Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2394
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

n7axw wrote:
As for the Democrats and Republicans, if you got rid of them, what would you replace them with? They are both broadly representative of different and often conflicting philosophies and streams of thought in the electorate.
-


Actually, they seems to be the bunch of pseudo-aristocracy with heavy ties with corporate elite, who pretend to represent the "different and often conflicting philosophies and streams of thought". Their actual actions since the end of Cold War became increasingly similar (actually, Trump was a first Republican for quite a long time, who could not be mistaken for Democrat).
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by n7axw   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:16 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:
As for the Democrats and Republicans, if you got rid of them, what would you replace them with? They are both broadly representative of different and often conflicting philosophies and streams of thought in the electorate.
-


Actually, they seems to be the bunch of pseudo-aristocracy with heavy ties with corporate elite, who pretend to represent the "different and often conflicting philosophies and streams of thought". Their actual actions since the end of Cold War became increasingly similar (actually, Trump was a first Republican for quite a long time, who could not be mistaken for Democrat).


Perhaps it seems that way at a distance. Up close the differences have always been obvious. It is true, at least to some extent that the business interests have their hooks into both parties.

But Democrats and Republicans do govern differently. For example Bush tried to pull things in a different direction than Clinton or Obama. And each succeded at least some. And all three had failures.

Finally the choices are made at the ballot box. The reason that we don't have some of the liberal policies in place that I would prefer is that the electorate hasn't been convinced that those things are needed or even desirable. Even the business interests occasionally have to take that into account and bend to reality once the public has spoken.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:55 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Admiral

Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

The E wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:So, you trolled the internet until you found some random chart that showed what you wanted, and then copied it. "Hah! So there!"


To be fair, I do not need to search very hard to find american conservatives lying about something. In this case, so blatantly that the only proof Coulter offered for how "the media" lies to you about COVID is a chart showing the exact opposite of what she claimed it did; I am curious why you chose to ignore that.

Plus, I haven't seen you put forth any actual data that supports your claims. You say that "experts" say that Corona is less dangerous than it is being treated as being, but where's your proof? Who are those experts, and why should I trust them over the combined expertise of literally every respectable public health organization?

The data points you will need to explicitly and convincingly debunk are COVID's mortality rate of around 3% (beating out all-time classics like the spanish flu by .6%) and its speed of transmission. As always, feel free to convince me that reality is less bad than it seems to be.

Well, you go right on believing the lies and hype and bullshit. It's what you're best at; after all, you Believe in communism, the lie that killed a hundred million people in a hundred years.


One of these days, you will actually find an insult or a fact that invalidates something I said. I believe in you. You can do it.

When it's over the world will see who was right.


Yes. And it will be me.

But we both know you won't believe that to be the case; if everything works out right, the measures taken now will blunt the impact of the disease so much that, in total numbers, its impact won't be that heavy.

Just like back in 1998 when people woke up to the Y2k problem, spent thousands of hours and billions of dollars on fixing things, and everyone in 2000 wondered what all the fuss was about since "obviously" nothing happened.

"Yeah, that Wu Kung Flu 'pandemic' back in 2020 was batshit crazy. The virus killed a few thousand; the blind stupid hair-on-fire panic killed a hundred thousand."


Please point out on the balance sheet where the economic downturn hurt you.



I dont think Coulter was lying as much as not doing her homework. I have seen well ediucated, nonpartisan people attempt to minimize it. My opinion based on the Worldmeters information is that the Covid / China virus has a lethality rate at least an order of magnitude higher than the common flu. The lethality rate increases by another order of magnitude if the epidemic is so severe that the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

As of this writing, the total number of deaths are trivial compared to a normal Flu season. If every case now confirmed died the fatalities would be not much worse than a normal Flu season. We are looking at only 1 / 20,000 of the population. However; if the number of people infected with the Covidvirus continues to grow exponentially for another few months, it will be ugly.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2394
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
I dont think Coulter was lying as much as not doing her homework. I have seen well ediucated, nonpartisan people attempt to minimize it. My opinion based on the Worldmeters information is that the Covid / China virus has a lethality rate at least an order of magnitude higher than the common flu. The lethality rate increases by another order of magnitude if the epidemic is so severe that the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

As of this writing, the total number of deaths are trivial compared to a normal Flu season. If every case now confirmed died the fatalities would be not much worse than a normal Flu season. We are looking at only 1 / 20,000 of the population. However; if the number of people infected with the Covidvirus continues to grow exponentially for another few months, it will be ugly.


