Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Trump pardoning war criminals...

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump pardoning war criminals...
Post by gcomeau   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:44 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
The E wrote:Yes, I do too, but that is no longer the reality we're in. I grew up in an environment where there were only a small number of authoritative sources of news that everyone either read, watched or listened to and that formed a basic picture of reality that everyone was at least aware of. That part of the world is seemingly gone irrevocably; now you have people like TFLY and smr only take in news that they know will never upset them or their worldview (Our resident FLY quoting often from a site proudly calling itself "The conservative Treehouse" while, at the same time, sneeringly contemptuous of the idea of a "safe space").

I am open to the idea that there can be civil discussion on these matters. But, at least in US politics, it is always expected that it is the liberals who will make the first step, to approach the other side with an open hand and a willingness to compromise, and that's not a dance that can be danced that often. Personally, I say enough is enough. When conservatives call the other side "demoncrats" without a hint of irony, when they call people's rights to their own identity into question, when they openly ignore civil rights issues and descend into open defiance of the constitution they pretend to hold up as the highest truth, it is past time for them to step back and ackknowledge that we're all in this boat together and that you can only lean to one side so far before you fall overboard.

What you refuse to recognize is that your few "authoritative" news sources have become so profoundly biased that anyone capable of thinking for themselves has to reject them.

The irony of this statement coming from someone who regularly posts far right wing conspiracy theory websites as authoritative journalistic sources is mindblowing.

In other news, Joe Walsh (former Tea Party Republican) recently manager to poke his head out of the bubble people like TFLY are still happily living in, and the experience of being exposed to reality appears to have traumatized him.

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status ... 4794564613

Joe Walsh wrote:.
@realDonaldTrump
came into Iowa Thursday for one of his lie-filled rallies. Prior to the event, I campaigned for votes among all the people in line waiting to go in to hear the President. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I’ve ever had. It made me sad. 1/

Yes, plenty of Trump supporters were angry at me and many got in my face. But that’s not what made me sad. Here’s what made me sad: I asked about 40 folks a very simple question: Has Donald Trump ever lied to the American people? Simple question, right? 2/

Every single person said “No.” No, Trump has never lied. Every single person gave me that answer. But that wasn’t all. A few people told me that Trump, unlike Obama, has never golfed. Nobody in line knew that Trump was increasing the debt way faster than Obama. 3/

Nobody knew that under Trump our deficit was now greater than $1 trillion.
Nobody I asked could think of one single thing that Trump has done that has disappointed them. Nobody thought Trump did anything wrong with Ukraine. 4/

Almost everyone thought that China was paying for Trump’s tariffs. Nobody cared that Russia screwed with our 2016 election. On and on it went. I left sad & frustrated because all of these folks in line were being fed a sea of lies by Trump, Fox News, and 5/

the rest of Trump’s media sycophants. They weren’t being told the truth. And here in line in Des Moines waiting to go in & hear more lies from this President, they didn’t believe basic truths. This is a scary thing for our Republic. Trump’s legacy is the destruction of truth. 6/
Post by n7axw   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:36 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

It is kinda shocking to see rational thoughts flowing from Joe Walsh!! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:55 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I for one, haven't labeled anyone a Nazi. In fact I don't think I have used a pejorative label to describe anyone. That being said, I do think that the news sources you are willing to trust insulate you from anything you don't want to hear. I guess that makes me sort of the mirror image of anything you would approve.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Daryl   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:28 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Fly, I have never called you a NAZI , nor can I recollect anyone else on here doing so.
I would like to challenge your term "Global warming theology" though, as our own conservatives have been using similar terminology.
I have always been of the opinion that "belief, theology, religion and similar terms" are what people just know, without any proof, facts or reliable information. All the religions fall into this category. I admit that I wish I could just believe, and know that I'd meet my mum again, while expecting an eternity of bliss. Alas, my mind doesn't work that way.
Whereas, being science trained and cynical by nature I am skeptical, and insist on proof before committing to any position.
Other scientists are similar. Why do we talk about the Theories of Relativity and Evolution, when Hiroshima proved Relativity, and so many industries depend on Evolution to make money.
Thus I get annoyed when deniers talk about the Climate Change Cult or Religion. There is a mountain of data and research supporting the position that industrialised mankind has influenced climate, and only a vague belief somehow supporting the few on the other side.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Fly, I have never called you a NAZI , nor can I recollect anyone else on here doing so.
I would like to challenge your term "Global warming theology" though, as our own conservatives have been using similar terminology.
I have always been of the opinion that "belief, theology, religion and similar terms" are what people just know, without any proof, facts or reliable information. All the religions fall into this category. I admit that I wish I could just believe, and know that I'd meet my mum again, while expecting an eternity of bliss. Alas, my mind doesn't work that way.
Whereas, being science trained and cynical by nature I am skeptical, and insist on proof before committing to any position.
Other scientists are similar. Why do we talk about the Theories of Relativity and Evolution, when Hiroshima proved Relativity, and so many industries depend on Evolution to make money.
Thus I get annoyed when deniers talk about the Climate Change Cult or Religion. There is a mountain of data and research supporting the position that industrialised mankind has influenced climate, and only a vague belief somehow supporting the few on the other side.

It would be interesting sometime to have a conversation with you about the role of faith in people's lives. But it would need to be private. Public discussions almost never turn out well, primarily due to the sensitivity of the subject. I know I'm not interested in a fight.

Don

-
Post by The E   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 am

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:This is evident in your comments on this forum where you arrogantly justify your hatred by branding conservatives as Nazis.

:shrug:

The current GOP is blatantly complicit in what looks like a fascist takeover of the government. It refuses to exert the oversight role it nominally has in the Senate, it openly tolerates behaviour by Trump that is openly, blatantly illegal, it is complicit in creating an environment of disinformation and lies at every level of government communications, all in the service of elevating Trump from being a duly elected President to a King with no bounds on his authority... the list goes on.
I get why you tolerate this: After all, they're telling lies, yes, but they're such comfortable lies. Climate Change isn't real, it's not your fault, everything will be ~fine~. Crime isn't really a society problem, it's all just blacks and immigrants that are the issue here, really, no need for you to question why this all ended up this way. Healthcare, Worker's rights, those are all completely overrated; If you could make it in the greatest country of all some decades ago, you don't really see what the problem today is, since things haven't changed that much, right?

Believe me, I do get why you're being comfortable up there in your conservative treehouse, where non-white, non-binary, non-male people are just not all that present. It's nice to be told that the world is fine, there are no ~real~ problems anymore and all that screeching you can barely make out from beyond the walled garden the treehouse is in is terribly annoying in comparison.

Return to Politics