Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Putin bounties on US troops, and Trump's response.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Putin bounties on US troops, and Trump's response.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:16 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Sigh. Would any one of you, "definitely-not-anti-Russian-how-dare-you-suggest-it-you-evil-Russian" care to invent the reason? Why would Russia be doing it? What could we gain from here? What interest we may have in such actions - do you ever tried to actually, I don't know, think about it?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I can understand how you are annoyed by this, but it does appear to have some credence.
I'm not anti Russian, had a Russian Girlfriend for a couple of years. A good friend's wife (whom I like) is also Russian. I am anti dictator for life types like Kim, Vladamir and Xi.
It would fit in Putin's known personality for him to be doing this to reassure his close hard line henchmen that he's still tough.
That doesn't mean that I have a problem with Russian people though.

Dilandu wrote:Sigh. Would any one of you, "definitely-not-anti-Russian-how-dare-you-suggest-it-you-evil-Russian" care to invent the reason? Why would Russia be doing it? What could we gain from here? What interest we may have in such actions - do you ever tried to actually, I don't know, think about it?
Post by Joat42   » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 am

Joat42
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:Sigh. Would any one of you, "definitely-not-anti-Russian-how-dare-you-suggest-it-you-evil-Russian" care to invent the reason? Why would Russia be doing it? What could we gain from here? What interest we may have in such actions - do you ever tried to actually, I don't know, think about it?

I can see a reason for doing it. If US experiences more fatalities in Afghanistan, the calls for pulling the soldiers out increases and that may well end with that they are actually pulled out. That also means that Russia can increase its influence in that region, and looking back it's more or less the same goal the US had during the Soviet-Afghan war - increase your influence at the expense of your opponent.

I have another observation to make, and that is that we all know that all "superpowers" do a lot of shady things we know nothing about so saying that Russia didn't do this because we don't know of a reason is naive.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

There is also a possible revenge factor. When Russia invaded Afghanistan all those years ago, we were very busily supporting the opposition. I can visualize Putin thinking, "what goes around comes around."

The real issue isn't what Putin is doing which from our perspective isn't good. It's that Trump, instead of acting as the President of the United States, is acting as Putin's lackey...which is what he's been doing all along. His campaign motto should be "make Russia great again." He's certainly not loyal to us.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Ahem.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/17/poli ... index.html

US intelligence agencies assessed that Iran offered bounties to Taliban fighters for targeting American and coalition troops in Afghanistan, identifying payments linked to at least six attacks carried out by the militant group just last year alone, including a suicide bombing at a US air base in December, CNN has learned.

So, it was Iran, and not Russia, despite the avalanche of "arguments" local Eaglelanders launched?

I'm waiting for apology...

Post by gcomeau   » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:37 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:Ahem.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/17/poli ... index.html

US intelligence agencies assessed that Iran offered bounties to Taliban fighters for targeting American and coalition troops in Afghanistan, identifying payments linked to at least six attacks carried out by the militant group just last year alone, including a suicide bombing at a US air base in December, CNN has learned.

So, it was Iran, and not Russia, despite the avalanche of "arguments" local Eaglelanders launched?

I'm waiting for apology...

Right after you show us what part of that reporting says "Iran NOT Russia" (as opposed to "Iran AND Russia")... paid bounties.
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
Right after you show us what part of that reporting says "Iran NOT Russia" (as opposed to "Iran AND Russia")... paid bounties.

Lying as usual?

"Bounties" were paid by a foreign government, identified to CNN as Iran, to the Haqqani network -- a terrorist group that is led by the second highest ranking leader of the Taliban -- for their attack on Bagram Air Base on December 11, which killed two civilians and injured more than 70 others, including four US personnel, according to a Pentagon briefing document reviewed by CNN.
The name of the foreign government that made these payments remains classified but two sources familiar with the intelligence confirmed to CNN that it refers to Iran.

Afghanistan to release 400 Taliban prisoners, paving way for direct peace talks
Afghanistan to release 400 Taliban prisoners, paving way for direct peace talks
The US killed a key Iranian general in Iraq less than a month after the Bagram attack but after a lengthy process involving several agencies to develop options aimed at countering Iran's support for militant groups in Afghanistan. The decision was made in March not to take specific action as officials did not want to jeopardize the peace process with the Taliban, according to multiple sources familiar.
The revelation that Iran might have paid the Taliban follows the controversy over Russian bounties for attacks on American troops, an issue that has been consistently downplayed by the Trump administration in recent weeks.
Russia has denied the allegation.

The article mention Russia only in context of prior accusations. Which, as I said above, didn't make any sense. Essentially it is clear now, that the "bounties" were paid by Iran, and Russia have nothing to do with that.

Seriously, even American lies became substandard...

Post by gcomeau   » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:17 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
gcomeau wrote:

Lying as usual?

Pointing out the obvious is lying?

Nowhere in that article does it say Russia wasn't paying bounties. This is just new reporting that Iran paid some too.

Maybe instead of just copying and pasting that article text you should spend a little more time reading it.

The article mention Russia only in context of prior accusations.

Yes.

Accusations which haven't changed or been retracted.

So... this makes Iran AND Russia accused. Not Iran INSTEAD OF Russia. Get it?
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:19 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Pointing out the obvious is lying?

"If telling the truth is deception, then we are gladly guilty..."
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics