Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Alternate ending / solution

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Alternate ending / solution
Post by Star Roamer   » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:54 am

Star Roamer
Midshipman

The vampires were a complete surprise to me. Here's what I *thought* was going to happen.

It seemed to me that the humans' ability to sense the alien contragrav tech was not strictly audible, but more of a direct mental sense. I expected the Neural Educator to tweak this unique human ability in some way. When the first Shongairi base was wiped out and the aliens were 'ripped apart', I was expecting that the neural educator didn't just enhance their ability to sense the contragrav, but actually gave them the ability to manipulate it. In essence, when the aliens used it on the humans, they gave them PK powers, which the humans then used to destroy them. They took the educators to spread the ability to other humans.

Now maybe this alternative would be considered a Deus Ex Machina also, but I think it would have been a better solution.

Paul.
Re: Alternate ending / solution
Post by Garth 2   » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:22 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

I would have preferred that the first book ended on a cliff hanger, the bio-weapon being released and the bulk of the fleet (but not the manufacturing ships) moving on to the next target.

Then follow-up with another book(s), showing the consequences.
i.e. The bio-weapon had either a beneficial (e.g. Apocalypse Troll) or zero effect (i.e. the Shongairi missed something). Humanities resistance force then fight back, capture the manufacturing ships and establish a world goverment. So when the Shongairi returned they found a thriving Earth (with more advance technology) waiting for them.
Post by Howitt   » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Howitt
Midshipman

I thought it was just me. I have loved nearly everything I have read from this author, whether hard sci-fi or fantasy. But this was just too much, or should I say too little. As many of you, I thought I had this figured out. I thought what was going to happen was that the psychology issue that was being developed concerning the failure of the humans to properly submit would be turned around, the Ground Base Commanders would conclude that they had to submit because the humans were just slaughtering their troops and material, the humans would take the shuttles back up to the ships, come in firing some sort of poison gas to finish the puppies off, and then the story would end the way it ended, with humans being some time period away from mastering the new technology, and going back to visit the Hegemony and straighten them out.

Instead, this cheesy thing about vampires (and I know nothing about vampires, not being someone who enjoys monster fiction) as if he had no idea of how to end the story. I can't create the way a professional writer can, but I bet you guys like my ending better than his. I will still read his other series but I am staying away from anything new unless I carefully check it out.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I thought the other alien species causing problems would have been better, something hiding on Earth. While it could turnout that Vlad is an Alien hiding on Earth.
Post by mohsinj677   » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 am

mohsinj677
Midshipman

But around the world there are many different legends of Boogiemen, some of them not so warm and cuddly as ol' Vlad
Mohsin
Post by kbus888   » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:10 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2013-12-21=
Hi mohsinj677

WELCOME to the forums !!

I hope you enjoy visiting us often and we welcome your comments.

R

mohsinj677 wrote:But around the world there are many different legends of Boogiemen, some of them not so warm and cuddly as ol' Vlad
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

No big bad hiding on earth. Out of the dark came the Aliens, what I thought the book was going to be about.

They leave after shooting the place up when the others come to see what was happening. Earth gets quarantined and we wallow around for a little while. Using captured tech to boost us up a bit.

Of course that is the sad ending.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Lord Skimper wrote:No big bad hiding on earth. Out of the dark came the Aliens, what I thought the book was going to be about.

They leave after shooting the place up when the others come to see what was happening. Earth gets quarantined and we wallow around for a little while. Using captured tech to boost us up a bit.

Uh, guys, there was always an alternate explanation for what happened. I mean, it did happen exactly the way I wrote it. It just wasn't exactly what Buchevsky and Dvorak — or even Vlad — thought was happening. It's just a teeny bit more complicated than a lot of people seem to have been assuming.

Now that the sequel's been completed, a little bit of that complication has been peeled back. Not all of it, of course. :twisted:

Just saying. :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Spoz   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:21 am

Spoz
Ensign

runsforcelery wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:No big bad hiding on earth. Out of the dark came the Aliens, what I thought the book was going to be about.

Uh, guys, there was always an alternate explanation for what happened. I mean, it did happen exactly the way I wrote it. It just wasn't exactly what Buchevsky and Dvorak — or even Vlad — thought was happening. It's just a teeny bit more complicated than a lot of people seem to have been assuming.

Now that the sequel's been completed, a little bit of that complication has been peeled back. Not all of it, of course. :twisted:

Now David, that’s just nasty! There we were, innocent little readers thinking we understood the first book and waiting impatiently for the sequel when along comes the author and destroys all our illusions..... :shock:
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:29 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Spoz wrote:

runsforcelery wrote:Uh, guys, there was always an alternate explanation for what happened. I mean, it did happen exactly the way I wrote it. It just wasn't exactly what Buchevsky and Dvorak — or even Vlad — thought was happening. It's just a teeny bit more complicated than a lot of people seem to have been assuming.

Now David, that’s just nasty! There we were, innocent little readers thinking we understood the first book and waiting impatiently for the sequel when along comes the author and destroys all our illusions..... :shock:

A modest talent, but my own . . . :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Out of the Dark