Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

And yet, somehow, all of these ‘oppressed minorities’ succeed in this country. Everywhere I look I see people of every background going to college, getting good jobs, buying houses, owning businesses, getting appointed to important positions, elected to public office — and, often as not, reviled as ‘traitors to their own kind’ for ‘sellin’ out’ and ‘actin’ white’. Now THAT’S racism.

The E wrote:And what are those reasons? Why is someone with the wrong address less creditworthy (all things being equal) than someone with a "good" address?

But, as they found out the hard way, all things were NOT equal. The government forced banks to make those loans and most of them defaulted, kicking off that financial meltdown we had in 2007. Several of those banks went broke.

Way to go, Clinton! You 'helped' all those people right into foreclosure!

The E wrote:You are now invited to explain why people with african-american sounding names have a harder time getting job interviews

I've never seen any evidence of that. Everywhere I've worked, they interviewed and hired black people too. Never heard any complaints.

The E wrote:Why are black men punished for behaviours that middle-aged white women can indulge in freely?

Why would anybody want to wear one of those stupid things in hot weather? I've seen it, and it makes no sense. Hoods are for when it's cold enough to make your ears hurt. Wearing them at any other time just looks stupid. Hell, it IS stupid.

And, a lot of young black criminals wear them to hide their faces. Middle-aged female white criminals, not so much. It may have escaped your notice, but in this country two out of every three crimes are committed by young black males. Many of them dress and act in certain distinctive manners. If people see a young black male dressed and acting like a criminal, I think a little suspicion is excusable. I blame the criminals, not the people who don't want to be assaulted and robbed.
———————————
"Ow do you know she's a witch?"
"She turned me into a newt!"
"…A newt?"
"W- b- wl- It got better!"
Post by The E   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 pm

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
The E wrote:You are now invited to explain why people with african-american sounding names have a harder time getting job interviews

I've never seen any evidence of that. Everywhere I've worked, they interviewed and hired black people too. Never heard any complaints.

You are a white man. You wouldn't.

Anyway, that you haven't seen any evidence tells me that you haven't looked.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w9873
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/ ... 55114.full

Why would anybody want to wear one of those stupid things in hot weather? I've seen it, and it makes no sense. Hoods are for when it's cold enough to make your ears hurt. Wearing them at any other time just looks stupid. Hell, it IS stupid.

I note, with curiosity, that this hasn't got anything to do with the actual argument I made.

And, a lot of young black criminals wear them to hide their faces. Middle-aged female white criminals, not so much. It may have escaped your notice, but in this country two out of every three crimes are committed by young black males. Many of them dress and act in certain distinctive manners. If people see a young black male dressed and acting like a criminal, I think a little suspicion is excusable. I blame the criminals, not the people who don't want to be assaulted and robbed.

If the statement by officials is that wearing certain clothing (without specifying what that clothing is) is forbidden, then why is it not forbidden to all?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:08 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Annachie wrote:Doesn't suprise me Fly.

Though in the '60's the clearance rates would have been affected by the masty habit to pin murders on convienent people and not the actual murderer.

The best evidence bssed on DNA fingerprinting suggests perhaps one-tenth of one percent of 1950 to 1960s era convictions were false convictions.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:08 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
Annachie wrote:Doesn't suprise me Fly.

Though in the '60's the clearance rates would have been affected by the masty habit to pin murders on convienent people and not the actual murderer.

The best evidence bssed on DNA fingerprinting suggests perhaps one-tenth of one percent of 1950 to 1960s era convictions were false convictions.
Which you must admit, is a lot, and I bet they barely scratched the surface.

Actually, the clasic example is Huricane.

Yeah, he did it. But prosecutorial misconduct bought him two mis-trials.
Misconduct that seemed to be pretty normal practice back then.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:23 am

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The best evidence bssed on DNA fingerprinting suggests perhaps one-tenth of one percent of 1950 to 1960s era convictions were false convictions.

Which, given that evidentiary standards didn't include DNA testing as something to take into consideration before the 1980s, doesn't really tell you anything useful.
Post by smr   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:23 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Life is really funny, lose a home and a person begins to realize why their rights guaranteed y the Constitution are important. My house in 2017 was flooded by 5 feet of water because of Hurricane Harvey. Looters tried to enter the resident to pick through a person's belongings. Many items of value to myself and my family disappeared. Firearms are a necessary evil for self-defense or when the law can not guarantee safety and order. I sure some yahoo is going to try to say that these people are oppressed or some other load of garbage. Well, my answer to these people are bullets because they are not stealing to survive but to profit off of someone's tragedy.
Post by smr   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:26 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Life is really funny, lose a home and a person begins to realize why their rights guaranteed y the Constitution are important. My house in 2017 was flooded by 5 feet of water because of Hurricane Harvey. Looters tried to enter the residence to pick through a person's belongings. Many items of value to myself and my family disappeared. Firearms are a necessary evil for self-defense or when the law can not guarantee safety and order. I sure some yahoo is going to try to say that these people are oppressed or some other load of garbage. Well, my answer to these people are bullets because they are not stealing to survive but to profit off of someone's tragedy.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Smr, You do have a point about that situation.
I live in a state that also has severe tropical storms (called cyclones in the southern hemisphere, hurricanes in the northern). What has puzzled people here is the slow recovery from such disasters in the US. When we have similar disasters the federal and state governments rapidly move to restore civilisation and order. Infrastructure like electricity, water and roads is restored, law and order with armed police, and the residents assisted in many ways to rebuild.
There have been TV documentaries showing devastated US areas months, and sometimes years, later still not recovered. Strange.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:00 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The E wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:The best evidence bssed on DNA fingerprinting suggests perhaps one-tenth of one percent of 1950 to 1960s era convictions were false convictions.

Which, given that evidentiary standards didn't include DNA testing as something to take into consideration before the 1980s, doesn't really tell you anything useful.

Actually, that DNA evidence is useful because so many prior convictions were investigated after DNA fingerprinting technology became available in 1989. There has been a very aggressive effort to challenge convitions that were perceived as questionable. The very small number and percentage of prior convictions that have been overturned by DNA fingerprinting is extremely strong evidence that the false conviction rate was never significant. It certainly was not anywhere near 30%.

Perhaps you are presuming that the false conviction rate in the US was very high because of your bigoted prejudices that Americans are all abunch of ignorant rednecks who would falsely convict the innocent out of spite?
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

It's interesting no note.

Fly's little eviction story from the 16 yr olds voting thread, would have been major news here in Australia.
Maybe even to a national level.

Would it have gotten even one line if Fly's hometown?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics