Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests

Erasing the past then you will repeat in the future

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Erasing the past then you will repeat in the future
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:
Daryl wrote:People of European background living in China report high levels of negative racial discrimination. This is not a simple black versus white situation.

No, it's not. It's a simple majority/minority situation, where the majority creates structures and systems that benefit them and that, whether by design or by mistake, create disadvantages for people not belonging to that majority (And let's be clear: There is a very well-documented history of the current situation in the US being designed the way it is in order to preserve the power of rich white men).

The point being, if one of the central tenets of your political structure is "all men are created equal", then you shouldn't be surprised if your society is a) judged on how well that tenet is being followed and b) that it may be found wanting.

"ALL MEN (AND WOMEN) ARE CREATED EQUAL..." I see this as a goal toward which we are traveling, not the current reality. The real question is if we share the journey toward the goal or if we settle down content with things the way they are.

I am encouraged by the fact that over 70% of Americans agree that racism is wrong and must be corrected. That means that at least potentially they are travelers. The settlers are a very loud, noisy minority right now. But they don't represent those of us on the journey striving toward the goal.

Now we got to get the police to stop killing unarmed black men...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
"ALL MEN (AND WOMEN) ARE CREATED EQUAL..." I see this as a goal toward which we are traveling, not the current reality. The real question is if we share the journey toward the goal or if we settle down content with things the way they are.

I am encouraged by the fact that over 70% of Americans agree that racism is wrong and must be corrected. That means that at least potentially they are travelers. The settlers are a very loud, noisy minority right now. But they don't represent those of us on the journey striving toward the goal.

Don

-

Nice post! Would you mind if I adjust that last line, just a little?

And add an addition, overall?

That should be, stop murdering black men, PERIOD! Whether they are armed or not. Unless they are definitely threatening. Black people are allowed to receive permits to carry weapons too. All too often, a cell phone, a toy gun, a hunting knife, a black wallet, or a phucking bag of chips is "confused" for a gun. The "I think he had a gun" excuse is exhausting, to say the least.

I once met a black man years ago who told me he will never register his weapon because "That simply alerts the police to have his weapon drawn to shoot before he even gets out of the squad car at the slightest sight of suspicious activity. And to all white cops, ALL black people are suspiciously black. Therefore, dead on arrival."

Those of us who are truly journeying towards the aforementioned goal are indeed to be commended. If truly we are journeying, and not simply selling lip service while we are in the street. These street salesmen are easily located. They can be found gathered in the most numerous, highly visible places during the most segregated hour in America. HERE!

BTW,

It is obvious that ALL LIVES MATTER

EXCEPT!

The lives unceremoniously shot down like rabid dogs in the street, unmercifully, murdered before our very eyes, for daring to have the color of skin their maker gave them.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:32 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I read a sad article a day or so ago. Written by a black doctor in the US who works in the front line. Being too tired to change as usual, he went shopping in his scrubs (theater gear) and noticed that he wasn't being followed in the shop by security, that the cops were polite, that all of a sudden he was being treated as a fellow human.
Assuming that he isn't exaggerating, this does indicate a serious attitude problem.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

That should be, stop murdering black men, PERIOD! Whether they are armed or not. Unless they are definitely threatening. Black people are allowed to receive permits to carry weapons too. All too often, a cell phone, a toy gun, a hunting knife, a black wallet, or a phucking bag of chips is "confused" for a gun. The "I think he had a gun" excuse is exhausting, to say the least.

I once met a black man years ago who told me he will never register his weapon because "That simply alerts the police to have his weapon drawn to shoot before he even gets out of the squad car at the slightest sight of suspicious activity. And to all white cops, ALL black people are suspiciously black. Therefore, dead on arrival."

Those of us who are truly journeying towards the aforementioned goal are indeed to be commended. If truly we are journeying, and not simply selling lip service while we are in the street. These street salesmen are easily located. They can be found gathered in the most numerous, highly visible places during the most segregated hour in America. HERE!

BTW,

EXCEPT!

The lives unceremoniously shot down like rabid dogs in the street, unmercifully, murdered before our very eyes, for daring to have the color of skin their maker gave them.

I regard your amendment as friendly. What I said reflected the frustration on my own heart.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

BTW,

EXCEPT!

n7axw wrote:I regard your amendment as friendly. What I said reflected the frustration on my own heart.

Don

-

Thanks... it was indeed meant to be friendly, but I too suffer from a lifetime of frustration. Indeed by interacting with you over time, I have no doubt what side of the fence you stand. Knowing that you are also a pastor I knew you would appreciate the amendment and understand my frustration and embarrassment over religion because of its still segregated nature, and not only it's refusal to lead the charge on this matter, but it's reluctance to acknowledge the problem exists. There is a notion that says reform must first begin at home. Churches are our most sacred homes. I won't put you on the spot and specifically ask if you tackle it in your church. I know it isn't as simple as that, but shouldn't it be?

If we can't accept that Black people are equal in our most sacred homes, how will society ever change? And how can we expect it to?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Politics