Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Please tell me this is a fake news...

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Please tell me this is a fake news...
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Please tell me this is not true:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/07/ ... ton-mural/

The San Francisco Board of Education unanimously voted last month in favor of painting over a George Washington mural series on a school wall depicting Washington standing over a Native American’s corpse and another in the company of slaves on his Mount Vernon estate.

“This is reparations,” Education Board Commissioner Mark Sanchez said in a KQED report when asked about the estimated $600,000 price tag for its removal. It could reportedly take a year to complete.

The 1,600-square-foot mural series titled “Life of Washington” was painted on San Francisco’s George Washington High School in 1936 by a Russian-American artist and Stanford University art professor Victor Arnautoff.

Because if it is true, and the work of great Arnautoff may be destroyed to "not depress" some students, then what's next? Book burning?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Re: Please tell me this is a fake news...
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

It's expected.
American students stereotypically dislike studying history to the point that several American teachers have reported that their students are surprised that America won the War of Independence.

Having one of America's Greatest Heroes not being a Paragon Of Respectability is highly uncomfortable for many educators (and those that they have educated), so re-writing/blurring history is, for them, the only rational choice.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 pm

TFLYTSNBN

It is true.

America's liberals are insane.

Hell, I can't even watch BLAZING SADDLES on television without getting an edited version that obscures the humor that was employed to expose the rampant racism of the era. The only joke that addresses the racism that survives even somewhat intact disparages the drunken Irish.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:It's expected.
American students stereotypically dislike studying history to the point that several American teachers have reported that their students are surprised that America won the War of Independence.

Having one of America's Greatest Heroes not being a Paragon Of Respectability is highly uncomfortable for many educators (and those that they have educated), so re-writing/blurring history is, for them, the only rational choice.

The liberal objection is the exact opposite of being uncomfortable teaching the Founders flaws.

They want them taught. They don't want them *celebrated*.

Yes, teach Washington owned slaves and had a problematic record with dealing with Native Americans.

No, do not put up monuments glorifying that behavior.

(Same principle goes for Confederate White Supremacist traitors)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:33 pm

TFLYTSNBN

gcomeau wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:It's expected.

The liberal objection is the exact opposite of being uncomfortable teaching the Founders flaws.

Yes, teach Washington owned slaves and had a problematic record with dealing with Native Americans.

Washington's politically incorrect behsviors not withstanding, he was a founding father and is worthy of monuments. All of thr butt hurt little bitches who are protesting should sit down and shut up.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
gcomeau wrote:

Washington's politically incorrect behsviors not withstanding, he was a founding father and is worthy of monuments. All of thr butt hurt little bitches who are protesting should sit down and shut up.

Nobody said no monuments to Washington.

I said no monuments glorifying things like Washington's slave ownership.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Or his growing marijuana?
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 am

Dilandu
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:

In other words, you say it is right to destroy works of great artist just because they depicted the uncomfortable truth?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by The E   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 am

The E
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:In other words, you say it is right to destroy works of great artist just because they depicted the uncomfortable truth?

The intent behind those murals was good. The message is still valid.

But.

That doesn't mean that they must be sacrosanct. If the community that actually has to live with them (as opposed to the many voices in the article you quoted who don't) decides that those messages and how they're framed aren't what they want around them, that is as valid an expression as the original artistic one was.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:46 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
gcomeau wrote:

In other words, you say it is right to destroy works of great artist just because they depicted the uncomfortable truth?

That is the exact freaking opposite of what I said.

Return to Politics