Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Australia Wildfires

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Australia Wildfires
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:51 am

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:I checked out your link fly.
Good for a laugh, full of portentously announced "facts", that are easily disproved, and with such an obvious agenda, that I'm surprised any adult could give it any credence.

Show me the alleged truth.
Post by Daryl   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:41 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Why? Surely you can Google yourself. If I was to select the first dozen statements on that page, then research the actual truth, link it all up then post it, you would not read it with an open mind.
And I would have wasted hours of work for no result.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
Daryl wrote:I checked out your link fly.
Good for a laugh, full of portentously announced "facts", that are easily disproved, and with such an obvious agenda, that I'm surprised any adult could give it any credence.

Post by Annachie   » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:50 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The daughter that had a couple of evacuation warnings from bush fires late last year is now surrounded by flood water.

'Straya!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by n7axw   » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

It seems strange to deny climate change while the polar caps are melting and islands are disappearing beneath the sea.

The human element behind it is more controversial, but really can't be successfully denied. What to do about it, however, is a real posser and more controversial yet.

If anyone is interested, I read a book recently that covers this subject, "Climate Change and the Course of Human History" by John Brooke. Just a warning though... this sucker is heavy with lots of scientific vocabulary to wade through and is over 800 pages in length.

Just a comment... The fifteen hundred years mentioned in an earlier post is but the blink of an eye. The book traces climate way back to the formation of the planet.

Just another thought... Right now we are in a sunspot minimum with a weak solar maximum coming in a few years. There are predictions of another maunder minimum coming up. The last time that happened was the late middle ages and was accompanied by the Little Ice Age.

What this means is relevant to the discussion is that the sun is cooling. Fewer sunspots is an indicator of that. The earth, however, continues to warm which at least tentatively leads to the conclusion that the CO2 in the air is continuing to trap the heat warming the earth as the sun cools.

I wouldn't mind more info on this, but it is what I've been able to come up with at the moment.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:58 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:Why? Surely you can Google yourself. If I was to select the first dozen statements on that page, then research the actual truth, link it all up then post it, you would not read it with an open mind.
And I would have wasted hours of work for no result.

[/quote]

You mean this information?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 9uWAFJLPUl
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:02 pm

TFLYTSNBN

n7axw wrote:It seems strange to deny climate change while the polar caps are melting and islands are disappearing beneath the sea.

The human element behind it is more controversial, but really can't be successfully denied. What to do about it, however, is a real posser and more controversial yet.

If anyone is interested, I read a book recently that covers this subject, "Climate Change and the Course of Human History" by John Brooke. Just a warning though... this sucker is heavy with lots of scientific vocabulary to wade through and is over 800 pages in length.

Just a comment... The fifteen hundred years mentioned in an earlier post is but the blink of an eye. The book traces climate way back to the formation of the planet.

Just another thought... Right now we are in a sunspot minimum with a weak solar maximum coming in a few years. There are predictions of another maunder minimum coming up. The last time that happened was the late middle ages and was accompanied by the Little Ice Age.

What this means is relevant to the discussion is that the sun is cooling. Fewer sunspots is an indicator of that. The earth, however, continues to warm which at least tentatively leads to the conclusion that the CO2 in the air is continuing to trap the heat warming the earth as the sun cools.

I wouldn't mind more info on this, but it is what I've been able to come up with at the moment.

Don

-

The decrease in solar sunspot activity is a recent phenomenon that can not be responsible for the failure of climate to warm as predicted.

CO2 isn't the predominant greenhouse gas. H2O is the primary greenhouse gas. Look up the IR absorbion spectrum.
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:49 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
The decrease in solar sunspot activity is a recent phenomenon that can not be responsible for the failure of climate to warm as predicted.

There is no "failure of the climate to warm as predicted. It is warming extraordinarily fast.

CO2 isn't the predominant greenhouse gas. H2O is the primary greenhouse gas. Look up the IR absorbion spectrum.

It doesn't have to be "predominant" to have significant problematic effects.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
n7axw wrote:It seems strange to deny climate change while the polar caps are melting and islands are disappearing beneath the sea.

Don

-

The sunspot cycle goes back probably as long as there has been a sun. The normal cycle is 11 years. The most recent solar cooling happened during the late middle ages producing what we call the maunder minimum accompanied by the Little Ice Age. During the maunder minimum there were no sunspots for roughly 250 years. And there were periods of cooling prior to that one.

Right now we are sitting at the bottom of the sunspot cycle. I read the other day that a new sunspot has been spotted with reversed polarity which indicates the beginning of a new cycle. Over the last 40 years, the cycles have been getting weaker with fewer sunspots with each cycle. As a sidenote, This is of interest to me because more sunspots makes my ham radio work better... As an old duffer, I probably won't live to see a new maunder minimum.

Your other comment is at least partially true. H2O is the dominant gas in the atmosphere. But the culprits creating the global warming are CO2 and methane, dominantly CO2.

I have all sorts of unanswered questions about this. I am certainly no authority on the subject. What I have written is only my impressions of what I have read plus we have a guy in our ham club who has a couple of doctorates in science. Keeping up with him is even worse than reading Brooke. :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Police in Tuggerah, NSW, have asked people to please stop driving their jetski's through the McDonalds drive through.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by n7axw   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Police in Tuggerah, NSW, have asked people to please stop driving their jetski's through the McDonalds drive through.

I take it that the waiters in McDonald's are sloshing around in at least a foot of water getting out their orders...

Don

-

Return to Politics