Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Sequel news!

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Sequel news!
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Any update on the sequel or are we still stuck in the Dark?
Post by Fiannawolf   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Fiannawolf
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

“Vegetables, what food eats before it becomes food.”
― David Weber, Out of the Dark

What can I say I love quirky books.
Post by coldsteel   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:39 am

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

WeberFan wrote:Some may not care for the book - it was (after all) wholly unlike anything else Celery Chomper has written... But I got a kick out of it because it was different. ;)

Agreed.
Post by Terranovan   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Terranovan
Ensign

kbus888 wrote:Hi guys

I WILL buy the second book of this series BECAUSE it is so different from the other Weber authored series I have read.

The ending of this book came as a complete surprise to me, and I like surprises !!

Lead on RFC, lead on !!

R

+1. Well, maybe not on the guaranteed purchase part. But the surprise was an upside because it gave me an excuse to read the book again and this time see the foreshadowing for what it is.
I doubt that RFC will reply to this with anything more than a grin and "Tum, te, tum, te, tum..."
Post by dura_ace   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 pm

dura_ace
Midshipman

[quote="runsforcelery"

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:[/quote]

Dave
Just write the sequel; it will sell. There are certain flks that cant take bringing vampires into sci-fi-i....but as as been poinyted out Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic , so bring it on . But whatever you do- write the sequel..Out of the Dark was a great book.I'm reading it now for the fourth time.
Larry Broken Arrow OK
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

dura_ace wrote:[quote="runsforcelery"

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum :twisted:

Dave
Just write the sequel; it will sell. There are certain flks that cant take bringing vampires into sci-fi-i....but as as been poinyted out Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic , so bring it on . But whatever you do- write the sequel..Out of the Dark was a great book.I'm reading it now for the fourth time.
Larry Broken Arrow OK[/quote]

The problem is not vampires, the problem is that the vampires render the actions of the humans basically moot. All that time devoted to the humans that played no part in the victory.

This would have been a good short story, not a novel.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
The problem is not vampires, the problem is that the vampires render the actions of the humans basically moot. All that time devoted to the humans that played no part in the victory.

This would have been a good short story, not a novel.
I seem to recall it was better in its short story form. I read it in the 2010 anthology 'Warriors' before the novel version came out.

(And at least that meant in the novel I already knew what the twist would be to it didn't annoy me when the human resistance was largely rendered irrelevant)
Post by Snow Tiger   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Snow Tiger
Midshipman

runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.

For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

And now:

I first read this book cold. I had seen nothing about it, I just picked up a copy. After the plane crash in the Balkans when one group of protags meets, erm, New Blood, and there are introductions, I stopped... and re-read those names. And said "He can't be serious." and went and confirmed what I'd dimly remembered from a long-past history class. Yep. From there on in I started noticing other little hints, and knew damn well that this was a vampire story, way, way, WAY before the Big Reveal. There were a _lot_ of hints. ('Transylvania County', forsooth!) and having read a few other Weber books I was well aware of his fondness for fun with names. I cannot understand how anyone who has any experience at all with Weber books could possibly not notice the little hints. It's one of the things I look for, the way that I look for rock lyrics in S.M. Stirling's books. (Quick: which book had 'John at the bar was a friend of hers'; extra credit for knowing the song he got that line from. Hint: there's a piano man involved.)

I joined this forum specifically to post on this thread. I just can't believe all the negativity. I really can't.
Post by Isilith   » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:57 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Snow Tiger wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:For those of you who disliked the book so utterly, I can only say that I did my damnedest to provide the foreshadowing that should have told you what was coming . . . and that didn't even count the dedication.

For those of you who want sequels, I would love to write another one (and that's what TOR has/had in mind), but for the moment my TOR "slots" are pretty well filled with Safehold books.

And for all of you, just where in the novel did I once tell you what vampirism really was and how it worked? I don't seem to recall doing that . . . for a very good reason.

And now:

I first read this book cold. I had seen nothing about it, I just picked up a copy. After the plane crash in the Balkans when one group of protags meets, erm, New Blood, and there are introductions, I stopped... and re-read those names. And said "He can't be serious." and went and confirmed what I'd dimly remembered from a long-past history class. Yep. From there on in I started noticing other little hints, and knew damn well that this was a vampire story, way, way, WAY before the Big Reveal. There were a _lot_ of hints. ('Transylvania County', forsooth!) and having read a few other Weber books I was well aware of his fondness for fun with names. I cannot understand how anyone who has any experience at all with Weber books could possibly not notice the little hints. It's one of the things I look for, the way that I look for rock lyrics in S.M. Stirling's books. (Quick: which book had 'John at the bar was a friend of hers'; extra credit for knowing the song he got that line from. Hint: there's a piano man involved.)

I joined this forum specifically to post on this thread. I just can't believe all the negativity. I really can't.

While I agree that the hints came early and often, Transylvania county wasn't one of them. It is real, and right beside the described hide out of the WNC resistance leaders.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Isilith wrote:... snip... I agree that the hints came early and often, Transylvania county wasn't one of them. It is real, and right beside the described hide out of the WNC resistance leaders.

Except it is, since he could have picked any nubrper of other real places, and chose Transylvania County -- Please.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Out of the Dark