Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

Iconic Bookstore Burned Down In Riots

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Iconic Bookstore Burned Down In Riots
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:25 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
gcomeau wrote:
It's a nearly 6X differential.

So take the "both sides are idiots" nonsense out of here.

Wow. Just wow.

Pointing out that trying to declare equivalency between one group killing 6 times the people of another group is nonsense gets a "wow"?

Do you also wow when told water is wet?

Nobody is excusing when someone on the left goes homicidal but this is not even close to a "both sides are idiots" BS equivalency

Uh, you just excused it.

No, I did not. Pointing out objective quantifiable facts is not "excusing" people getting killed.

Unfortunately, that’s a logical fallacy.

No, it is not. When you create a FALSE EQUIVALENCE, that is a logical fallacy.

Pointing out that doing so serves the side you are advantaging with the distortion you are creating is just stating a fact.

You can only declare that there’s no middle ground

Didn't do that. Pay attention.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:53 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I remember back in the 70s the left did have an extremism problem. Most terrorists around the world were leftists blending over into communism. There were all sorts of leftist groups trying to bring about the revolution. This was true world wide at that time.

The thing is that the mainstream left never embraced its its extremists. Marginalised, they eventually disappeared into the woodwork. Remember Patty Hurst and the Symbonise Liberation Army, anyone?

Now we arrive at the heart of the matter. The right wing has mainstreamed its extremists. That happened with the election of Donald Trump. Whether or not it will outlast him is something we will see.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:31 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The problem with the "middle ground", is that the nearest right wing elements are either being drowned out by the far right, or in hiding from it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Annachie wrote:The problem with the "middle ground", is that the nearest right wing elements are either being drowned out by the far right, or in hiding from it.

You could replace "right" with "left" and it would not lose much accuracy.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
Annachie wrote:The problem with the "middle ground", is that the nearest right wing elements are either being drowned out by the far right, or in hiding from it.

Both of you are right - and this is exactly the core of the problem.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:

Nope. You'd lose all accuracy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:24 am

The E
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:

Except it would. In the US and UK specifically, the far-right movements have coopted the center-right ones, the same is not true of these countries' left movements. The Democrats in the US are still pretty much centrist to the core (outliers like AOC excepted), whereas Labour's flirtations with actual left-wing policies were severely undercut by intra-party fighting over it.

There is, bluntly, no internal resistance in the tories to UKIP; one only needs to look at characters like Gove and (quite astonishingly, all things considered) Pratel for that. In the US, Republicans have dug themselves in a hole where they are suddenly incredibly vulnerable to right extremists. As for the Democrats? Do remember, first and foremost, that by the standards of more diversified political environments, the Democrats are actually a center-right party; people like Sanders and AOC are not far-left, but rather center-left when viewed under that lens.

In short: Horseshoe theory is bullshit.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think that there is a lot of truth in this. I regard myself as center left, but I don't know how I would fit in European politics

As for AOC, I share her goals, but we differ on how fast we can get there and how many incremental steps are needed between.

I like the lady a lot. She really has a sharp tongue in her. She demolished one of those right wingers on the House floor the other day in a work of artistry that was a joy to behold.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Politics