Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

Change the format of the debate!!!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Change the format of the debate!!!
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 pm

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:What would you change?

We know why the format is the way it is. Debates aren't historical cash cows for the networks. They don't generally draw huge audiences or generate huge incomes from commercials like the mind boggling costs of a single slot consisting of seconds during a Superbowl game. Like the insane $33M shelled out for Chanel's "The Film." So let's change it!

Does anyone else think it is high time we change the format of the political debate? I was a member of the debate team. That and my impeccable logic has gotten on many of your nerves. But the forum is for the fun and enjoyment of book discussions.

The political process is different, and all of the traditional rules of debate settle nothing when so much is laying on the line. I find myself wanting to hear everything the candidates have to say. Let them talk for at least five to ten minutes each per subject or question. And for chrissake let's give the moderator the power to actually moderate. Each candidate can be given a microphone that can be shut off during his opponents turn. Or—what would have worked perfectly and which also would have been appropriate during this pandemic—place each one in a cubicle. Shut off their microphone when it isn't their turn. These type of debates shouldn't be about the party, or the candidate, but about the constituents and the country. I think it's long since overdue that we change it.

Let the debate go on for a few hours. Give the candidates a halftime break like the Superbowl. Let the networks make money by changing the format to something the American people actually want to watch.

Do not allow any candidate to disrespect another. We have such rules in collegiate debates, but not in political debates for the future of our country?

Allow each candidate to ask the other a series of questions.

Pick several journalists from the circuit and allow them to ask a series of questions too. Perhaps that will make each President respect journalists a lot more during their first term, knowing they may see that journalist again for all the marbles.

At any rate, all in favor say aye.

I don't know about a prohibition on disrespecting the other candidate. I would have found it hilarious if Vice President Pence had said "Kamala, you ignorant slut!"

David Weber would recognize what movie this was paraphrased from.

We have a serious problem in that allegedly neutral debate moderators are picking the questions to ask. The favoritism is obvious to anyone who isn't suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome. I would greatly prefer a debate format in which the candidates pick questions to ask of each other. There obviously could be prepared questions, but as the debate progresses, the candidates would have to be asking questions that are relevant in context of previous responses. What questions the candidates ask would be just as informative as their answers to prepared questions.

We also have to question the wisdom of Chris Wallace presuming to fact check President Trump will allowing Biden to go full fucktard.

As for my preference of candidates, Biden is the obvious loser because he was pay off the Obama administration. The decision to shoot down production of the F-22 fighter and destroy the production line was so insane that no one connected to it should be allowed to serve in the executive branch ever again.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:29 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:Look at the age of some serving in Congress...
Pelosi is 80. McConnell is 78. Grassley is 87. Feinstein is 87. In fairness to these people none of them are drooling. In fact all seem fairly sharp.

But the mere fact is a rather disturbing sign that essentially political elite are suspicious of any politicians younger than they are. They do not understood them, and consider them "ideologically dubious". Essentially, the same as the ol' Communist Party of Soviet Union in 80s.

I don't think your situation in Russia in the 80s is congruent with ours here at all. Truth is these people keep going back to Washington because the voters keep sending back, wisely or no. For example, the establishment Republicans certainly would not have picked Trump or other alt right candidates to go to Washington for fear of losing elections. But they won their primaries. Some of them lost in the general election, others like Trump won, albeit narrowly. But the point is that the voters ultimately called the shot. Once the voters spoke, the establishment had to bend.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ahhhh! Somebody is listening. They are threatening to cut off Trump's microphone if he interrupts the next debate!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

cthia wrote:Ahhhh! Somebody is listening. They are threatening to turn off Trump's microphone if he interrupts the next debate!

An excellent move. People won't be able to hear him say stupid things and will therefore be more likely to think he is intelligent.
:roll:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
cthia wrote:Ahhhh! Somebody is listening. They are threatening to turn off Trump's microphone if he interrupts the next debate!

An excellent move. People won't be able to hear him say stupid things and will therefore be more likely to think he is intelligent.
:roll:

Yep! And they're talking about changing other rules too! About damn time!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:10 pm

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:

Let us ignore the First Amendment. The gaggle of shit brained liberals who dominate journalism and internet platforms shall be empowered to dictate who is allowed to express their opinions and what politically correct opinions people are allowed to express.
Post by Joat42   » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Joat42
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
cthia wrote:

Let us ignore the First Amendment. The gaggle of shit brained liberals who dominate journalism and internet platforms shall be empowered to dictate who is allowed to express their opinions and what politically correct opinions people are allowed to express.

Please explain how the first amendment is impacted. I do hope you understand that you are free to express yourself however you want at your own expense. What you aren't entitled to is to use someone else's property to carry your speech.

Also, if a majority of journalists and internet platforms are dominated by "liberals" that tells us that conservative views aren't particularly popular.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:04 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
cthia wrote:

Just maybe Trump should have to learn how to play in the sandbox by taking turns and not interuptimg Biden 182 times in the next debate. Speaking as a shit brained liberal, that seems fair enough to me...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Daryl   » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:09 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Media seems to me to be dominated by the Murdoch empire, which assuredly isn't left leaning.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
cthia wrote:

n7axw wrote:Just maybe Trump should have to learn how to play in the sandbox by taking turns and not interuptimg Biden 182 times in the next debate. Speaking as a shit brained liberal, that seems fair enough to me...

Don

-

For sure. Someone has to teach him consequences. We certainly know who has been coaching him how to rule with an iron fist with no regard to parliamentary procedure.

Look how WE handle debates back home, my friend.

It is also obvious where Trump got one of his favorite tactics, Whataboutism. Wikipedia acknowledges Trump's usage by including him on the list. Trump's play book is obvious. Make a mockery out of democracy. The Russian way.

Return to Politics