Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Sequel news!

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Sequel news!
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:17 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:39 am
Location: South Carolina

For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.

For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

And now:

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:


"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by Joat42   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Joat42
Commodore

Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am
Location: Sweden

runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.

For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

And now:

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:

I just think people has been brainwashed what a vampire is by the Bram Stoker version and the Vampire romanticism Anne Rice and et al started.

And to the people saying vampirism doesn't belong in SF, are you sure that you can't create a "vampire" by for example injecting special purpose nanites in a person?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by Lunan   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:04 pm

Lunan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:06 am

runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.

For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

Thank you Sir.
By any chance is there news on OTHER sequels to other books?
And now:

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by pushmar   » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:33 am

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Moscow, Idaho

Joat42 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.

For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

And now:

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:

I just think people has been brainwashed what a vampire is by the Bram Stoker version and the Vampire romanticism Anne Rice and et al started.

And to the people saying vampirism doesn't belong in SF, are you sure that you can't create a "vampire" by for example injecting special purpose nanites in a person?


Guess iI'll have to give it a re-read.
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by RunsInShadows   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 am

RunsInShadows
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:12 pm
Location: New Hampshire

runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.

For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

And now:

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:


Yes please! More, more, more!
RIS

"Ack!" I said. Fearless master of the witty dialogue, that's me.
― Harry Dresden, Changes by Jim butcher
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by blind_pyro   » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:10 am

blind_pyro
Ensign

Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:53 pm
Location: Kansas City, USA

runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.
There was enough for me to see it so I didn't feel blindsided. Still, I was trying to figure out how they took the bases and remembered the seemingly unique human ability to feel/hear the countergrav system. I was kind of disappointed that humans appeared to take the bases by use of something the doggies had not seen before as opposed to them being outsmarted. I emphasize the word appeared. (It may be cliché but I love it when the bad guys are arrogant and get that arrogance shoved down their throats.)
runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

And now:

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:
The “for a very good reason” seems a good way to get speculation running again…I would want the sequel just because you have piqued my curiosity with that phrase but I’m curious how the whole thing turns out anyway because I love stories. Frankly, I care more about stories than characters. Do we take the doggies’ planets, push them back to their home world? Does the rest of the galaxy let us do this or do we need to beat down the rest of the galaxy? I’m sure the a number of “client” races would like to help us just to help themselves.
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by WeberFan   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:57 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 am

JohnS wrote:
John Prigent wrote:DW has tweeted that he's signed up for a sequel!
Cheers
John


I enjoyed the first book, so I'm up for a continuation.

Maybe werewolves will show up to act as shock trooops. (Stirring up trouble, you say? Moi?)

Looking forward to seeing what happens when Vlad et al arrive over the puppies' home world in their own ships and surprise the heck out of them!

Some may not care for the book - it was (after all) wholly unlike anything else Celery Chomper has written... But I got a kick out of it because it was different. ;)
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:33 pm

gcomeau
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Emo Otaku wrote:Just because its a vampire doesn't mean that they don't have science involved somehow, maybe they are an envolved species of human, who knows


Not with the capabilities they were described to have. Not possible by any credible stretch of Sci Fi imagination.


Nope, this was an introduction of magic to the story. Plain and simple. (Or they're a crazily advanced alien race pretending to be humans for some reason and doing all this with some kind of super nano-tech or something which is also capable of essentially rebuilding humans and giving them the same capabilities...)



Which I found a little jarring but it was fun to read so I let it go... little skeptical about a sequel myself though...
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by Finn   » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Finn
Midshipman

Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:17 pm

gcomeau wrote:
Not with the capabilities they were described to have. Not possible by any credible stretch of Sci Fi imagination.


Nope, this was an introduction of magic to the story. Plain and simple. (Or they're a crazily advanced alien race pretending to be humans for some reason and doing all this with some kind of super nano-tech or something which is also capable of essentially rebuilding humans and giving them the same capabilities...)



I agree with the nanotechnology bit, for instance Iain banks' culture could have easily reproduced all the demonstrated abilities of vlad. Also note, you don't actually see the conversion process so you have no guarantee the vampires inhabit the same "chassis" they started in (nor even whether it's organic or mechanical), only that the newly converted "feel" a fairly powerful but strangely vague pain after the process. And that might even be a side effect of whatever trauma happened beforehand (like phantom pain in a missing limb). Also that whatever is used in the conversion is portable with vlad or an innate ability.

My biggest issue with that theory was the apparent lack of tech knowledge prior to supposedly being educated via the neural interfaces. Vlad could have been lying, but the only reason for that would be to mislead his converts.
Top
Re: Sequel news!
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2040
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

...looking back, I'm shocked (shocked I say!) that no-one seems to have complained that Vlad didn't sparkle...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Top

Return to Out of the Dark