugh at that post.

I'm sorry that my time has demands on me that I can't get your book publishing to you before its time. Direct your anger to my editor. Wait, that's me too. Darnit!

Having to respond to your impatience and the tone that fuels it, diminishes the time I have to formally respond to it.:D

This is pre-4th of July cookout weekend here, amongst friends and family. This is a busy weekend here in the states.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:35 pm

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:You're really wrapped tightly, aren't you.

This is funny to me.

Change your coffee blends, loosen your collar or tie, move up to the next shoe size, go for a walk, meditate or whatever it takes, but for goodness sakes, please chill. We're here to exchange dialogue, not incite riots or completely upstage the Spanish inquisition. Please. Relax. You exhibit so much anger over any and everything. I'm the American who has to endure the arrogance and disconnect of non-Americans on this subject. I'm the one with cause to be angry. If I'm willing to suck it up and be decent about it, surely you can too?

Ah, yes, the patented call for civility. Because we really need to be civil in these times.

Except that's bullshit, of course; Karl Popper buried that crap ages ago.

Here, have a visual aid:

Did you fail to notice the part that says it was a bit-o-humor? That post was really meant for Annachie, though I certainly don't begrudge anyone else a laugh or two. Your very type of uptightness is why I interjected the humor in the first place.

"Can you post something factual, besides your anecdotes? Something that is actually a recognizable response to the points made against your position?"

"Geez, why are you so uptight, it was just humour, lighten up"

That's what's happening here, and you wonder why people like gc or me are angry with you, or smr (who uses the same tactics, but fewer words)?

You call us arrogant or disconnected, but you might want to check in the mirror for that yourself.

I'm sorry that my time has demands on me that I can't get your book publishing to you before its time. Direct your anger to my editor. Wait, that's me too. Darnit!

If you don't have the time to stay and debate like a grownup, leave and do not come back until you are willing to engage.

Having to respond to your impatience and the tone that fuels it, diminishes the time I have to formally respond to it.:D

We are not responsible for your time management. The decision to make bad posts is entirely yours.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If you don't have the time to stay and debate like a grownup, leave and do not come back until you are willing to engage.

Seems to me that cthia was being the grownup. Since I chose to wait until I had time to respond to that particular post. I wasn't aware there was a a time limit. Or is that time limit imposed solely on cthia?

Just because I didn't have the time to respond to that particular post like I want to, doesn't mean that I couldn't respond to another post that didn't require as much of my time. I wasn't aware that wasn't an option. Or is it simply not an option for... cthia.

I also wasn't aware that I couldn't post a bit-o-humor. Or is that just not an option for... cthia? Cthia, who has cause to have much joy in his life, and who's not angry at the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees.

I also wasn't aware that you are gcomeau's spokesperson or daddy, that you feel you have to respond for him. I wasn't aware that he couldn't respond for himself.

And now you think that you are my daddy too? Gcomeau might go for it, but cthia? Please, don't waste yourself.

I'll respond to posts when I wish to, and when my time permits me to. Not when you or gcomeau or anyone else wants me to. Got it? I think you can understand it. You had sense enough to put your pants on this morning. The fact that you think you have any say on the subject of when I respond to posts, is inherent in what that cartoon you posted is all about. Ironic you failed to get the message yourself. S'pose that meaning was hidden too deeply for you.

You can keep spitting this crap out all you want. It reflects on YOU. And yes, I wanted to know what the rush for my post was all about. Especially since it is known that one of the most busiest American holidays is upon... Americans. And yes, I called for a little more substance before such anger is shown. I didn't want him to waste his anger on something silly, and not have any left in reserve when he really needs it. LOL

The fact that smr calls for a bit of decorum as well, has nothing to do with me. Both of our efforts have to do with how we were raised, I suspect. Certainly in my case. I don't suppose it frightens him anymore than it does me. It just makes me VERY THANKFUL for my parents. And I'm sure that he knows that posts like this, is not a reflection on us.

At any rate, you end up telling me to wait until I'm ready to engage a post. Yet, that's what I thought I was doing. Not that I needed your permission. It's common sense. But thanks for your permission anyways. In case I needed it and wasn't aware of it.

What sense does it make for gcomeau to get upset because I responded to another poster before responding to him? Then his daddy(?) coming to the rescue and telling me I should wait until I'm ready, literally after explaining to him I didn't because I needed some time, because of prior commitments? What business do yo think it is of yours when I respond to someone else anyway? (Please don't think you can explain that.)

I know he isn't your daddy or spokesperson, gcomeau. At least I don't think he is. Tell him that. He doesn't seem to be aware of it.

And yes, I do think it is highly arrogant to think a non-American can tell an American about gun control and gun ownership in America when you haven't a clue about being American or have lived or grown up in America, along with the many other disconnects a non-American has made about life. In America.

Albeit, it would be much much much much much much worse if I would try to pull off the same thing about a very important political issue in Germany, France or any other foreign country. Why, because cthia knows better. Yet, I would bet on myself, without hesitation, to be the single person on this forum to have traveled and seen as much of other countries and exposed to other cultures. I still wouldn't be that arrogant.

