Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by The E   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 am

The E
Admiral

pappilon wrote:Short answer is NRA Lobby giving over $15,000,000 to the Republican National Committee and about the same to individual senators. As one Senator honestly stated, we will change our stance on firearms legislation when we start losing elections over it.

As it has been stated in other topics, you need 60 senators to vote for "cloture", an end to debate and move for a vote on the floor. Currently the republicans have 51 votes, which effectively kills any national legislation.

They win elections by being pro unlimited gun ownership. Or put the other way, candidates espousing gun ownership limits do very poorly in elections.

Oh, I know all that. I'm assuming Senior Chief and the others know it too. What I'm actually curious about is how they rationalize this being a good thing.

(Ancillary thought: Have none of you pro-gun people ever considered that "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" only makes sense if you want to sell two guns?)
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:27 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:
pappilon wrote:Short answer is NRA Lobby giving over $15,000,000 to the Republican National Committee and about the same to individual senators. As one Senator honestly stated, we will change our stance on firearms legislation when we start losing elections over it.

As it has been stated in other topics, you need 60 senators to vote for "cloture", an end to debate and move for a vote on the floor. Currently the republicans have 51 votes, which effectively kills any national legislation.

They win elections by being pro unlimited gun ownership. Or put the other way, candidates espousing gun ownership limits do very poorly in elections.

Oh, I know all that. I'm assuming Senior Chief and the others know it too. What I'm actually curious about is how they rationalize this being a good thing.

(Ancillary thought: Have none of you pro-gun people ever considered that "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" only makes sense if you want to sell two guns?)

Limiting their news viewing to FOXNEWS, living in the bubble that keeps telling them the government is bad and just wants to oppress them.

As Joe Goebbels said, tell a lie often enough and loud enough ... The proof that he is right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:57 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Been seeing Americans destroying their AR15's rather than risk them being used in a mass shooting.

Which strikes me as stupid.

Just buy a decent gun safe, and don't tell your kids how to get into it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Because of the latest massacre Trump is pushing for a ban on bump stocks, which weren't used in the shooting. They are a stupid idea anyway. Military teach to use semi auto aimed shots instead of "Spray and pray" anyway. Full auto is useful for reducing human wave attacks, and that's about it.
Post by The E   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am

The E
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Because of the latest massacre Trump is pushing for a ban on bump stocks, which weren't used in the shooting. They are a stupid idea anyway. Military teach to use semi auto aimed shots instead of "Spray and pray" anyway. Full auto is useful for reducing human wave attacks, and that's about it.

Bump stocks weren't used in this latest example of why making guns less accessible would be a good idea, but they were used in the Las Vegas shooting.
Post by biochem   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:
Daryl wrote:Because of the latest massacre Trump is pushing for a ban on bump stocks, which weren't used in the shooting. They are a stupid idea anyway. Military teach to use semi auto aimed shots instead of "Spray and pray" anyway. Full auto is useful for reducing human wave attacks, and that's about it.

Bump stocks weren't used in this latest example of why making guns less accessible would be a good idea, but they were used in the Las Vegas shooting.

I don't particularly like the idea of a complete ban. That will just trigger a fire sale on bump stocks to get one before the ban kicks in. Plus people will be making the things with just enough variance to be barely legal etc etc... It would be more effective to regulate them as machine guns. Most of the people who would otherwise be looking to buy them pre-legislation or for other ways around the law, would then be content knowing that if they really really wanted one in the future they could get one. Few will ever actually go through with the expense and bother.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

It sounds like a reworking of the ban that stalled in the Senate.

Gun discussion on Facebook.

Somebody threw out the "treat guns like cars" chestnut.

About half way through answering I realized why the USA had about twice the traffic fatalities as Australia does. (Well, a few reasons why. I'm sure there's more)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:It sounds like a reworking of the ban that stalled in the Senate.

Gun discussion on Facebook.

Somebody threw out the "treat guns like cars" chestnut.

About half way through answering I realized why the USA had about twice the traffic fatalities as Australia does. (Well, a few reasons why. I'm sure there's more)

I think its genetic. Along with the tired, hungry and homeless, we also got all the malcontents dumped on our shores.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Annachie   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Hope this works.[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/3b5e1dfa50721eba9b1597e6c34904a4.jpg[/img]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pappilon   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Sorry, doesn't seem to.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Return to Politics