Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Change the format of the debate!!!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Change the format of the debate!!!
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What would you change?

We know why the format is the way it is. Debates aren't historical cash cows for the networks. They don't generally draw huge audiences or generate huge incomes from commercials like the mind boggling costs of a single slot consisting of seconds during a Superbowl game. Like the insane $33M shelled out for Chanel's "The Film." So let's change it!

Does anyone else think it is high time we change the format of the political debate? I was a member of the debate team. That and my impeccable logic has gotten on many of your nerves. But the forum is for the fun and enjoyment of book discussions.

The political process is different, and all of the traditional rules of debate settle nothing when so much is laying on the line. I find myself wanting to hear everything the candidates have to say. Let them talk for at least five to ten minutes each per subject or question. And for chrissake let's give the moderator the power to actually moderate. Each candidate can be given a microphone that can be shut off during his opponents turn. Or—what would have worked perfectly and which also would have been appropriate during this pandemic—place each one in a cubicle. Shut off their microphone when it isn't their turn. These type of debates shouldn't be about the party, or the candidate, but about the constituents and the country. I think it's long since overdue that we change it.

Let the debate go on for a few hours. Give the candidates a halftime break like the Superbowl. Let the networks make money by changing the format to something the American people actually want to watch.

Do not allow any candidate to disrespect another. We have such rules in collegiate debates, but not in political debates for the future of our country?

Allow each candidate to ask the other a series of questions.

Pick several journalists from the circuit and allow them to ask a series of questions too. Perhaps that will make each President respect journalists a lot more during their first term, knowing they may see that journalist again for all the marbles.

At any rate, all in favor say aye.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Change the format of the debate!!!
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The Film

Of course, it is a drop-dead gorgeous long-legged Aussie hussey. Let Nicole be herself in a commercial during the debate. I'll watch it if only just for the commercials, like many do during the Superbowl.

Hey, we're talking the Superbowl of debates!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:36 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Er, your Biden again said that he is running for Senate?

Seems like Democrats really need to consider pre-recording his speeches.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:13 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:Er, your Biden again said that he is running for Senate?

Seems like Democrats really need to consider pre-recording his speeches.

Lol, yeah I saw that.

Then I realised something. Biden's gaffs like that get reported widely due to their infrequency. Trumps are almost expected.
Or so it seems.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:18 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Annachie wrote:
Then I realised something. Biden's gaffs like that get reported widely due to their infrequency. Trumps are almost expected.
Or so it seems.

My point is, that both of them seems much better suited to be debating in rocking chairs on retirement house lounge, rather than on TV competing for presidency. Couldn't Supreme Court ban them both from elections, citing their failing mental state?

Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Come on guys, that's not fair to Biden. Trump's entire term has taught us that anyone who comes too close to him is also affected by his insanity. See his entire circle.

I've never come close to the idiot, and his four years has driven me to the edge of losing my fucking mind.

Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
Annachie wrote:
Or so it seems.

My point is, that both of them seems much better suited to be debating in rocking chairs on retirement house lounge, rather than on TV competing for presidency. Couldn't Supreme Court ban them both from elections, citing their failing mental state?

Fair point, and nope. There's no constitutional requirements for running for President. Just for being President. Hell, after you fill in the paperwork (which is not a constitutional requirement btw) you don't even have to be alive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by n7axw   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Look at the age of some serving in Congress...
Pelosi is 80. McConnell is 78. Grassley is 87. Feinstein is 87. In fairness to these people none of them are drooling. In fact all seem fairly sharp.

But yes, some age ceilings need to be imposed, maybe age 65 for running for president. Biden I've always liked. He seems reasonably sharp.. As for his gaffing, he has always done that. It long predated his senior status. I winced a bit when he decided to run for president, simply because he is a bit too old. He still has it now, but 2, 3 years up the road? As for Trump, well, nuff said. I would have preferred Harris on top of the ticket, with Joe in the background giving sage advice.

On the bright side, Joe does seem healthy and physically fit. If things hold up as they appear now, he will win on election day.

Pelosi has suggested a presidential capacity commission to monitor a presidents fitness for office on an ongoing basis. She's reacting to Trump. But the idea could equally be applied to Joe. I would be in favor of that.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by jchilds   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:13 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:Fair point, and nope. There's no constitutional requirements for running for President. Just for being President. Hell, after you fill in the paperwork (which is not a constitutional requirement btw) you don't even have to be alive.

They have to be at least 35, natural born citizen and a US resident for 14 years, don't they?
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am

Dilandu
Admiral

n7axw wrote:Look at the age of some serving in Congress...
Pelosi is 80. McConnell is 78. Grassley is 87. Feinstein is 87. In fairness to these people none of them are drooling. In fact all seem fairly sharp.

But the mere fact is a rather disturbing sign that essentially political elite are suspicious of any politicians younger than they are. They do not understood them, and consider them "ideologically dubious". Essentially, the same as the ol' Communist Party of Soviet Union in 80s.

Return to Politics