Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Judges, Judges, Judges

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Judges, Judges, Judges
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:27 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Top
Re: Judges, Judges, Judges
Post by The E   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:44 am

The E
Admiral

Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

I wonder why you think this case illustrates a more pernicious problem than, say, the multitude of cases involving young white male rapists getting off lightly because they came from "good" families.
Top
Re: Judges, Judges, Judges
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:12 am

TFLYTSNBN
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

The E wrote:I wonder why you think this case illustrates a more pernicious problem than, say, the multitude of cases involving young white male rapists getting off lightly because they came from "good" families.


While I will not deny that this ever happens, you want to cite some creditable statistics on that or at least some verifiable incidents?

You really should not have brought up the racial angle because a vastly disproportionate number of arrested rapists are black.

You also might want to consider the issue of clearance rates for rape. My State had to pass a law mandating that police submit collected evidence to the State crime lab for DNA fingerprinting rather than just let it rot in their evidence rooms. About fifty percent of the cold cases where the evidence is finally tested results in a perpetrator being identified and arrested.
Top
Re: Judges, Judges, Judges
Post by The E   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 am

The E
Admiral

Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

TFLYTSNBN wrote:While I will not deny that this ever happens, you want to cite some creditable statistics on that or at least some verifiable incidents?


People v. Turner. A young white male rich person gets convicted of sexual penetration of an unconscious woman, sexual penetration of an intoxicated woman and assault with intent to commit rape.

His sentence is 6 months imprisonment, 3 years of probation; Turner ended up serving 3 months of the prison sentence before being released; The Judge in question choosing this sentence over the DA's recommended 6 years' imprisonment because Turner apparently had a swimming career.

3 months of jail time. For raping a woman. One would hesitate to think what a black person would have gotten under the same circumstances, but it sure as hell wouldn't have been 3 months.

Here we have a case of someone who plead guilty to grooming a teenage girl into having sex with him, being sentenced to probation only; The article linked to above lists a number of cases in which sex offenders tend to get off lightly.

You really should not have brought up the racial angle because a vastly disproportionate number of arrested rapists are black.


Oh, but I really should. Because as it turns out, it's a longstanding issue in the american justice system that your racial or class background will have a strong and noticeable influence on how the justice system treats you.

Here's a study for you to be unaware of:
[The study's] primary conclusion is that after including more
exhaustive controls than any previous study, large differences in the length of sentence exist on the basis of race, gender, education, income, and citizenship.
These disparities occur in spite of explicit statements in the guidelines that these characteristics should not affect the sentence length.

[...]

[T]hese racial, gender, income, and education disparities occur along many other margins. Blacks and males not only receive longer sentences but also are less likely to receive no prison term when that option is available, more likely to receive upward departures, and less likely to receive downward departures. When downward departures are given, blacks and males receive smaller adjustments than whites and females. Furthermore, low-income offenders are less likely to receive downward departures and more likely to receive upward departures. When downward departures are given, the poorest offenders receive especially small reductions in their sentences. Similarly, highly educated offenders are more likely to receive downward departures, less likely to receive
upward departures, and receive relatively large downward departures.
Top
Re: Judges, Judges, Judges
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:51 am

Dilandu
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

TFLYTSNBN wrote:You really should not have brought up the racial angle because a vastly disproportionate number of arrested rapists are black.



The E was talking not about percentage of white rapists, but about the tendency to punish white sexual offenders less severe if they are from "good families".
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Judges, Judges, Judges
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:40 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Dilandu wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:You really should not have brought up the racial angle because a vastly disproportionate number of arrested rapists are black.



The E was talking not about percentage of white rapists, but about the tendency to punish white sexual offenders less severe if they are from "good families".



That aspect of prosecution for rape absolutely IS a problem in America.

I have absolutely no doubt that if my marijunna bootlegging tenant who shot at my son had been black rather than white, the imbecile judge and ignorant jury would not have been influenced by the Elmer Fudd defense. Just FYI, I have had other tenants who were black and they were model tenants. There was an extended period of time when once a month they would pretend to write me a check for the rent and once a month I would pretend to cash it. This enabled them to get back on their financial feet after having to deal with the expenses of a child with cancer.

Just FYI, I have a realtor who is half Japanese and half African-American. She very much resembles the actress Pam Grier.
Last edited by TFLYTSNBN on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
Re: Judges, Judges, Judges
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:47 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

The E wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:While I will not deny that this ever happens, you want to cite some creditable statistics on that or at least some verifiable incidents?


People v. Turner. A young white male rich person gets convicted of sexual penetration of an unconscious woman, sexual penetration of an intoxicated woman and assault with intent to commit rape.

His sentence is 6 months imprisonment, 3 years of probation; Turner ended up serving 3 months of the prison sentence before being released; The Judge in question choosing this sentence over the DA's recommended 6 years' imprisonment because Turner apparently had a swimming career.

3 months of jail time. For raping a woman. One would hesitate to think what a black person would have gotten under the same circumstances, but it sure as hell wouldn't have been 3 months.

Here we have a case of someone who plead guilty to grooming a teenage girl into having sex with him, being sentenced to probation only; The article linked to above lists a number of cases in which sex offenders tend to get off lightly.

You really should not have brought up the racial angle because a vastly disproportionate number of arrested rapists are black.


Oh, but I really should. Because as it turns out, it's a longstanding issue in the american justice system that your racial or class background will have a strong and noticeable influence on how the justice system treats you.

Here's a study for you to be unaware of:
[The study's] primary conclusion is that after including more
exhaustive controls than any previous study, large differences in the length of sentence exist on the basis of race, gender, education, income, and citizenship.
These disparities occur in spite of explicit statements in the guidelines that these characteristics should not affect the sentence length.

[...]

[T]hese racial, gender, income, and education disparities occur along many other margins. Blacks and males not only receive longer sentences but also are less likely to receive no prison term when that option is available, more likely to receive upward departures, and less likely to receive downward departures. When downward departures are given, blacks and males receive smaller adjustments than whites and females. Furthermore, low-income offenders are less likely to receive downward departures and more likely to receive upward departures. When downward departures are given, the poorest offenders receive especially small reductions in their sentences. Similarly, highly educated offenders are more likely to receive downward departures, less likely to receive
upward departures, and receive relatively large downward departures.


Did you not notice that Albert Flick is lilly white?
Is it possible that the judge would not have been so lenient if he had been black? Oh Hell Yes!
Top

Return to Politics