Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Sequel news!

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Sequel news!
Post by John Prigent   » Sun May 13, 2012 6:07 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

DW has tweeted that he's signed up for a sequel!
Cheers
John
Re: Sequel news!
Post by JohnS   » Sun May 13, 2012 1:05 pm

JohnS
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

John Prigent wrote:DW has tweeted that he's signed up for a sequel!
Cheers
John

I enjoyed the first book, so I'm up for a continuation.

Maybe werewolves will show up to act as shock trooops. (Stirring up trouble, you say? Moi?)
Post by Thirdbase   » Sun May 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Thirdbase
Admiral

Cheers
John

Not sure if that is good news or not.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by grendel_one   » Mon May 14, 2012 4:24 am

grendel_one
Captain (Junior Grade)

will there be a co-author?
Post by Emo Otaku   » Mon May 14, 2012 7:09 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

I can see that ol' Vlad arrives over the Shongairi and starts to open fire, only to be attacked by Shongairi Vampires.

So for a few centuries the spacelanes are filled with ships full of warring vampires
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

It is bad news.
It means that he won't write something else.
Out Of The Dark is the least admired of all his books.
This is Very Bad News!

HTM, fan of Sharona/Arcana and Honorverse

Thirdbase wrote:
Cheers
John

Post by FriarBob   » Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Oh come on now. We all have our preferences. I know you like the multiverse series and would love to see another. I wouldn't. But if he writes it (and, of course, if Linda recovers enough to do her part), I'll probably read it anyway.

It's not the end of the world, man. And even if it was, whining about it AFTER he's signed up for the book doesn't exactly do much good, does it? The decision is made, the opinion of one nobody on the forum (mine OR yours) doesn't mean jack squat anymore.

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:It is bad news.
It means that he won't write something else.
Out Of The Dark is the least admired of all his books.
This is Very Bad News!

HTM, fan of Sharona/Arcana and Honorverse

Thirdbase wrote:
Cheers
John

Post by thinkstoomuch   » Wed May 16, 2012 12:37 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

FriarBob wrote:...snip...

It's not the end of the world, man. And even if it was, whining about it AFTER he's signed up for the book doesn't exactly do much good, does it? The decision is made, the opinion of one nobody on the forum (mine OR yours) doesn't mean jack squat anymore.

Ah, but does one opinion if mean anyless? :-)

In fairness I never have been able to finish any of the Multiverse books. I must have started the thing about 100 times seems like. For some reason I have never been able to read it. Which is shocking as I can read all his others at least once a year including OoD. Once I bought it had a hard time buying it because I dislike TOR's old e-book policies so much and all the negative hoopla araound its release.

Matter of fact I just purchased the audio version of and am listening to it as I Type. <shrug>

Different strokes differ folks and all that.

Enjoy,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by dwatts13   » Thu May 17, 2012 6:47 am

dwatts13
Midshipman

I won't be reading this one, thank you. I like my science fiction to be SCIENCE fiction. I don't care how far you have to stretch the edges to make it fit, but give a science explanation. Having a twilight dawn experience to finish (up to that point) an outstanding book about cultural disconnects and asymetric warfare really just ruined the whole experience. I did NOT find the paperback cover to be enlightening enough and because of my fondness for Mr Weber's science fiction - I didn't read the back anyway until in my confusion at the appearance of a fantasy character I did a quick check. I have no problem with reading fantasy and fantasy characters, but let's keep the genres separate. There were (in the scope of the book) at least a half dozen or more possible science fiction routes that could have been taken to finish this book, but why Mr Weber would imagine that a reader that has identified with the struggles and accomplishments of multiple military characters to defend humanity would want a "vampire?" to suddenly be mankinds salvation from the aliens is just beyond me. As others have written the biggest disappointment is the "cute" way that he purposely sprang the "surprise" ending on the readers without backstory or development aka Mr Shyamalan. In this I am showing my regard for Mr Weber as I don't believe that he would use such a ploy to finish a story he was "stuck" on just to satisfy a deadline with a publisher.
In the end though the story was great until Vlad the Impaler becomes the solution and then it stunk, overall ruined the whole storyline and guaranteed itself on my do not read list for further developments.
Post by Emo Otaku   » Thu May 17, 2012 7:08 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

dwatts13 wrote:I won't be reading this one, thank you. I like my science fiction to be SCIENCE fiction. I don't care how far you have to stretch the edges to make it fit, but give a science explanation. Having a twilight dawn experience to finish (up to that point) an outstanding book about cultural disconnects and asymetric warfare really just ruined the whole experience.

<SNIP>

Arthur C. Clarke wrote:Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Schlock Mercenary wrote:Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun

Just because its a vampire doesn't mean that they don't have science involved somehow, maybe they are an envolved species of human, who knows
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane

Return to Out of the Dark