Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Is it finally time to flush the filibuster?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Is it finally time to flush the filibuster?
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

And its racist roots?

Personally, I dislike a law that allows elected officials to waste time loitering without accomplishing a damn thing. Except the prevention of passing laws. Sure, I don't mind their $180k a year lordly salaries for wasting time. The "do nothing Congress" - a phrase that really suits it as of late - works less than half the days in a year.

That amounts to Strom Thurmond's infamous 24hr 18 minute filibuster wasting a whopping $1200. That is a stimulus check for a needy American.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Is it finally time to flush the filibuster?
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:And its racist roots?

Personally, I dislike a law that allows elected officials to waste time loitering without accomplishing a damn thing. Except the prevention of passing laws. Sure, I don't mind their $180k a year lordly salaries for wasting time. The "do nothing Congress" - a phrase that really suits it as of late - works less than half the days in a year.

That amounts to Strom Thurmond's infamous 24hr 18 minute filibuster wasting a whopping $1200. That is a stimulus check for a needy American.

Oops, I should have used a slide rule. That should be multiplied by 100 senators which amounts to 12k. Stimulus checks for 100 Americans.

Actually the senators salary in 1950, Thurmond's era, was only 120k. 120k is equivalent to $1,309,613.28 today. So, Thurmond actually wasted $7275. Multiplied by 100 senators equals $727,500 of taxpayer money. While some of them certainly slept, and possibly wept.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:And its racist roots?

Oops, I should have used a slide rule. That should be multiplied by 100 senators which amounts to 12k. Stimulus checks for 100 Americans.

Actually the senators salary in 1950, Thurmond's era, was only 120k. 120k is equivalent to $1,309,613.28 today. So, Thurmond actually wasted $7275. Multiplied by 100 senators equals $727,500 of taxpayer money. While some of them certainly slept, and possibly wept.

The filibuster is designed to insure minority control and needs to go. As currently implemented, it's probably unconstitutional. And It's probably the single largest factor at the public's long standing disgust with Congress for getting almost nothing done.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

A “do-nothing” congress is about as good as we can reasonably expect to get. I don’t think Chuck Schumer is going to toss it aside, not after he saw how quickly eliminating the filibuster for judicial appointments came back to bite the democrat party. As we saw in ‘16, not even having the full throated support of the corporate media and all of Hollywood can guarantee victory in the ballot box.
Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake

Return to Politics