Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Time to read THE LAST CENTURION?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:40 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:One positive thing to come out of this is that we have tested the ultimate defence against a true engineered bio weapon.
With covid-19 at say 1% fatality compared to flu at 0.1%, we have proved that isolation and social distancing do work somewhat.
If the real thing at 50% fatalities plus gets released, the same safety mechanisms will ensure that at least some humans survive.

It will be interesting to compare New Zealand's outcomes with the US. Yes I know that all of NZ doesn't make up one sizable US city, and that they do have no land borders. However both are English speaking democracies, first world countries, with free presses, feisty populations, and modern health systems. However at the time Trump was talking about only having 15 cases and being clear by Easter, Ardern was shutting borders and locking down her country. Whole of country comparisons are meaningless, but per 100,000 citizen rates will be interesting, and informative for the future.

New Zealand benefits from the extreme advantage of being in the Southern hemisphere. The epidemic became undeniable during the warmest months.of their summer, making transmission probability extremely low. This has given New Zealanders valuable time.

America certainly has made mistakes. The virus is rampant on the US aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt. The Captain is going public. Few people are asking why the stupid idiot made a port call in Vietnam weeks after Trump imposed the travel ban on China. I know that other USN ships were putting to sea from US ports to isolate their crews. Why didn't this Captain here the orders?
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
I am intentionally rude and insulting to foreigners who feel entitled to come on the website of an American author to insult America and Americans about many issues that they know nearly nothing about.

Currently you only succeeded in persuading everyone that you knew less about American issues than foreigners. If your tactic constantly failed, isn't it advisable to change it, instead of, you know, repeat it again and again to the same dismal results?...
The fact that you feel so entitled to offer your opinions is astonishing.

Well, after America spend three decades offering its opinion to everyone, it's hard not to took the opportunity to repay the same way.

You certainly would not welcome me on your countries websites to pontificate about your problems

Mostly because you do not know enough to say anything not-laughable about it.

The demonization of President Trump's handling of the Coronavirus is profoundly gratuitous given the reality that the infection rate and death rate in America are so much lower than most European countries. You Eurotrash need to look in the mirror and acknowledge your own flaws and mistakes.

I'm not demonizing Trump's handling. I'm dissatisfied with how he blundered the initial response, but the problem itself is not his fault. The problem is in your medicare system, which, to put it simply, designed to pump money out of American's pockets, and not to actually protect them. This is definitely not Trump fault; more likely, it's Obama fault that he was not firm enough to force universal medicare system & stomp all the "free market idolizers" who opposed it. Instead he tried to compromise... and nothing good could came out of compromise-based revolution.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by clancy688   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:03 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The demonization of President Trump's handling of the Coronavirus is profoundly gratuitous given the reality that the infection rate and death rate in America are so much lower than most European countries. You Eurotrash need to look in the mirror and acknowledge your own flaws and mistakes.

In a couple of weeks, this statement will have aged very badly...

https://covidgraph.com/#curve

You just have to take a look at the charts (with you I'm adressing not TFLY but everyone else, that dude is a lost cause anyway) to see that the US is headed for a world of hurt.

The US's growth rate in new infections is higher than any other country at any point during their respective outbreaks. And while almost every other country's gradient (number of infections) is essentially stable, the US's is still accelerating.

Big version (or just use the link above)
https://abload.de/img/boingjmjso.png
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

clancy688 wrote: I'm adressing not TFLY but everyone else, that dude is a lost cause anyway) to see that the US is headed for a world of hurt.

He is very-very scared. Not only by the virus, but by his worldview crashing all around him. Its like 1991 in old USSR; what was assumed to be permanent, suddenly start to change, the ideas that were declared "ultimate truth" by generations proven to be flawed.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Arol   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:07 pm

Arol
Captain of the List

TFLYTSNBN wrote:"Bigot" and "bigotry" have multiple connotations. My primary use is in reference to a refusal to acknowledge facts or consider opinions that conflict with your own. Most of the Eurotrash (a group that includes Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders) and liberal Americans who post on this forum suffer from this intellectual disability. Your confirmation bias is profound.

The Merriam-Webster definition of a bigot is:
: obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices
Your repeated use of the odious slang word “Eurotrash” certainly fits well within the parameters of this definition.
It’s reminiscent of a child who’s learned at truly disgusting word, and revels in using it to provoke. Sort of like a troll!

As for:

I am intentionally rude and insulting to foreigners who feel entitled to come on the website of an American author to insult America and Americans about many issues that they know nearly nothing about. The fact that you feel so entitled to offer your opinions is astonishing. You certainly would not welcome me on your countries websites to pontificate about your problems

I came to this website years ago, simply because I liked David Weber’s writing, and his description of the various societies described therein. I certainly won’t stop contributing to this forum, simply because a self-appointed censor feels the need to speak for all Americans.
If David; as it’s his forum or the moderator he has appointed would ask me to cease and desist, I would of course do so.
You, no way, no how!
You can peruse my posts and won’t find an insult either to Americans or America. To do so would be an insult to my extended family living there.
You are the exception, being a bigot!
Post by Joat42   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:37 pm

Joat42
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I am intentionally rude and insulting to foreigners who feel entitled to come on the website of an American author to insult America and Americans about many issues that they know nearly nothing about. The fact that you feel so entitled to offer your opinions is astonishing.

It should be noted that you have been booted once from this site because how you conduct yourself, so I'm not surprised in the least that you are rude and insulting because it seems to be your normal way when interacting with anyone who don't agree with you. It speaks volumes of what kind of person you are.

But I have to ask, do you own this site? Do you have any control who can come here and voice their opinions? No? I find it astonishing and extremely baffling that you think that YOU are the arbiter of whose opinion should be voiced on a site YOU are a guest on. That's hilarious in a pathetic way, especially considering your history here.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:You certainly would not welcome me on your countries websites to pontificate about your problems.

You are welcome to visit any site you wish, but considering that you are rude and insulting I doubt you would relish the drumming you would get.

The demonization of President Trump's handling of the Coronavirus is profoundly gratuitous given the reality that the infection rate and death rate in America are so much lower than most European countries. You Eurotrash need to look in the mirror and acknowledge your own flaws and mistakes.

You are free to point out which leaders have fucked up, just as we are free to also point it out - it's just that Trump is such an easy target since he can't stop himself from grandstanding every chance he gets while getting his facts wrong, plus we have his inability to listen to advice given by experts.

Although Boris Johnson comes to mind, but he isn't in Trump's league by far in saying stupid things.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:23 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
"Bigot" and "bigotry" have multiple connotations. My primary use is in reference to a refusal to acknowledge facts or consider opinions that conflict with your own. Most of the Eurotrash (a group that includes Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders) and liberal Americans who post on this forum suffer from this intellectual disability. Your confirmation bias is profound.

I am intentionally rude and insulting to foreigners who feel entitled to come on the website of an American author to insult America and Americans about many issues that they know nearly nothing about. The fact that you feel so entitled to offer your opinions is astonishing. You certainly would not welcome me on your countries websites to pontificate about your problems

"Your countries websites"?

Do you actually think David being an American makes this "America's wbsite" you clueless wonder? This website isn't American territory genius.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Hell Daryl, just compare NSW and Victoria.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:37 pm

TFLYTSNBN

clancy688 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:The demonization of President Trump's handling of the Coronavirus is profoundly gratuitous given the reality that the infection rate and death rate in America are so much lower than most European countries. You Eurotrash need to look in the mirror and acknowledge your own flaws and mistakes.

In a couple of weeks, this statement will have aged very badly...

https://covidgraph.com/#curve

You just have to take a look at the charts (with you I'm adressing not TFLY but everyone else, that dude is a lost cause anyway) to see that the US is headed for a world of hurt.

The US's growth rate in new infections is higher than any other country at any point during their respective outbreaks. And while almost every other country's gradient (number of infections) is essentially stable, the US's is still accelerating.

Big version (or just use the link above)
https://abload.de/img/boingjmjso.png

You need to be comparing infection rates, not total infections. The US population is much greater than the other countries.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:41 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Joat42 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:I am intentionally rude and insulting to foreigners who feel entitled to come on the website of an American author to insult America and Americans about many issues that they know nearly nothing about. The fact that you feel so entitled to offer your opinions is astonishing.

It should be noted that you have been booted once from this site because how you conduct yourself, so I'm not surprised in the least that you are rude and insulting because it seems to be your normal way when interacting with anyone who don't agree with you. It speaks volumes of what kind of person you are.

But I have to ask, do you own this site? Do you have any control who can come here and voice their opinions? No? I find it astonishing and extremely baffling that you think that YOU are the arbiter of whose opinion should be voiced on a site YOU are a guest on. That's hilarious in a pathetic way, especially considering your history here.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:You certainly would not welcome me on your countries websites to pontificate about your problems.

You are welcome to visit any site you wish, but considering that you are rude and insulting I doubt you would relish the drumming you would get.

You are free to point out which leaders have fucked up, just as we are free to also point it out - it's just that Trump is such an easy target since he can't stop himself from grandstanding every chance he gets while getting his facts wrong, plus we have his inability to listen to advice given by experts.

Although Boris Johnson comes to mind, but he isn't in Trump's league by far in saying stupid things.

The US death rate is 15 per million people. The death rate in Sweden is 24 per million people. Obviously, your prime minister is screwing up.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/sweden/

Return to Politics