Who are you and what have you done to TFLYTSNBN? :lol:
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Daryl   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3109
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

True The E.
On other blogs I've seen people talking about "previous hoaxes" like Y2k and the hole in the ozone layer.
If brave, hard working, and competent people manage to contain this threat, there will be some people who call it a hoax, as millions didn't die. They will then try to leverage off that to discredit efforts to combat climate change.
The reward for doing a good job will be to be called liars.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:54 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Dilandu wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:
I dont think Coulter was lying as much as not doing her homework. I have seen well ediucated, nonpartisan people attempt to minimize it. My opinion based on the Worldmeters information is that the Covid / China virus has a lethality rate at least an order of magnitude higher than the common flu. The lethality rate increases by another order of magnitude if the epidemic is so severe that the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

As of this writing, the total number of deaths are trivial compared to a normal Flu season. If every case now confirmed died the fatalities would be not much worse than a normal Flu season. We are looking at only 1 / 20,000 of the population. However; if the number of people infected with the Covidvirus continues to grow exponentially for another few months, it will be ugly.


Who are you and what have you done to TFLYTSNBN? :lol:


:-) I was also struck by that :-)

TFLY that's a good clear statement...

I would add, that it is already v ugly in particular areas [northern Italy, Madrid] where the healthy systems are overwhelmed, whereas in others [such as my own] where we are much more waiting for the blow to arrive.

There was a v interesting article in the Guardian about the Madrid situation. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/spain-coronavirus-response-analysis
The root of that seems to have been
1) a football match in Italy in mid Feb that 2,500 Valencia fans attended
2) mild spring weather so in Madrid pavements, cafes & bars were filled with people being very sociable - physically close for speaking and hugging etc
3) 8th March - some massive marches in Madrid
4) various govt failures [these seem to be common to all countries]

Of concern to us in UK is that on 11th March [only 15 days ago, and incredible as it seems now], 3,000 Madrid football fans flew to Liverpool for a game. I don't know if this has shown up yet.

[edit] Just found the UK gov site which shows current numbers [tested positive] in different cities in the UK
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14
Liverpool is currently only showing 57, so maybe we dodged the bullet on that one IRC it was rubbish weather.

Of course, there is also the issue on testing [or lack of it] :-(
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by n7axw   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:44 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Last night I saw a news segment suggesting that Italy and New York might be peaking and heading down the other side... anybody else pick up on that?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Arol   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Arol
Commander

Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 am

n7axw wrote:Last night I saw a news segment suggesting that Italy and New York might be peaking and heading down the other side... anybody else pick up on that?

Don

-


Maybe in the north of Italy, but they fear it’s spreading to the south!
Haven’t seen anything regarding NYC.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... h-12576898
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2634
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

n7axw wrote:Last night I saw a news segment suggesting that Italy and New York might be peaking and heading down the other side... anybody else pick up on that?

Don

-


Nope.

The new case rate in Italy has started decelerating slightly, as has New York, indicating the lockdownscare hopefully having a flattening effect... but neither is close to going down the other side of the curve.
Top
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:46 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Admiral

Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Dilandu wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:
I dont think Coulter was lying as much as not doing her homework. I have seen well ediucated, nonpartisan people attempt to minimize it. My opinion based on the Worldmeters information is that the Covid / China virus has a lethality rate at least an order of magnitude higher than the common flu. The lethality rate increases by another order of magnitude if the epidemic is so severe that the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

As of this writing, the total number of deaths are trivial compared to a normal Flu season. If every case now confirmed died the fatalities would be not much worse than a normal Flu season. We are looking at only 1 / 20,000 of the population. However; if the number of people infected with the Covidvirus continues to grow exponentially for another few months, it will be ugly.


Who are you and what have you done to TFLYTSNBN? :lol:



Just to reassure you that I am not an imposter, I will point out that the Coronavirus is now arriving in Russia. Only now is Putin imposing travel bans. Sorry, that horse has already left the barn.

I dont believe the numbers coming out of China.

On the other hand, the US now has more confirmed cases than any other country including China. The US also has more intensive care beds than any country. Thanks to President Trump, the US is massively increasing production of medical equipment and supplies. The US is wetill behind China in production, but the US didnt know what this beastie is back in December. China knew because it had escaped from their biowarfare lab.
Top

Return to Politics