Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Australia Wildfires

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Australia Wildfires
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:27 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

One of my favorites is how wind generators kill birds.

They do, of course, but at about a tenth the rate that coal fired ones do. (Birds killed/MWHr generated)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:33 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Another one is, "But how will they dispose of the solar panels at the end of their lives?"
My panels at 12 years are still producing as new, and have a 25 year guarantee. If they then fail they are comprised of an aluminium frame and a sheet of glass (melted sand). Meanwhile how much fly ash has been removed from the coal power station, plus the rubbish from their regular refurbishments?

Annachie wrote:One of my favorites is how wind generators kill birds.

They do, of course, but at about a tenth the rate that coal fired ones do. (Birds killed/MWHr generated)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:08 am

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:Another one is, "But how will they dispose of the solar panels at the end of their lives?"
My panels at 12 years are still producing as new, and have a 25 year guarantee. If they then fail they are comprised of an aluminium frame and a sheet of glass (melted sand). Meanwhile how much fly ash has been removed from the coal power station, plus the rubbish from their regular refurbishments?

Annachie wrote:One of my favorites is how wind generators kill birds.

There is far more to your solar panels than an aluminum frame and a sheet of glass.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/23/ ... l-problem/

It is not an insurmountable problem, but it should not be ignored.

I would love to see hard numbers on bird kills from coal and nuclear.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:14 am

TFLYTSNBN

The problem isn't CO2. The problem is Australians.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/nearly-20 ... 95827.html

Any chance that these arsonists are motivated by a desire to draw attention to the alleged climate crisis?
Post by Annachie   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:07 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The problem isn't CO2. The problem is Australians.

Any chance that these arsonists are motivated by a desire to draw attention to the alleged climate crisis?

The problem isn't how they start, which hasn't changed much over the years.
The problem is how they take off and can't be put out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:48 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

To add to Anna's comment. We have our share of idiots. Been a fairly constant number of deliberate arsonists, idiots who think the can control a small fire, dry lightening strikes, electricity cables, power tools etc.
The change though is that once upon a time a plume of smoke would go up, a team would go out and extinguish it. Nowadays a plume goes up, a team is sent out to find a hundred hectares of dry forest erupting and growing rapidly.
Why would arsonists be doing it to draw attention to climate change?
Post by Joat42   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:20 am

Joat42
Admiral

Specifically, 24 people have been arrested for intentionally lighting fires. You know, the traditional firebugs that always show up in situations like this. The rest is just idiots that aren't smart enough to engage their brains while they throw burning cigarette butts on the ground or starting up their wood-fired barbecue-grill. I doubt any of these people thought about CO2 or climate change, stupid people seldom do.

If the current weather in Australia hadn't been so out of wack this wouldn't be a problem, and it's seriously out of wack when you even have forest fires in the tropical zones.

I have a question: Are you familiar with pyrocumulus clouds and how they spread wild-fires?

Also, if the current climate in Australia leads to extreme wild-fires it is a climate crisis plus that the problem isn't Australians - it's the idiots who can't change their ways.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Joat42 wrote:

Specifically, 24 people have been arrested for intentionally lighting fires. You know, the traditional firebugs that always show up in situations like this. The rest is just idiots that aren't smart enough to engage their brains while they throw burning cigarette butts on the ground or starting up their wood-fired barbecue-grill. I doubt any of these people thought about CO2 or climate change, stupid people seldom do.

If the current weather in Australia hadn't been so out of wack this wouldn't be a problem, and it's seriously out of wack when you even have forest fires in the tropical zones.

I have a question: Are you familiar with pyrocumulus clouds and how they spread wild-fires?

Also, if the current climate in Australia leads to extreme wild-fires it is a climate crisis plus that the problem isn't Australians - it's the idiots who can't change their ways.

These fires are occurring in temperate zone forests. It is much like the Pacific Northwest. We have always had forest fires here. They became much worse when Anglo settlers decided that the Indians were stupid to use fire as a land management tool. Excessive suppression of smaller, cooler fires that normally eliminate underbrush have resulted in massive fuel loads. Inhibitions on logging allegedly to protect the Spotted Owl have created stands of vulnerable trees that can support truly catastrophic wilfires. The AGW morons are now advocating a prohibition on logging, thinning and brush management as "Carbon sequestration". They are excommunicating any sentient foresters from OSU who understand that the net Carbon sequestration from a forest is zero.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Joat42 wrote:

TFLYTSNBN wrote:These fires are occurring in temperate zone forests.

You do know that the northern parts of Australia belongs to the tropical zone and some small areas to the equatorial zone, right? And the east coast is a subtropical zone? They are all burning...

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

One of the big fires in NSW is finally under control.
It started in October, and at one stage threatened the town my eldest daughter lives in.

Will still probably burn for a month or two though, until there's a decent rain.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics