Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:55 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Admiral

Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

gcomeau wrote:Trump a month ago...

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done.


Trump today

"You're talking about 2.2 million deaths, 2.2 million people from this, and so, if we can hold that down, as we're saying, to 100,000—that's a horrible number—maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have between 100- and 200,000, we all together have done a very good job."


He loaded those goalposts on a space shuttle and moved them to another freaking planet.



may be Trump received new information regarding Summer not ending the pandemic or failures in attempts to develop a vaccine?
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Annachie   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:46 pm

Annachie
Admiral

Posts: 2987
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

New information? No.

Decided to listen to what the experts have been telling him for the last month or more? Possibly.

Listening to the PR advisors, well I'll let readers here be the judge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:58 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5610
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
gcomeau wrote:
may be Trump received new information regarding Summer not ending the pandemic or failures in attempts to develop a vaccine?



Perhaps he has evolved. But TFLY, he was openly contradicting the medical professionals in public and in general making a nuisance of himself when he should have been getting out the way and letting the people who knew what they we are doing get on with it. He has done some things right, but usually after he has been dragged kicking and screaming all the way. It would be very helpful if he would make sure he was well informed on what he is talking about before he speaks...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:46 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

The webcomic XKCD has put up an interesting take on the whole thing as seen from the virus' viewpoint.

See it here.

On the whole, it's positive, albeit in a restrained fashion.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-00F5-2891
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 12087
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

What does everybody think about France, Germany and Great Britain doing an end around the sanctions imposed against Iran, to get them the relief they need to deal with the pandemic that's really wreaking havoc there?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:06 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2640
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

cthia wrote:What does everybody think about France, Germany and Great Britain doing an end around the sanctions imposed against Iran, to get them the relief they need to deal with the pandemic that's really wreaking havoc there?


Well, considering that a lot of those sanctions are in place because Trump deliberately blew up the nuclear deal and those countries were pretty pissed about it that's hardly surprising even if it wasn't the right thing to do regardless on humanitarian grounds.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 am

TFLYTSNBN
Admiral

Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

OK everyone. President Trump is not a doctor. I do not expect him to get the scientific terms right all of the time. I also believe that he was mislead just like most world leaders by the Chinese who claimed that they had it under control. The science is also unsettled, particularly in regards to possible treatments with existing drugs. As I write this, Trump is being vindicated on this issue.

I also remind everyone that the hard data suggests that the US is doing extremely well compared to most Northern hemisphere peers. See here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries


The numbers on total cases seem awful, but that is because the US has a large population. When you compare infection rates and death rates, the US is doing EXTREMELY well. This reality is due entirely to Trump's willingness to impose a travel ban on China then on Eurotrash.

Right now there is considerable debate about when the social distancing can be relaxed. Trump will inevitably disagree with the doctors because he has to consider the economy as well as epidemiology. America's economy will recover from this. Europe's economy will not. This epidemic has already driven the final nails in Europes economic coffin. The survivors will have to learn how to speak Arabic because Edrogen will unleash a floor of infected refugees on you.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:08 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2640
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

TFLYTSNBN wrote:OK everyone. President Trump is not a doctor. I do not expect him to get the scientific terms right all of the time.


Nobody expects him to be a doctor TFLY.

They expect him to KNOW he isn't a damn doctor and listen to the doctors. Instead he spent months not only not listening to them but actively contradicting them on a regular basis as if he knew better than they did.

I also believe that he was mislead just like most world leaders by the Chinese who claimed that they had it under control.


He's the president.

He has an intelligence apparatus.

They briefed him on the threat. Months ago.

The science is also unsettled, particularly in regards to possible treatments with existing drugs. As I write this, Trump is being vindicated on this issue.


No he is not. Even if by some chance luck it turns out any part of the treatments Trump was boosting end up being in some way effective that is not vindication of a decision to push medical advice based on zero knowledge just because of his personal wishful thinking when all medical professionals were telling him to hold on and wait for studies to actually establish efficacy.


I also remind everyone that the hard data suggests that the US is doing extremely well compared to most Northern hemisphere peers. See here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries


As has been explained to you before, the US is simply way behind the curve and testing below required levels still (except in New York where they have ramped testing considerably)

The US is also very spread out. You're not going to get one concentrated spike all at once for the entire country like Italy. You're going to get different spikes at different times in different states as it hits different places. How big each of those spikes is will depend on the extent each state is taking adequate preventative and mitigating measures.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:50 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Admiral

Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

gcomeau wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:OK everyone. President Trump is not a doctor. I do not expect him to get the scientific terms right all of the time.


Nobody expects him to be a doctor TFLY.

They expect him to KNOW he isn't a damn doctor and listen to the doctors. Instead he spent months not only not listening to them but actively contradicting them on a regular basis as if he knew better than they did.

I also believe that he was mislead just like most world leaders by the Chinese who claimed that they had it under control.


He's the president.

He has an intelligence apparatus.

They briefed him on the threat. Months ago.

The science is also unsettled, particularly in regards to possible treatments with existing drugs. As I write this, Trump is being vindicated on this issue.


No he is not. Even if by some chance luck it turns out any part of the treatments Trump was boosting end up being in some way effective that is not vindication of a decision to push medical advice based on zero knowledge just because of his personal wishful thinking when all medical professionals were telling him to hold on and wait for studies to actually establish efficacy.


I also remind everyone that the hard data suggests that the US is doing extremely well compared to most Northern hemisphere peers. See here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries


As has been explained to you before, the US is simply way behind the curve and testing below required levels still (except in New York where they have ramped testing considerably)

The US is also very spread out. You're not going to get one concentrated spike all at once for the entire country like Italy. You're going to get different spikes at different times in different states as it hits different places. How big each of those spikes is will depend on the extent each state is taking adequate preventative and mitigating measures.



The only way to refute stubborn bigotry such as yours is to simply wait it out and count the carcasses.

Your assertion that the US is "behind the curve" is interesting. The US is behind the curve because Trump imposed travel bans, first from China then from Europe. Biden and Pelossi both have him shit about this.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2394
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

TFLYTSNBN wrote:OK everyone. President Trump is not a doctor. I do not expect him to get the scientific terms right all of the time. I also believe that he was mislead just like most world leaders by the Chinese who claimed that they had it under control. The science is also unsettled, particularly in regards to possible treatments with existing drugs. As I write this, Trump is being vindicated on this issue.


Seriously, your excuses about "bad, bad Chinese lied to us" sound just as lame as your previous wet dreams about pandemic causing business to flee from China to USA SO THE TIME COULD BE REVERSED AND AMERICAN GLORY SHINE ETERNAL!!! Both are senseless wishful thinking.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Top

Return to Politics