Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

SDNY in open rebellion against Trump/Barr corruption.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
SDNY in open rebellion against Trump/Barr corruption.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:47 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Earlier today Trump and Barr tried to "resign" the US Attorney running SDNY on his behalf by just announcing his resignation without him ever giving it then trying to nominate the chair of the SEC to replace him... Jay Clayton.

Jay Clayton has never been a prosecutor.

What he has been is a lawyer representing Deutche Bank. One of Trump's largest lenders and the subject of SDNY investigations involving Trump.

In response Berman (a Trump appointee himself by the way who nonetheless has actually been prosecuting people in Trump world for their crimes no doubt royally pissing off Trump and Barr) responded with this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/geoffre ... ces-2020-6

Manhattan US attorney says he has 'no intention' of resigning after AG Barr tried to force him out, adds that investigations will continue 'without fear
or favor'

“I learned in a press release from the Attorney General tonight that I was ‘stepping down’ as United States Attorney. I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position. I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate. Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption."
Re: SDNY in open rebellion against Trump/Barr corruption.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:56 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Right after SCOTUS took him to task for not following procedure too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:15 am

The E
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:In response Berman (a Trump appointee himself by the way who nonetheless has actually been prosecuting people in Trump world for their crimes no doubt royally pissing off Trump and Barr) responded with this:

Small correction: Berman is not a Trump appointee. He was appointed to the office by a panel of SDNY judges because Trump did not, in fact, nominate anyone for the office and had the Senate confirm the nomination.

That, in fact, is the legal reason why Berman isn't leaving his office: He is appointed until such time as either the Senate confirms a replacement or he himself steps down. Barr literally does not have the power to remove him.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:05 am

gcomeau
Admiral

The E wrote:
gcomeau wrote:In response Berman (a Trump appointee himself by the way who nonetheless has actually been prosecuting people in Trump world for their crimes no doubt royally pissing off Trump and Barr) responded with this:

Small correction: Berman is not a Trump appointee. He was appointed to the office by a panel of SDNY judges because Trump did not, in fact, nominate anyone for the office and had the Senate confirm the nomination.

That, in fact, is the legal reason why Berman isn't leaving his office: He is appointed until such time as either the Senate confirms a replacement or he himself steps down. Barr literally does not have the power to remove him.

Ah, I knew he took over SDNY during Trump's term but missed that... thanks E.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:03 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

So the Administration tripped over its flat feet agaim...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:00 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Small correction to the small correction.

Berman *was* a Trump appointee. He was appointed as an "acting" US attorney by Sessions after Trump personally involved himself in the candidate selection process and then the court made him permanent when the Trump admin failed to nominate a candidate to actually take the post permanently.

And to sum up the sequence of events to date...

Barr: Berman has resigned.

Berman: I have not resigned.

Barr: Trump has fired Berman.

Trump: I am not involved.

Nobody in the administration wants their fingerprints on it apparently, but Barr clearly wants Berman gone badly and urgently and given Berman went out if his way to declare current investigations would go on unhindered I think we can all guess why.

Barr is trying to kill something. And he's getting desperate.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Small correction to the small correction.

Berman *was* a Trump appointee. He was appointed as an "acting" US attorney by Sessions after Trump personally involved himself in the candidate selection process and then the court made him permanent when the Trump admin failed to nominate a candidate to actually take the post permanently.

And to sum up the sequence of events to date...

Barr: Berman has resigned.

Berman: I have not resigned.

Barr: Trump has fired Berman.

Trump: I am not involved.

Nobody in the administration wants their fingerprints on it apparently, but Barr clearly wants Berman gone badly and urgently and given Berman went out if his way to declare current investigations would go on unhindered I think we can all guess why.

Barr is trying to kill something. And he's getting desperate.

Let's say that Trump/Barr manage to fire enough people to stop the investigations... What then? Can those investigations be resumed if Trump is shown the exit and a new administration takes over?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:11 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

In theory yes.

But there could be sabotage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:56 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Annachie wrote:In theory yes.

There are also potential statute of limitation concerns on some crimes. Especially if he managed to rig things enough to get another term and delay prosecution another 4 years. During which who knows how much more damage he could do to DOJ and the courts and prosecutors offices.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:03 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
Annachie wrote:In theory yes.

There are also potential statute of limitation concerns on some crimes. Especially if he managed to rig things enough to get another term and delay prosecution another 4 years. During which who knows how much more damage he could do to DOJ and the courts and prosecutors offices.

I suspect that if Trump were to get four more years, his busy little cronies will be busy committing new crimes that can be prosecuted.

That is not comforting, is it...

Don

-

Return to Politics