Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by Joat42   » Sat May 09, 2020 5:29 pm

Joat42
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Here is an interesting article that is actually on topic:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52318539

What is fascinating is that the BBC rather than some conservative source that would reflexively be dismissed as conspiracy mongers is publishing this.

It's not really fascinating at all if one understand the difference between how BBC presents what is known vs what some presents as fact or allege to be fact without a shred of evidence.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Annachie   » Sat May 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

What is fascinating is that the BBC rather than some conservative source that would reflexively be dismissed as conspiracy mongers is publishing this.

Firstly, BBC is very conservative but presents news etc without bias.

Secondly, at every point, it dismissed the idea that the virus came from a lab.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat May 09, 2020 7:04 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Joat42 wrote:

It's not really fascinating at all if one understand the difference between how BBC presents what is known vs what some presents as fact or allege to be fact without a shred of evidence.

Translation:

Unlike conservative sources that are willing to ask inconvieniant questions, the BBC dismisses anything that might undermine its left wing, liberal agenda as "Conspiracy Theory" until it has became almost irrefutable. Seriously; it is statistically unlikjely thgat a disease that is endemic in one species but can not infect humans suddenly becomes pandemic. It happens, but not often. Given the proximity of the Wuhan lab, only an imbecile wouldf refuse to consider the possibility until those evil right wingers accumulate enough evidence to force them to acknowledge reality.

Further translation:
the editors of the BBC have their heads shoved up their asses.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat May 09, 2020 7:15 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Annachie wrote:

Firstly, BBC is very conservative but presents news etc without bias.

Secondly, at every point, it dismissed the idea that the virus came from a lab.

I was traveling through Israel back in 1984. I was somewhat dependant on the BBC for news because I am almost entirely monolingual. I was greatly amused and disgusted to hear the BBC reporter describe in vivid detail how "American SR-71 bombers" were making straffing runs on Managua Nicaraugua. They were even describing mushroom clouds from nuclear weapons! This fraudulent reporting combined with the instasntaneous, overt hostility of various Europeans towards me because I am an American contributed to my neosisolationist opinions that Europeans are security parasites, not allies. The realization that it was easy to convince European women that I was a liberal Candadian rather than a conservative American was the inspiration for my European insemination tour.
Post by Joat42   » Sat May 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Joat42
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I was traveling through Israel back in 1984. I was somewhat dependant on the BBC for news because I am almost entirely monolingual. I was greatly amused and disgusted to hear the BBC reporter describe in vivid detail how "American SR-71 bombers" were making straffing runs on Managua Nicaraugua. They were even describing mushroom clouds from nuclear weapons! This fraudulent reporting combined with the instasntaneous, overt hostility of various Europeans towards me because I am an American contributed to my neosisolationist opinions that Europeans are security parasites, not allies. The realization that it was easy to convince European women that I was a liberal Candadian rather than a conservative American was the inspiration for my European insemination tour.

Funny how most Americans who travel abroad that aren't conceited assholes are treated no differently than other tourists.

Regarding that BBC-broadcast you heard, it did report on American SR-71 planes breaking the sound-barrier over Managua several times, causing damages to buildings. You do know that the BBC has an archive containing most of their broadcasts, so your assertion can be easily checked by someone who happens to live in the UK by using one of BBC's reading rooms which is free to use.

Finally, it's kind of telling that you confess that you had to lie and pretend to be something you wheren't in an effort to get laid. Reflect on what kind of person who do things like that.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat May 09, 2020 8:30 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Joat42 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:I was traveling through Israel back in 1984. I was somewhat dependant on the BBC for news because I am almost entirely monolingual. I was greatly amused and disgusted to hear the BBC reporter describe in vivid detail how "American SR-71 bombers" were making straffing runs on Managua Nicaraugua. They were even describing mushroom clouds from nuclear weapons! This fraudulent reporting combined with the instasntaneous, overt hostility of various Europeans towards me because I am an American contributed to my neosisolationist opinions that Europeans are security parasites, not allies. The realization that it was easy to convince European women that I was a liberal Candadian rather than a conservative American was the inspiration for my European insemination tour.

