Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Dump wipes his ass with the Hatch Act

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Dump wipes his ass with the Hatch Act
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Wha—

Huh?

Now Dump and his family are wiping his ass with the Hatch Act.

The Republican National Convention will be heavy on members of President Trump’s family, as well as conservative congressional allies of the president, senior administration officials and viral stars who have gained fame and a following on the right.

The lineup of speakers, released by the president’s campaign Sunday, will feature at least one person from Trump’s family — many of whom work either at the White House or on his reelection efforts — on each of the four nights of the convention. Trump himself speaks Thursday night.

“Over four nights, President Trump’s 2020 Convention will honor the great American story, the American people that have written it, and how President Donald J. Trump's Make America Great Again agenda has empowered them to succeed,” the campaign said in a statement announcing the list.

Ivanka Trump, a senior adviser to the president, will be introducing her father before his formal acceptance address Thursday, according to a White House official. The White House said Ivanka Trump’s appearance at the RNC will be in her personal capacity and thus does not violate federal law barring government workers from political actions.

“Like all government employees, she is free to engage in political activity in her personal capacity,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said. “The White House worked with the Office of Special Counsel to ensure that her appearance was in full compliance with the Hatch Act.”

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Dump wipes his ass with the Hatch Act
Post by Annachie   » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:02 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'm not 100% Ivanka would be violating the act, but Kayleigh is 100% wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Many of my friends with my sisters leading the pact are still bitching about Kelly Conway doing it on multiple occasions. I still think Ivanka is too. But they are not alone in the dastardly deed.

Professor Kathleen Clark, an expert of government ethics at Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, told Law&Crime that in past administrations, there have been high-level officials who violated the Hatch Act, but they apologized and took responsibility for those actions. High-level administration officials under President Donald Trump have repeatedly violated it, and “and other ethics laws that prohibit the abuse of government power for private gain,” she said.

“President Trump has refused to punish or even admonish high-level officials who violated the law in ways that have benefited him or his family,” she said. “President Trump punishes officials who abide by ethics rules and refuse to use government power to improperly benefit him (e.g., AG Jeff Sessions), and refuses to punish those who violate ethics rules to improperly benefit him (e.g., Conway).”

Fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions famously stoked the president’s resentment after recusing from the Russia investigation. On the other hand, Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway, one of Trump most staunch defenders in the media, still has her job even after the Office of Special Counsel determined she repeatedly violated the Hatch Act and they recommended she lose her position. She “violated the Hatch Act on numerous occasions by disparaging Democratic presidential candidates while speaking in her official capacity during television interviews and on social media,” they wrote in a June 2019 press release.

The bottom line of the law is that federal employees shouldn’t be using federal power to affect a partisan political election, including a reelection, Clark told Law&crime.

One provision is that federal employees cannot participate in partisan political activity while in a room or building in which federal employees do their business. This has been interpreted as not reaching the personal quarters of the president. But a Hatch Act violation could occur, for example, if federal authority were invoked on the South Lawn to affect the election. If federal employees were in involved in the managing of that endeavor, then this may violate a provision, including a criminal one, Clark said.

“If President Trump serves a second term, we can anticipate that his administration will double down on violating laws (such as the Hatch Act) intended to protect the public trust,” she said.

We asked Clark what the Trump administration’s behavior revealed about weaknesses in the statue. She said the law is insufficient if we have an administration committed to violating and ignoring it.

“That’s basically what we have with the Trump administration,” she said. Clark pointed out we also rely on the United States Merit Systems Protection Board, and the Department of Justice. We have reason to believe the DOJ will not enforce the law against Trump and his officials, however, she said. The record demonstrates our vulnerability in the face of an administration that is not committed to the law, she said.

“We were relying on the good faith of the government to apply and comply with the law,” she said. Our mechanisms for accountability were failing, she said.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Where is everyone's wrath about Obama's cronies for doing the same thing. These employees spoke at Obama's convention as well.

Then-Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan all took the stage in Charlotte, North Carolina on the "same day" while Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki and Karen Mills of the U.S. Small Business Administration spoke the day after.

Seems to be everyone is selective...
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:Where is everyone's wrath about Obama's cronies for doing the same thing. These employees spoke at Obama's convention as well.

Then-Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan all took the stage in Charlotte, North Carolina on the "same day" while Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki and Karen Mills of the U.S. Small Business Administration spoke the day after.

Seems to be everyone is selective...

So.. I think all of them where actually dinged by the OSC at the time.

But seriously, when you feel the need to defend a wrong action by pointing out that someone else also did something wrong you aren't actually defending anything.

Someone that actually was grounded and true to himself would have expressed disappointment at what is happening now.

Someone who say that they vote Republican and use other peoples actions as an excuse to defend the same action isn't interested in the truth, the law or what's right - only that their "party" win, regardless.

Further, using others peoples actions as an excuse also means you implicitly condone everyone who done or will do the same thing. Lets give a cheer for lawlessness and for fooling yourself to feel better!!

A question for everyone who have been in military service: Did your commander ever accept an excuse built on pointing out that someone else also fucked up in the same way?

. . .didn't think so. . .

The whole shtick with the "look look, they also did something bad" is kindergarten-level reasoning, and it belongs there because children don't know any better at their age. A grown man using the same excuse? . . . . :roll:

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:21 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Some government officials have exemptions from aspects of the Hatch act.

However, that exemption comes with stricter bans on other elements.

Senior aids, etc, can be in very murky waters, as it's unclear whether they are in the exempt group or not.

That being said, using any part of the White House, except the residence, IS a violation as it will almost certainly cause regular staff to violate it one way or the other.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics