Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Secession

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Secession
Post by KNick   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 pm

KNick
Admiral

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about the various seccession petitions. For a short while the media was making a great deal about the sentiments behind them. So, is the White House answering any?
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by viciokie   » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:16 am

viciokie
Captain of the List

KNick wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about the various seccession petitions. For a short while the media was making a great deal about the sentiments behind them. So, is the White House answering any?

Last i heard they dont meet minimum standards to get a white house review. the petition for a death star however has gained that status oddly
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:44 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

viciokie wrote:
KNick wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about the various seccession petitions. For a short while the media was making a great deal about the sentiments behind them. So, is the White House answering any?

Last i heard they dont meet minimum standards to get a white house review. the petition for a death star however has gained that status oddly

So at least something important is being reviewed by a government! =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified....
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by JimHacker   » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:58 am

JimHacker
Captain (Junior Grade)

Spacekiwi wrote:
Daryl wrote:In the UK there is a serious attempt by some in Scotland to secede from the UK, with a vote coming up in late 2014 that Westminster has agreed to abide by. Most expect that it will not pass though. From what I've read it appears to be a similar situation to what you are describing where the central (federal) power is dominated by the heavily populated major urban centres, and values across the nation are varied. As an example, what does a latte sipping advertising executive in Manhattan know about raising hogs in Kansas? Here in Australia there are rumblings about the resource rich states of Western Australia and Queensland seceding from the rest.
Generally it's not a good idea but there are exceptions like the Soviet Union that needed breaking up.

you think Aus is bad? we are smaller then some of the states in the US or Aus, and even so we have several groups in NZ here who want to break us up even further. But then again, we also have political problems with seperating the cook islands from us... IIRC they are the only protectorate left in the world, and they dont want to stop being a protectorate, as there are too many benefits to staying a (semi) part of NZ. Then we ahve the ones who want to join Aus, and the ones who want Aus to become our 4th and 5th big islands.

The scotland thing sounds interesting,but it all depends on how its worded. IIRC, the ones who are advocating for it dont want a full split, they just want more autonomy, but those who are against it are wording it as a full split to discourage the public from voting for the idea. not entirely sure though. anyone here who is a Brit/Scot/North Irish/Welsh who can confirm?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RE: the Scotland independance thing

Sorry, you're wrong. They really are talking about a full split with the UK. I think it was always unlikely to go through but events around the time of the vote or a good 'get out the vote' programme might have swung things (about 30 to 45% of Scots are in favour of independance depending on phrasing). However, this is looking much less likely now. Alex Salmond, leader of the Scottish National Party and First Minister of Scotland, was recently caught out. He said he'd sought legal advie and that Scotland would be able to remain in the EU if it became independant. It turned out he'd lied about seeking advice, and then it turned out that actually Scotland wouldn't remain in the EU at all and would have to apply for membership (which takes decades but would certainly be vetoed by the Spanish anyway). Virtually all visions of an independant Scotland include it being a part of the EU, so that pretty much got shot in the head.
-------------------------------
Happiness is not having what you want
Nor is happiness wanting what you have
Happiness is believing that tomorrow you shall have
what you want today

..//^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
.._/''*''\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

JimHacker wrote:RE: the Scotland independance thing

Sorry, you're wrong. They really are talking about a full split with the UK. I think it was always unlikely to go through but events around the time of the vote or a good 'get out the vote' programme might have swung things (about 30 to 45% of Scots are in favour of independance depending on phrasing). However, this is looking much less likely now. Alex Salmond, leader of the Scottish National Party and First Minister of Scotland, was recently caught out. He said he'd sought legal advie and that Scotland would be able to remain in the EU if it became independant. It turned out he'd lied about seeking advice, and then it turned out that actually Scotland wouldn't remain in the EU at all and would have to apply for membership (which takes decades but would certainly be vetoed by the Spanish anyway). Virtually all visions of an independant Scotland include it being a part of the EU, so that pretty much got shot in the head.

ah. ok. that was what my local newspaper was intimating in its pieces regarding the split, but that puts it in a whole new light, although at least they said about the fake advice bit and that they couldnt join straight. but why would the spanish veto?

`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by JimHacker   » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 pm

JimHacker
Captain (Junior Grade)

Spacekiwi wrote:
JimHacker wrote:RE: the Scotland independance thing

ah. ok. that was what my local newspaper was intimating in its pieces regarding the split, but that puts it in a whole new light, although at least they said about the fake advice bit and that they couldnt join straight. but why would the spanish veto?

Mr Salmond was very embarrassed when it came out he'd lied - and then a month or so later (last week in fact) various EU spokesmen came out and said that they'd need to reapply. So he's even more embarassed.

Spain would veto because, guess what, they're dealing with several secessionist movements of their own. While these movements are popular in certain regions (especially Catalan i believe) Madrid and the general spanish electorate is very much against it. Blocking an independant Scotland from joining the EU and sabotaging any trade agreements between them and the EU would be a way of Madrid sending a messages to its own secessionists. A successful independant Scotland would be very bad for them. A struggling one would be rather beneficial however. Of course, Spain would never be so blatant as to do this without coming up with a decent and rational sounding excuse but everyone would know why they did it.
-------------------------------
Happiness is not having what you want
Nor is happiness wanting what you have
Happiness is believing that tomorrow you shall have
what you want today

..//^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
.._/''*''\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Return to Politics