Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Flu & Covid19

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Flu & Covid19
Post by n7axw   » Fri May 15, 2020 1:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I'm not wanting to double post, but I didn't want my comments to be confused with Zeihan's.

I think that Zeihan accurately describes China's economic and political predicament. Keep in mind that immediately prior to the plague, China was plagued by a near rebellion in Hong Kong. China's regime is fragile.

I disagree that China is so militarily disadvantaged. The Intermediate Nuclear Forces treaty enabled China to develop forces that were forbidden to the US and Russia. Antiship ballistic missiles that severely out range the F-35 and the F-18 make it extremely hazardous for carriers to engage China. The US has a few tricks up it's sleeve, but a war with China would not be easy. The risk of nuclear escalation is serious.

What I am hoping will happen is that Trump will exploit the global outrage about China's duplicity without pressing them so hard that they go on the warpath. A gradual repatriation of critical manufacturing to America in combination with a global trade meltdown will cripple China's economy without pushing them ovdr the edge. After a decade of economic implosion and political upheaval, China will no longer be a peer threat.

At a guess, that is what this business in the South China Sea is all about... China is trying to gain control over energy resources close to home...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri May 15, 2020 4:15 pm

TFLYTSNBN

n7axw wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:I'm not wanting to double post, but I didn't want my comments to be confused with Zeihan's.

I think that Zeihan accurately describes China's economic and political predicament. Keep in mind that immediately prior to the plague, China was plagued by a near rebellion in Hong Kong. China's regime is fragile.

I disagree that China is so militarily disadvantaged. The Intermediate Nuclear Forces treaty enabled China to develop forces that were forbidden to the US and Russia. Antiship ballistic missiles that severely out range the F-35 and the F-18 make it extremely hazardous for carriers to engage China. The US has a few tricks up it's sleeve, but a war with China would not be easy. The risk of nuclear escalation is serious.

What I am hoping will happen is that Trump will exploit the global outrage about China's duplicity without pressing them so hard that they go on the warpath. A gradual repatriation of critical manufacturing to America in combination with a global trade meltdown will cripple China's economy without pushing them ovdr the edge. After a decade of economic implosion and political upheaval, China will no longer be a peer threat.

At a guess, that is what this business in the South China Sea is all about... China is trying to gain control over energy resources close to home...

Don

-

It would be tremendously helpful to China, but not enough to meet even intermediate term needs.

https://amti.csis.org/south-china-sea-e ... velopment/
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 16, 2020 6:29 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

“Don’t forget, we have more cases than anybody in the world. But why? Because we do more testing,” Mr Trump told workers at a medical supply plant in Pennsylvania yesterday.

“When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing we would have very few cases.

“They don’t want to write that. It’s just common sense.”

If we didn’t do any testing we would have very few cases.

Groan.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat May 16, 2020 9:15 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Daryl wrote:If we didn’t do any testing we would have very few cases.

Isn't that pretty much how China decided that they were Covid-19 -free in Wuhan?
They stopped testing.
No tests means no (officially recognized) cases and therefore anyone who's ill must have something else entirely.
No cases means that everything's alright.

Seriously, it does make sense if you are willing to look at more than just the surface. Trump just phrased it badly, inserting the word "known" between "few" and "cases" would have been more accurate.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by n7axw   » Sat May 16, 2020 11:28 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
Daryl wrote:If we didn’t do any testing we would have very few cases.

Isn't that pretty much how China decided that they were Covid-19 -free in Wuhan?
They stopped testing.
No tests means no (officially recognized) cases and therefore anyone who's ill must have something else entirely.
No cases means that everything's alright.

Seriously, it does make sense if you are willing to look at more than just the surface. Trump just phrased it badly, inserting the word "known" between "few" and "cases" would have been more accurate.

That doesn't mean that it makes any sense. It merely means that you've buried your head in the sand with your arse sticking in the air. Covid would still be there and people still dying.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat May 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

n7axw wrote:That doesn't mean that it makes any sense. It merely means that you've buried your head in the sand with your arse sticking in the air. Covid would still be there and people still dying.

Which is what China seems to have done.
They are not testing for Corvid-19 and using that to explain that they have no positive tests coming back.
Have you noticed that they've refused to give a number (ballpark or otherwise) about how many negative tests they've confirmed?
You can only have Covid-19 deaths if you recognize them. if you refuse to recognize the cause as Covid-19, it must be "Causes unknown".
It is simple so long as you assume that changing the definition changes reality. With that assumption, you can re-define anything to look good.
Of course, reality has a way of biting back...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat May 16, 2020 5:54 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Michael Everett wrote:
n7axw wrote:That doesn't mean that it makes any sense. It merely means that you've buried your head in the sand with your arse sticking in the air. Covid would still be there and people still dying.

Which is what China seems to have done.
They are not testing for Corvid-19 and using that to explain that they have no positive tests coming back.
Have you noticed that they've refused to give a number (ballpark or otherwise) about how many negative tests they've confirmed?
You can only have Covid-19 deaths if you recognize them. if you refuse to recognize the cause as Covid-19, it must be "Causes unknown".
It is simple so long as you assume that changing the definition changes reality. With that assumption, you can re-define anything to look good.
Of course, reality has a way of biting back...

You are nailing the key issue. I have observed double digit, daily increases in confirmed cases as various countries ramp up their testing. Thanks to the incompetence of the CDC, the US was late identifing cases. Once the US aggregated it's fecal matter, the growth rate was huge. The curve flattened as we started testing more people who were less likely to be infected. Russia is going through this transition.

What scares the crap out of me are the third world countries with high growth rates and low testing rates. I expect that within six months we will have 400 million confirmed infections and God only knows how many unconfirmed infections.
Post by n7axw   » Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
What scares the crap out of me are the third world countries with high growth rates and low testing rates. I expect that within six months we will have 400 million confirmed infections and God only knows how many unconfirmed infections.

Right. Which could mean 50 plus/minus deaths. That scares the crap out of me too.

Don

-
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 16, 2020 8:41 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I have enjoyed a lot of traveling, but suspect that my bucket list isn't going to be anywhere near finished when I'm done now. Not going near third world countries any time soon.
Post by Annachie   » Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Fly, you do realize that the Trump administration spent the best part of a month BANNING anybody else from developing a test after the CDC's one proved to be bad?

So who was more incompetant? The mob who screwed up or the mob who then prevented anybody else from trying?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics