Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Guns, Guns Guns

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:17 am

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2200
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Quite amazing response time if you know London and how difficult it is to get around there. Top marks.
We do have some people here and in the UK saying that if citizens could have as ready access to guns as the US then these losers could have been stopped earlier. My answer (as a gun owner) is that if guns were more readily available they wouldn't have had to depend on knives and many more would have died.
smr wrote:Or "Run, Hide, and Tell!" that's the official UK police response to terrorist incident. I give them good credit for a good response time of 8 minutes from the first emergency call to the death of the losers!

Annachie wrote:Personally, I'd be happy if they made gun licenses/purchases dependant on sucessful completion of a proper gun safety course, appropriate to the gun involved.

Something along what the NRA does.
Hell, they'd be the perfect body to do all the mandatory stuff.


For reference and from memory (from a few years ago)
To go duck hunting down here you need to pass a duck recognition course.

The Sporting Shooters assoc run the courses but I think it's the government that conducts the exam.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by dscott8   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 am

dscott8
Captain of the List

Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:17 am

Daryl wrote:Quite amazing response time if you know London and how difficult it is to get around there. Top marks.
We do have some people here and in the UK saying that if citizens could have as ready access to guns as the US then these losers could have been stopped earlier. My answer (as a gun owner) is that if guns were more readily available they wouldn't have had to depend on knives and many more would have died.


IMHO this argument is vastly overrated. Imagine the incident on London Bridge, but with half the citizens drawing their concealed weapons. In the stress of that moment, how do they know the good guys from the bad guys? You see person A shooting at person B, is that a terrorist shooting an innocent or a CCW holder like yourself shooting a terrorist?

CCW requirements are a joke. Here in Florida, my prior military service would have let me get my permit without attending training, even though the Army taught me NOTHING about the legalities of using deadly force in Florida or how to make a shoot/don't shoot decision in a civilian situation.

A concealed weapon would do you good when some guy tries to rob you in a parking lot, or if you happen to be in a store that's being held up. Not so much in a mass chaos situation like London Bridge.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Daryl   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2200
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Probably didn't even make the minor US news but a big deal to us is how an Australian woman was shot by police in Minneapolis. She called 911 because she heard a possible assault outside her home, when they arrived, she walked up to their car in her pyjamas, and was shot.
Additional colour is added in that she didn't want to go and live in the US because of the gun culture, and her US fiance talked her into it.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by biochem   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

Daryl wrote:Probably didn't even make the minor US news but a big deal to us is how an Australian woman was shot by police in Minneapolis. She called 911 because she heard a possible assault outside her home, when they arrived, she walked up to their car in her pyjamas, and was shot.
Additional colour is added in that she didn't want to go and live in the US because of the gun culture, and her US fiance talked her into it.


She was shot by the POLICE who have guns in almost every country. As is typical in these cases the officer was a bad actor. There were multiple complaints against him including excessive force. Studies have shown that this type of disciplinary history is the number 1 predictor for being involved in a bad shooting. He should have been fired long ago. In his case he was protected since he is a Somali refugee with a interesting life story. Unfortunately it may protect him from the full consequences as well. I expect the apologists on the left to start lionizing him, claiming discrimination etc and smearing the Australian victim claiming that she deserved it.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 am

gcomeau
Commodore

Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:24 pm

biochem wrote:
Daryl wrote:Probably didn't even make the minor US news but a big deal to us is how an Australian woman was shot by police in Minneapolis. She called 911 because she heard a possible assault outside her home, when they arrived, she walked up to their car in her pyjamas, and was shot.
Additional colour is added in that she didn't want to go and live in the US because of the gun culture, and her US fiance talked her into it.


She was shot by the POLICE who have guns in almost every country.



But in almost no other developed nations are the police ridiculously trigger happy because they have it unendingly pounded into their heads that they could die at any second because guns are freaking everywhere.

That has consequences.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by biochem   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

gcomeau wrote:

But in almost no other developed nations are the police ridiculously trigger happy because they have it unendingly pounded into their heads that they could die at any second because guns are freaking everywhere.

That has consequences.


With his disciplinary history, he would have been a problem anywhere.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am

Annachie
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1602
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Yes but trigger happy US police is a self fulfilling prophecy, and the automatic Thin Blue Line is now harming more than helping.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by dscott8   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:44 am

dscott8
Captain of the List

Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:17 am

Daryl wrote:Probably didn't even make the minor US news but a big deal to us is how an Australian woman was shot by police in Minneapolis. She called 911 because she heard a possible assault outside her home, when they arrived, she walked up to their car in her pyjamas, and was shot.
Additional colour is added in that she didn't want to go and live in the US because of the gun culture, and her US fiance talked her into it.


It certainly did make the major US news. It's under investigation with the eye of public scrutiny focused on it. Also, as usual, there are self-appointed pundits who have already judged the case and assigned guilt based on their personal ideology. Please stay tuned.
Top
Re: Guns, Guns Guns
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 am

gcomeau
Commodore

Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:24 pm

biochem wrote:
gcomeau wrote:

But in almost no other developed nations are the police ridiculously trigger happy because they have it unendingly pounded into their heads that they could die at any second because guns are freaking everywhere.

That has consequences.


With his disciplinary history, he would have been a problem anywhere.


Kind of skipping past the detail where with his disciplinary history most "anywhere's" in the developed world wouldn't have him running around the city armed because they don't treat guns like entitled children's toys.
Top

Return to Politics