Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Techno Ignorance

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Techno Ignorance
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:31 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The E wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Because of the wet climate, Germany is a lousy location for "long term" (1,000 years) waste storage. Outsource it.

Okay, so noone you were calling stupid in the first post of this thread was actually being stupid then, good to know.

The entire premiss of my original post was that I expected the Germans to be more intelligent than Americans on this issue. Since it was an American news outlet, I didn't dismiss the possibility that it was just an ignorant American reporter having a feces fit over something that the Germans had already figured out.

Actually, the leaching rate from vitrified fission products is so low that you could just stack the wastes out in the rain with minimal risk. Ground water is mildly more problematic. If you insist on deep geological disposal, Germany isn't a good place for it.

My suggestion of outsourcing is just an idea to evade the political problems. Ship your radioactive wastes off to some Arab countries that have lots of dry desert, then hope that they don't fabricate it into "dirty bombs" to send back to you.

Of course my favorite suggestion is rather than build a deep underground nuclear waste repository, just fabricate nuclear waste suppositories.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Of course my favorite suggestion is rather than build a deep underground nuclear waste repository, just fabricate nuclear waste suppositories.

well - I'm sure that we would all agree that you should definitely go ahead and be the first test volunteer :lol:
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:13 pm

TFLYTSNBN

isaac_newton wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Of course my favorite suggestion is rather than build a deep underground nuclear waste repository, just fabricate nuclear waste suppositories.

well - I'm sure that we would all agree that you should definitely go ahead and be the first test volunteer :lol:

Glad you understood the joke.

Nope!

They should be inserted in people who believe in Global Warming Theology.

This sarcastic suggestion and my refusal to be the first test volunteer does not invalidate my point. The wastes do emit dangerous levels of radiation now but given a few centuries to decay they will not. While the leaching rate from virtrified wastes is not problematic, the direct radiation is.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:18 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Even the British have figured it out!

https://techxplore.com/news/2020-01-nuc ... power.html
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Even the British have figured it out!

Now that is some pretty cool tech.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by aairfccha   » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:14 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Neat trick, but deals only with their activated graphite and does nothing about the spent fuel.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:26 pm

TFLYTSNBN

aairfccha wrote:

Neat trick, but deals only with their activated graphite and does nothing about the spent fuel.

You could do something similar with most of the fission products.

Return to Politics