Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Reversed the change in the sanctions on Cuba.

Firstly because sanctions were so obviously working before President Obama started removing them.

But mostly, it's a seriously mixed message. Not so much to the rulers, but to the people.

Besides, much better to let US corrupt Cuban society freely than trying to fight through the blockers that are sanctions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:24 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:Reversed the change in the sanctions on Cuba.

Firstly because sanctions were so obviously working before President Obama started removing them.

But mostly, it's a seriously mixed message. Not so much to the rulers, but to the people.

Besides, much better to let US corrupt Cuban society freely than trying to fight through the blockers that are sanctions.

Cubans who fled Castro are a huge Republican voting block in the swing state of Florida and they like sanctions. Most Republicans would do the same thing. This would be the influence of his DC type staff. I doubt Trump cares.

I don't think sanctions were working well but now more money is flowing into the island to prop up the corrupt regime which seems even worse. I am not sure there is a good solution. Perhaps when the old guys die and are replaced by the younger generation.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:03 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

biochem wrote:
Annachie wrote:Reversed the change in the sanctions on Cuba.

Cubans who fled Castro are a huge Republican voting block in the swing state of Florida and they like sanctions. Most Republicans would do the same thing. This would be the influence of his DC type staff. I doubt Trump cares.

I don't think sanctions were working well but now more money is flowing into the island to prop up the corrupt regime which seems even worse. I am not sure there is a good solution. Perhaps when the old guys die and are replaced by the younger generation.

Sanctions set in place around 1955 to force Fidel out of the presidency, 50+ years later Fidel retires turns over government to brother. Yeah, I think my 5yo great grand daughter could figure that one out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Aparenty said that Comey wasn't to be trusted on the Russian interference thing because he is a proven liar.
President Trump, and his administration, the current gold standard for Presidential untruthfulness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:52 am

gcomeau
Admiral

He *once again* publicly declared he believes Putin over his own intelligence services on the question of whether Putin had his people launch a cyber warfare attack on the US elections.

Because you know... the guy who regularly his political adversaries imprisoned and assassinated is a stand up trustworthy guy. Not like all those fake news intelligence analysts in his own intelligence apparatus.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:37 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Ok, if anyone can think of a single reason for lifting the ban on importing elephant ivory and lion head trophies besides "Obama had that ban and I want to reverse it because he had it and I'm a soulless asshole"..... I'm all ears.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

That one is simple gcom.

Have you seen pictures of his place in Trump towers?

He wants to import some for himself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Daryl   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Possibly something quite simpler again. He has two sons who enjoy big game hunting. "Hey Dad, this customs asshole won't pass my trophies. I told him who I am, and who you are, but he keeps saying that it's the law. Change the law please Dad".

gcomeau wrote:Ok, if anyone can think of a single reason for lifting the ban on importing elephant ivory and lion head trophies besides "Obama had that ban and I want to reverse it because he had it and I'm a soulless asshole"..... I'm all ears.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:24 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Pretty sure apointing Alex Azar as health secretary will be a mistake.

After all, if you're apointing someone to be ‘a star for better healthcare and lower drug prices’, best not to appoint someone with a history of trippling the price of insulin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by biochem   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:57 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Ok, if anyone can think of a single reason for lifting the ban on importing elephant ivory and lion head trophies besides "Obama had that ban and I want to reverse it because he had it and I'm a soulless asshole"..... I'm all ears.

There is a theory among some conservation groups that if you monitize them it will give the locals a reason to preserve them. Right now if you are an African farmer the monetary incentives strongly favor poaching. Elephants trample the crops and lions eat the calves and goats. Stirong incentive with that alone add in a payment from Chinese importers looking for traditional medicine components and the incentives lean even more strongly toward poaching. Conservation is a rich 1st world thing. Subsistence farmers in Africa are just trying to survive.

The theory is that if you allow big game hunting with trophies the long term monetary incentives will shift toward keeping a viable breeding population alive to keep the money rolling in. The idea is that you could educate the locals that long term prosperity ( permenant big game industry) outweighs the short term gain ( have big game hunters kill them now).

It may or may not work but right now the locals have every reason to want every elephant and lion outside of a National Park dead (the economics are different within the parks, western safari tourists provide an economic incentive toward preservation in those specific locations and thus while poaching is a major problem the locals employed as guides, souvenir sellers etc have an economic incentive to stop the poachers not to help the poachers).

Return to Politics