Everyone wasn't raised the same. Sometimes I simply have to consider the source. I'm sure you'll blame me for my posts souring, despite it was instigated by gcomeau. And now by you. Albeit I'm accustomed to it from you and have come to expect no more. I'm sure your response won't surprise me. I'm sure I'll ignore it.

We are not responsible for your time management.

No, I am. Which is what I was trying to do. But somewhere you got confused into thinking you are responsible for my time management. Or you both would have just waited for my response.

Either I'm confused or you are. An intelligent person reading the thread can get which. Regardless of any cliques here. If not. Oh well. The sun will still rise and set tomorrow. With or without either of us.

At any rate, I would think that most people would know enough to be thankful to discuss guns in America, with an American, and that they would know to be respectful enough that said American would even want to engage non-Americans in this area, since he has many a dilemma wrestling with the idiots in his own country over it, to have any desire or willingness at all, to repeat and rinse with outsiders.

But hey, I'm not infallible either.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually yes.

Local laws turned up at 02:00 or so because the daughters horse had gotten out.

He was standing about 20 feet back from the door when we got there :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

cthia wrote:Seems to me that cthia was being the grownup. Since I chose to wait until I had time to respond to that particular post. I wasn't aware there was a a time limit. Or is that time limit imposed solely on cthia?

...why was cthia talking about himself in the third person?
And irregularly at that?
Is this a new thing that I am unaware of?
Perhaps cthia is actually a Gand rather than a human...
Must be a rather famous one (albeit newly risen to fame...)
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually I did laugh at it a little.

Of that list, most are actually a fair way north of here.

Brown Snakes and Redbacks are about the only thing around here.
The dogs tend to keep the snakes out of the yard and we're lucky enough to have some less than deadly spiders that appear to eat the redbacks.

Daryl would see a few more on that list.

Did help rescue a Koala the other day.
Poor thing had been hit by a car while crossing the road and fled up a tree.
It was in such a bad way that I nearly suggested shooting it as opposed to a risky rescue.
But I guessed that Wildlife Rescue might not have appreciated that suggestion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

An interesting and accurate post cthia. The strange thing though is that despite us having all those lethal creatures it is very rare for someone to be killed by any of them. Steve Irwin who you quoted was killed by a sting ray, which normally isn't considered dangerous.
Sorry if you get emotional about gun access discussions, it's just that most people in the developed world (including many in the US) don't share the guns maketh the man ethos. One aspect that I find strange is the delusion that having a gun makes you safer, like it comes with a force field. If I was holding a person at gunpoint I'd be unlikely to shoot them, but if they pulled a gun then I would.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:An interesting and accurate post cthia. The strange thing though is that despite us having all those lethal creatures it is very rare for someone to be killed by any of them. Steve Irwin who you quoted was killed by a sting ray, which normally isn't considered dangerous.
Sorry if you get emotional about gun access discussions, it's just that most people in the developed world (including many in the US) don't share the guns maketh the man ethos. One aspect that I find strange is the delusion that having a gun makes you safer, like it comes with a force field. If I was holding a person at gunpoint I'd be unlikely to shoot them, but if they pulled a gun then I would.

Life Down Under
More humor. I'm gonna get in truuuuuuble...

Riddle me this. Is there a such thing as a picnic in Australia?

Not for the wildlife, but for people. People are the picnic.

Heck, you've got a stonefish that has a sting so painful you simply crawl up in a ball, and just say f**k it and die. And he's sitting on the bottom of the ocean, just in case you wanna be a smartass and think you can tip-toe ashore. You have the most venomous this, the most venomous that, heck, you don't just want dangerous creatures, you gotta have THE MOST DANGEROUS in their species. It's as if God made a lot of dangerous creatures one day, then fell asleep. It must have been day six when he rested. Then he woke up and found they had all gotten out somehow and he said, "Oh shoot." Then he opened up heaven and let 'em all fall to Earth. Guess where they all fell? Go on, take a whack at it, I promise you'll get it right!

I've been to Aussie several times. Always in a nice hotel in the big cities. Now that I saw a certain documentary to make me aware of just how much danger lurks down under, I won't ever make the trip again unless I'm allowed to book and bring a tank. And if I see a croc, I'm gonna blast it. If I see a snake, I'm gonna blast it. So be forewarned. If you invite me to your home, expect me to roll up packing in an M1A1 Abram. So do make sure you clear your lawn of any toys. Because if it looks like a spider, walks like a spider, you're gonna end up with a huge crater in your front yard!

And then I still won't exit the tank until I treat a large area with a flame thrower, 'cause your frickin bull ants ain't no joke either. What the heck did Australia do to the big man upstairs? I saw a video where a kangaroo kicked a man's ass. There's a big bird who has a kick that breaks bones. A big freakin' bird! I thought big bird was a gentile Sesame Street character. MY ASS! I would imagine American kids wouldn't like seeing big bird in Australia. And Aussie kids seeing Sesame Street probably wants to kick big birds ass for being an imposter.