Funny how most Americans who travel abroad that aren't conceited assholes are treated no differently than other tourists.

Regarding that BBC-broadcast you heard, it did report on American SR-71 planes breaking the sound-barrier over Managua several times, causing damages to buildings. You do know that the BBC has an archive containing most of their broadcasts, so your assertion can be easily checked by someone who happens to live in the UK by using one of BBC's reading rooms which is free to use.

Finally, it's kind of telling that you confess that you had to lie and pretend to be something you wheren't in an effort to get laid. Reflect on what kind of person who do things like that.

SR-71s fly at about 80,000 feet, so the shockwave at the ground is not going to be damaging. Maybe it was F-4 Phantoms? Maybe it was Sandinista paranoid imagination or propaganda?

As for European hostility, it was instantaneous. I had said no more than stated my name and where I was from when the conversation became fixated on how much they hated Americans, hated Country music, and hated Ronald Reagan. One of the Swedish females who eventually became somewhat less hostile retreated to her room to take off her panties then returned to sit across from me with feet up on her chair to give me a beaver shot. It was definately not an invitation although quite entertaining. The only other American guest was extremely diligent in presenting himself as a liberal. His reception was not much better than mine.

The bottom line is that most Europeans are assholes who resent America because they know that they are security parasites. NATO might have been needed back in the day when the USSR was intact and controlled the Warsaw Pact. NATO no longer serves a useful purpose now that the Warsaw Pact has been disbanded and the Soviet Union is no more. In fact NATO is a threat to peace because the security provided by the US encourages aggression such as the intervention to support Islamic Jihad against the Serbs, the Libyan insurgency and the coup in Ukraine. Right now, Greece and Turkey are close to war. NATO is a needless liability that subjects the US to the risk of being drawn into wars that might go nuclear.
Post by Daryl   » Sun May 10, 2020 6:20 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The whole Yankee go home thing is unfortunate.
People by and large world wide are similar in their values and aspirations, however cultures can influence behaviour.
The "Ugly American" does exist. Loud, uncouth, brash, boastful, dismissive of other cultures, bullying and jingoistic. Hey I just described the current President? The fact that a percentage of US citizens can't see why people from elsewhere despise Trump, indicates that this behaviour is deemed to be acceptable by a percentage of their population.
I've traveled quite a lot, and met many quite likeable and decent Americans, but a few Trump clones stand out. In a crowd at a tourist site you see all the other people putting space between themselves, and the fat couple in the Hawaiian shirts. Unfortunately by definition these are the obvious ones, so overshadow the many decent and polite US citizens.
Post by WeberFan   » Sun May 10, 2020 6:36 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Daryl wrote:The whole Yankee go home thing is unfortunate.
People by and large world wide are similar in their values and aspirations, however cultures can influence behaviour.
The "Ugly American" does exist. Loud, uncouth, brash, boastful, dismissive of other cultures, bullying and jingoistic. Hey I just described the current President? The fact that a percentage of US citizens can't see why people from elsewhere despise Trump, indicates that this behaviour is deemed to be acceptable by a percentage of their population.
I've traveled quite a lot, and met many quite likeable and decent Americans, but a few Trump clones stand out. In a crowd at a tourist site you see all the other people putting space between themselves, and the fat couple in the Hawaiian shirts. Unfortunately by definition these are the obvious ones, so overshadow the many decent and polite US citizens.

I've got perhaps 300-400 visa stamps in my (multiple) passports. Been all around the world on business. South America, Asia, Europe, North America, Middle East. All over the place. I'm a citizen of the US. My observation is that there are "ugly XXX" from just about everywhere. I've seen ugly Americans to be sure. I've also seen ugly Brits, ugly Germans, ugly Indians, ugly Koreans, ugly Venezuelans, you name it. No matter where my many travels took me, I saw boorish behavior. Why people can't just be respectful of other people I'll never know. They go somewhere and somehow feel entitled to say and do whatever they want. Every region... Every country... Every culture is different...
Post by n7axw   » Sun May 10, 2020 11:13 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the link. That was interesting.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun May 10, 2020 3:20 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Russia is number 1!
Russia is number 1!!!

Russia has the most new cases today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Return to Politics