Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

The last $15 I'll spend on a David Weber book

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: The last $15 I'll spend on a David Weber book
Post by Uroboros   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

Lord Skimper wrote:16 minutes first post, 17 minutes second first post. Wonder if it was the same guy?

As for $15 I only paid $10 and I live in Expensive Canada.

... Why are we still commenting on a four year old thread?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

We have to make sure the horse is well and truly dead at times..... :D

Uroboros wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:16 minutes first post, 17 minutes second first post. Wonder if it was the same guy?

As for $15 I only paid $10 and I live in Expensive Canada.

`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by biochem   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:37 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

While we're waiting for the new books to come out, we're all re-reading the old ones. I've been reading the Dahak ones myself.
Post by Abaddon   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Abaddon
Commander

I read the novella recently (in an anthology) and I quite enjoyed the ending. I actually laughed out loud and said "well played Weber, well played" out loud. My wife asked me what was so funny and I said the story I was reading just trolled me.

That said, I get the feeling if I had read the novel, I would not have been as amused. I think this might be something that works better in a shorter format.

I will probably read the novel some day, just to see what the fleshed-out story reads like, but it would be a different experience going in that way of course.

(I know this is an old thread, but since I had not read the story until recently, it is a new topic for me, and I had not seen this particular thought mentioned).
Post by LadyPhoenix   » Mon May 25, 2015 10:51 am

LadyPhoenix
Midshipman

I really enjoyed this book for a number of reasons.

I will admit that the vampires were very Deus ex Machina adding supernatural to beat science but there were clues and it should have been avoidable if the aliens had not shown they were in the end very human and flawed.

The aliens broke their own laws.
The aliens attacked without bothering to do their homework and proper research
the aliens had the blindness that so many human cultures have of assuming everyone is like them.
They even failed to properly research the technology and heavily underestimated the enemy which is why they lost most skirmishes or took very unproportional casualties.

It was a poetic Justice and a commentary on a very human set of expectations and mistakes that turned on them. When you add that to the cultural references, hints and Dracula jokes, it becomes a very enjoyable book. This is not to say that I want sequel or it is one of his best but like all his stories, it is one that I will read multiple times and pick up on occasion for a relaxing re-reread (Unlike my honor books that are all worn from repeated readings).
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Abaddon wrote:I read the novella recently (in an anthology) and I quite enjoyed the ending. I actually laughed out loud and said "well played Weber, well played" out loud. My wife asked me what was so funny and I said the story I was reading just trolled me.

That said, I get the feeling if I had read the novel, I would not have been as amused. I think this might be something that works better in a shorter format.

I will probably read the novel some day, just to see what the fleshed-out story reads like, but it would be a different experience going in that way of course.

(I know this is an old thread, but since I had not read the story until recently, it is a new topic for me, and I had not seen this particular thought mentioned).

Second this. I've only read the novel but my opinion was that it would have been much better as a short story than as a novel.
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:11 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I am not quite sure here as my feeble minds eye wanders a bit nowadays but I think first I was pissed, then I had a very good belly laugh at my own expense when I finished the book.

It was like the book gave some hints along the way I did get and understand, but I chose to ignore them and continued reading the book. Then at one point in time in the book ...

...It all came together for me, but I had to work at it. A whole novel that took time and effort to write was just one big giant one liner leading up to the big funny joke?

I should have known when excellent writing methods were being re employeed. Mr. David Weber got me a very good one that time. Thank you Mr. Weber. I love being set up like that. Just me. Respectfully. HB
Post by Max   » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:22 am

Max
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

:(

I too was very disappointed when I finished this book. I will read punk horror fantasy when I am in the mood for it, but I really want a lot of warning before I do. There was a little foreshadowing here but no where near enough. It almost looks like a Zilazny cut-off -- a "I don't know how to work the story out of the corner I've written it into, so it's time to punt..." ending and then sprinkle a few excuses into the back story...

It's in my "re-read next decade or later" pile and it would be in the trash except that it is a reminder to check the ending before buying his next book.
Post by dscott8   » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:44 am

dscott8
Commodore

Capnslag wrote:Well, this book got me to sign up on the forum . I am halfway through the novel. I only have one burning question. Why did David Weber put his name on a John Ringo story ?

I am a fan of both writers and have read most of thier works. But I can't shake the feeling that this is a Ringo novel.

Because of Ringo's collabs with Weber, I tried a few of his other books and struck an S&M sexfest scantily draped in an adventure plot. Gave up on him.
Post by coldsteel   » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:11 pm

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

dscott8 wrote:
Capnslag wrote:Well, this book got me to sign up on the forum . I am halfway through the novel. I only have one burning question. Why did David Weber put his name on a John Ringo story ?

I am a fan of both writers and have read most of thier works. But I can't shake the feeling that this is a Ringo novel.

Because of Ringo's collabs with Weber, I tried a few of his other books and struck an S&M sexfest scantily draped in an adventure plot. Gave up on him.

That's only that one series. The vast majority of his work is nowhere near as bad as the Kildara series.

Return to Out of the Dark