Your snakes look so dangerous that they frighten you in a photo. A funnel web spider, a taipan snake. Heck, even the name itself of most Aussie creatures frighten you. Australian creatures frighten you worse than a horror movie. One of my friends said that documentaries on Australian wildlife is like watching a rocky horror picture show. Even your ants can't just be called an ant. Oh no! He's a BULL ANT. "I ain't just an ant you American punk. I'm a BULL of an ant."

What the heck does Australians need guns for? You're already surrounded, out venomed and out numbered. You wouldn't want to shoot at anything and simply piss something off, would you?

"WTF!? Did you just shoot at us? GET HIM!"

On that website, it gives two numbers like so, 10/10. The first number is the danger level. The second number is the chance of seeing one. The chance of seeing one is listed as a 10 for all top 30 creatures. I assimilate that as being the same as warning you that they're everywhere!

Be afraid. Be very afraid when you come down under. I am. I'm very am!

When Crocodile Dundee came to NY, no wonder he was bored out of his wits.

The only reason you really need a gun in Australia, is to shoot yourself if you get cornered.

The sky isn't safe either, the Australian Magpie is up there. It's related to the butcherbird family. The butcherbird family? A bunch of butchers?

Then you got the Southern Cassowary on the ground that stands 6-ft tall and weighs 130 lbs, the big bird I mentioned a while ago. Really Australia, really? Do you really have to have a bird that's tall enough to look a man in the eye? It has razor sharp spurs and has one of the strongest kick forces of any animal. It says he's very territorial. Cool, he can have the entire Northern and Southern territories for all I care. If he perceives a threat, he will attack. No wonder you don't care for guns. Guns are perceived as threats. They'll only serve to get you killed in Australia.

"Human intruders in Cassowary habitat have been ripped open, disemboweled, or killed instantly by the slicing force of a Cassowary attack." OMG!

I've seen several jellyfish incidents on beaches in my lifetime and it looks painful as hell. Screaming galore. But America's jellyfish are little jellyfish compared to -- you guessed it, Australia's. You simply have to be the best, predator wise, huh Australia?

Running from bulls in Spain. Please. Australians have to run from everything.

What's the national pastime in Australia? Running for your life!

Australia has what, of course, the largest species in the world called the lion's mane jellyfish. A lion of a jelly fish? WTF Australia! 8 ft. head, 10- feet of tentacles, weighing in at a hefty quarter ton! That thing is so big it turns lifeguards into women. I know that for a fact because they've taken to wearing pantyhose for protection. Don't worry, no man in Australia is ashamed of wearing pantyhose if they've got the balls to live down under! Then I find out that they've been found in New Hampshire, here in the states. One set of tentacles broke off stinging 150 people. Do me a favor Australia. Do keep your pets down under please.

Then Australia has the Portuguese Man O' War that's responsible for 10,000 stings a year. I was under the impression there's only about 11,00 people in Australia. This damn thing is attacking everybody. And everybody knows a gun won't shoot underwater. LOL

Then there's the Irukanji jellyfish. The smallest box jellyfish that's only 5mm in size. I suppose it has a Japanese-like name cause it's so small you never see it coming. Like a ninja. But it has the venom a whopping 200 times that of a cobra. Of course, you guessed right again. THE MOST VENOMOUS animal toxin ON EARTH!

Now I know what happened to the dinosaurs.

The idiots took a detour through Australia one day. They didn't make it.

"It seems to go without saying that the most poisonous, deadliest and meanest of all the jellyfish inhabits Australia. The variety of box jellyfish known as the sea wasp or marine stinger is widely regarded as one of the most deadly creatures on earth. Along with other box jellies they have been responsible for at least 5,568 deaths recorded since 1954.

The 15 tentacles can reach up to 3 metres (10 ft) long and each is covered in around half a million venom infused, microscopic darts. It is estimated that each animal contains enough venom to kill 60 adult humans. The venom acts fast too and it can kill within minutes causing cardiovascular collapse. It also attacks the nervous system and skin cells.

The actual sting has been compared to being branded with a red hot iron. It is said that the pain can be so severe that it may result in shock leading to drowning or heart failure on its own. Whilst stings are often survived pain can continue for weeks and there may be permanent scarring resembling whip marks across affected areas.

With 24 eyes, four brains and an impressive 60 anal regions (whatever they are) the box jelly fish are definitely an advanced and formidable creature."

Sound like a live Manticoran flechete gun to me. With eyes. Lots of eyes.

In Australia, its as if people are the ones in a zoo being watched!

May as well fess up. I already know. The reason you don't own guns in Australia is because everything there will only take it from you and shove it right up your candy ass.

Australia has made Australians the toughest, most fearless people in the world. What on Earth do you need guns for? You wrestle crocs for a living.

And there I was thinking a hexapuma was soooo bad. Please. Bring his butt to Australia, the bull ants will take care of his ass.

Return to Politics