Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

American Math... wtf?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: American Math... wtf?
Post by Annachie   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'm pretty sure Australia went metric before I was born. But I still tell people that something is a couple of miles down the road. :)
For that matter every tape measure in the house has both metric and imperial.

(OK, looks like it was a year or two after)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by n7axw   » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:55 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

What drives me crazy is when someone tells me that some place is 30 minutes away. I want to ask, with me driving??? :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:29 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Best is "If I was going there, I wouldn't start from here".
Visited Ireland a few years back, signs like "Fifty kilometres an hour for the next five miles" abounded.

n7axw wrote:What drives me crazy is when someone tells me that some place is 30 minutes away. I want to ask, with me driving??? :lol:

Don

-
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:36 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Few kids were allowed to explore the elegant simplicity of converting millimeters or centimeters to meters or kilometers, milliliters to liters or cubic meters. Even fewer were encouraged to understand that one liter of water masses a kilogram and, one cubic meter of water masses a metric ton.

There's the old joke about the British that they are slowly switching over to the metric system, inch by inch...

I guess it's applicable to the USA also.

Groan - don't. I'm a physicist myself, but had to suffer under the old Imperial system at school... shudders.

I still experience life in my head in a mixture of units - Fahrenheit for day temperatures, but Centigrade for any calculations etc.

I found myself ordering some two by four timber 2.4m in length ... sigh. [2 inches by 4 inches, or about 50mm by 100mm]

Why anyone would want to inflict that rubbish on their children is beyond me, and yet some do.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:19 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The US is shipping a lot of raw logs to Japan because American sawmills refused to saw lumber to exact metric dimensions.

Return to Politics