Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Trump openly inciting violence against Democrats.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump openly inciting violence against Democrats.
Post by Annachie   » Sat May 30, 2020 9:39 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

doug941 wrote:
n7axw wrote:No, you haven't heard worse from Maxine Waters. She can get pretty loud and in your face with her point of view. But she has never advocated violence against anyone. I suspect that a comment like this reflects a bias against strong black women.

As for Daryl's question, our divisions are pretty deep. From my point of view, much of what we are looking at is with the election of Donald Trump, the extreme right has been main streamed. Worse, the Republicans, instead of sticking with Reagan/Goldwater style conservatism, seem to be drinking the Trump coolaid.

I hope that what will happen after Trump is gone is that they wake up from their hang over and sober up and get back to selling conservatism to the public in a more normal way as well as opening their party to people of color since that is what they will need to do to survive in an increasingly diverse society.

But if they keep drinking the coolaid , things are goi ng to stay tense for a long time. If they choose that route, I see them marginalizing themselves. Frankly, having the Republicans spend some time in the political wilderness would be a good thing both for them and the country as a whole.

Don

-

At least be honest enough to admit that for every drop of Rightist KoolAid, there is an equivalent drop of Leftist KoolAid. Instead of trying to find common ground, BOTH parties are racing to the extremes.

Be honest. The middle left is not rushing towards the extreme but the middle right is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by doug941   » Sat May 30, 2020 11:24 am

doug941
Commander

Annachie wrote:
doug941 wrote:

-

At least be honest enough to admit that for every drop of Rightist KoolAid, there is an equivalent drop of Leftist KoolAid. Instead of trying to find common ground, BOTH parties are racing to the extremes.

Be honest. The middle left is not rushing towards the extreme but the middle right is.[/quote]

The middle Left is rushing just as much as the middle Right. Try to find a Blue Dog, not easy. Try to find a follower of one of "The Squad." Much, much easier.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat May 30, 2020 11:33 am

gcomeau
Admiral

doug941 wrote:
Annachie wrote:Be honest. The middle left is not rushing towards the extreme but the middle right is.

The middle Left is rushing just as much as the middle Right. Try to find a Blue Dog, not easy. Try to find a follower of one of "The Squad." Much, much easier.

Find me a member of the squad who has declared all Republicans should be dead, and then had Pelosi or Biden or Obama back them up and amplify the message, and I'll grant your attempt at drawing equivalency here.

If on the other hand you are trying to argue the right is rushing to extremes declaring the only good Democrats are dead Democrats and having the LEADER OF THEIR ENTIRE PARTY IN THE WHITE HOUSE RETWEETING IT and the left is running to the extreme having some of it's congresspeople trying even harder than usual to get people health insurance and shit... and attempting to convince us those are opposite and *equivalent* ends of some "extremism" spectrum... well... review your prescriptions. You may be experiencing some adverse interactions from whatever the hell you're on.
Post by n7axw   » Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

doug941 wrote:
n7axw wrote:No, you haven't heard worse from Maxine Waters. She can get pretty loud and in your face with her point of view. But she has never advocated violence against anyone. I suspect that a comment like this reflects a bias against strong black women.

As for Daryl's question, our divisions are pretty deep. From my point of view, much of what we are looking at is with the election of Donald Trump, the extreme right has been main streamed. Worse, the Republicans, instead of sticking with Reagan/Goldwater style conservatism, seem to be drinking the Trump coolaid.

I hope that what will happen after Trump is gone is that they wake up from their hang over and sober up and get back to selling conservatism to the public in a more normal way as well as opening their party to people of color since that is what they will need to do to survive in an increasingly diverse society.

But if they keep drinking the coolaid , things are going to stay tense for a long time. If they choose that route, I see them marginalizing themselves. Frankly, having the Republicans spend some time in the political wilderness would be a good thing both for them and the country as a whole.

Don

-

This current situation isn't really a matter of left v right in a normal sense, Doug. Yes, there is both leftist coolaid and rightist coolaid. That much is healthy in a democracy. People need choices. If one bunch screws up, vote the suckers out, sort of thing. Nothing wrong with that.

My perspective is sort of center left. I've been a Democrat all my life. What keeps me a Democrat is I think caring for the least among us is a social responsibility, not just an individual one. I also believe that government can be a tool in problem solving. Not the only tool, but a tool. Have the Democrats drifted left over the years? Yes, some. But not dramaticly. I remember some of the discussions back in the 60s and 70s when the Vietnam war and Medicare were the hot botton topics. Not much difference in the discussion except the subjects are now Medicare for all and immigration.

Now on to the Republicans as I see them. I won't claim an objective point of view. What they represent is small government and both social and fiscal conservatism. So far, so good. Lots of people find that attractive. If they package themselves well, they can win elections and become the governing party.

BUT...

I think that the Republicans are off the rails right now to the point where It's hard to recognize them. Small government has morphed into hatred of government. Instead of being inclusive, they have become an instrument of white power. And compromise is the equivalent of treason. Political opponents become enemies instead of political opponents. Norm Ornstein, a conservative, wrote a book which he coauthored with a liberal whose name I don't remember in which he describes the Republicans as the outlier (sp) of American politics. He traces their journey back to the 1968 election when Nixon initiated his Southern strategy to capitalize on white racial resentment to build his majority following the enactment of the civil rights act. I could trace this journey, but the bottom line is that the Republican Party has hardened into what we have today. Many of the old line conservatives are furious and have left the party over this.

You imply an equivalence, implying that both sides are equally responsible for what's happened. Untrue. We had our own brush with extremism back in the 70s. Remember Patty Hurst and her kidnapping by the Symbonise (sp) Liberation Army? That was leftist to the point of being Communist. Gonna introduce the revolution, they were... And they weren't the only ones. There were a whole clutter of left wing extremist groups out there. But mainline liberals never embraced its extremists. Instead they were marginalized. Eventually they withered up and went away.

Republicans, on the other hand, have embraced their extremists. Except in cases of extreme emergency, there is no one for Democrats to negotiate with. Compromise is treason, after all. So what we face is unrelenting opposition, sometimes to ideas that Republicans themselves once embraced.

So nope. The hard line opposition to bipartisan working together is a Republican story, not a Democratic one. The notion that there is equivalence and that both sides are at fault is a false narrative.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Right now, the only people looting and burning are avowed leftists. This speaks volumes to me.

I know nothing about the political affillitions of the officer who killed the innocent, unarmed, black man who was unjustifiably killed. (Yes, that is my view of the incident.) He might be an ultra right wing, KKK type. However; there is also a dynamic of institutionalized police paranoia in America that often causes police officers to over react to perceived threats. I blame this unreasonable fear on the propaganda employed by the gun control lobby.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat May 30, 2020 8:05 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Right now, the only people looting and burning are avowed leftists.

Someone wasn't listening to the briefings this morning and is instead reading Trump's twitter feed for information, obviously.

In the meantime, the mayor of Minneapolis who is actually on site and engaged in dealing with the rioting:

https://twitter.com/MayorFrey/status/12 ... 9366008833

https://twitter.com/MayorFrey/status/12 ... 0234225669

In the last few days, both our city and state law enforcement capacities have been overwhelmed by simple math — an overwhelming ratio of rioters that even our unified effort has been unable to push back.

We are now confronting white supremacists, members of organized crime, out of state instigators, and possibly even foreign actors to destroy and destabilize our city and our region.

Last time I checked, white supremacists were not "avowed leftists".
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

There have been quite a few interesting research projects done into the differences between those who are predominantly conservative or progressive. Leaving out the middle 60% or so who don't think about politics much.
General findings include -

Similar statistically small numbers of highly intelligent people in each camp.
Conservatives overall average out 10 IQ points lower than progressives. A theory is that brighter people see change as an opportunity, while dumber people see change as a threat.
Progressives generally test higher in empathy and compassion, while conservatives call them "bleeding hearts".

An interesting aside is how conservatives tend to believe illogical fake news memes, no matter how weird they are, while similar attempts to float stuff in the progressive community go nowhere. An example was at the last US federal election, apparently Clinton was running a child slavery and paedophile ring from the non existent basement of a pizza shop.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun May 31, 2020 2:41 pm

TFLYTSNBN

gcomeau wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Right now, the only people looting and burning are avowed leftists.

Someone wasn't listening to the briefings this morning and is instead reading Trump's twitter feed for information, obviously.

In the meantime, the mayor of Minneapolis who is actually on site and engaged in dealing with the rioting:

https://twitter.com/MayorFrey/status/12 ... 9366008833

https://twitter.com/MayorFrey/status/12 ... 0234225669

In the last few days, both our city and state law enforcement capacities have been overwhelmed by simple math — an overwhelming ratio of rioters that even our unified effort has been unable to push back.

We are now confronting white supremacists, members of organized crime, out of state instigators, and possibly even foreign actors to destroy and destabilize our city and our region.

Last time I checked, white supremacists were not "avowed leftists".

The Mayor is so far to the left wing of the political spectrum that Malcolm X would seem like a rightwinger to him.

https://login.verizonwireless.com/acces ... ted%3Dtrue
Post by The E   » Sun May 31, 2020 5:34 pm

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The Mayor is so far to the left wing of the political spectrum that Malcolm X would seem like a rightwinger to him.

https://login.verizonwireless.com/acces ... ted%3Dtrue

And a link to Verizon's account recovery page proves this how....?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:27 am

TFLYTSNBN

Watching the mob in Portland preparing to escalate their riot. No KKK or Swastikas.

Return to Politics