Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

To Challenge Heaven (Out of the Dark Book 3) 1/16/24

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: To Challenge Heaven (Out of the Dark Book 3) 1/16/24
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:55 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

It is up on the Apple iBooks store as well. Downloaded and read it. It is shorter than the first 2 books in the series.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by phillies   » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:02 pm

phillies
Admiral

Tregonsee wrote:Dropped on Kindle yesterday evening. Ruined a good night's sleep. :D

I received the hardback yesterday and read it. It was a bit thinner than a traditional Weber novel, but it was as always well-written.
Post by Tregonsee   » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:48 am

Tregonsee
Ensign

I received the hardback yesterday and read it. It was a bit thinner than a traditional Weber novel, but it was as always well-written.[/quote]

By RFC's standards, a short story. It did nicely tie up a lot of loose ends, while leaving the possibility of a later book should time, health, and interest permit.
Post by ecortez   » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:16 pm

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Tregonsee wrote:By RFC's standards, a short story. It did nicely tie up a lot of loose ends, while leaving the possibility of a later book should time, health, and interest permit.

I doubt he would've done three books only to stop at this point in the story. If necessary the series could be concluded with one oversized book covering what happens when the Terrans and the Hegemony finally clash head-on. Backstory like what happened to the fifth founding race could be revealed and everything tied up. They should at least do that much.
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:18 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Tregonsee wrote:I received the hardback yesterday and read it. It was a bit thinner than a traditional Weber novel, but it was as always well-written.

By RFC's standards, a short story. It did nicely tie up a lot of loose ends, while leaving the possibility of a later book should time, health, and interest permit.[/quote]

I was not impressed.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Out of the Dark