Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

The last $15 I'll spend on a David Weber book

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: The last $15 I'll spend on a David Weber book
Post by kbus888   » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

I've not read ALL of <DW>'s books, but the ones I have read encourage me to continue.

I really enjoy his stories :-)

R

Elisabeth wrote:I loved it as well. And I also loved all the little jokes and references. After the first few, I was looking out for them, and got real pleasure when I picked up on one, though I probably missed a lot more than I spotted.

I thought I could see what was coming at the end, but was actually quite shocked when I realised I had guessed correctly. I thought it was excellent and so different from all the other DW I have read.
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I was pretty sure i knew when they were talking about being able to sneak up without a sound and the impallings. But the idea that they could have been another form of alien gave me second thoughts.

At that point it could have gone any kind of way.
Post by 7thsealord   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:00 am

7thsealord
Commander

I quite enjoyed 'Out Of The Dark', even with the supernatural element and (more of an issue for me) the somewhat tired 'Alien Invaders Who REALLY Underestimate Humans' theme.

{Not saying, mind you, that I am at all interested in reading about Alien Invaders who DON'T make this particular mistake. For me, that would probably be a short and very depressing read. ;) )

There are several authors whose work I tend to like, DW being one. It does not follow, however, that I must like every single work of same. There is stuff I like that others might consider c##p, plus other things that people might consider brilliant but I wouldn't touch (except maybe at gunpoint). The possibility of either does not bother me.

As often happens, it's in the eye of the beholder. If just a single work places a previously favourite author beyond the pale for someone .... well, that is up to that person.
----------------------------------------------------

“I want my epitaph to be ‘Doggone If He Wasn’t Trying His Best’.”
“I want mine to be ‘We Buried What Pieces We Could Find’.”

Wondermark
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

From a $15 POV one could always buy a used book, particularly if one is new to the series it is often hard to find early books. Typically used books are paperback and can be purchased for $4 to $5. These can be sold or traded back for $1 to $2 cash or credit also reducing the cost of reading these Excellent books. A now there are the digital versions of books that are coming out. Reducing the cost in many ways. A main benefit of digital books are magazines. Which tend to cost very little compared to the hard copy version. A don't need a box to store them.

Of course if you are really cheap you can read these books at the library.

Library: big building full of books and quiet people.
Post by 7thsealord   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm

7thsealord
Commander

Lord Skimper wrote:Of course if you are really cheap you can read these books at the library.

Library: big building full of books and quiet people.

If you are really cheap, you borrow said books from a friend.
----------------------------------------------------

“I want my epitaph to be ‘Doggone If He Wasn’t Trying His Best’.”
“I want mine to be ‘We Buried What Pieces We Could Find’.”

Wondermark
Post by goglen   » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:12 pm

goglen
Ensign

I ran across a copy of this, and have to admit that I could see how few pages were left and it was hopeless - thus the sudden "magic" ending was a bit like "oh, the author just gave up and jumped the shark".

However, when them flying off to seek revenge on the universe, I thought I'd look for a sequel.

Then, I realized I already had one of his books - Path Of The Fury that I'd read years ago... and it had an update. Bought it, liked it, so started searching out more.

Read "Hells Gate" because its sequel had "Fury" in it, thinking it was related. Nope, and disappointed each book ended with no conclusion.

Now, I've just finished "In Death Ground" - a freaking long book and STILL it didn't end!

There is an element of frustration.
Post by Atrox   » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Atrox
Midshipman

I rather liked Out Of The Dark, but then, I avoided Turtledove's Worldwar series, and I saw the Deus ex Machina coming.

But then, I'm a vampire fanboy. :geek:

The Besarab family name was a dead giveaway, if you pardon the pun. :P
Post by Skywatcher44   » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Skywatcher44
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Atrox wrote:I rather liked Out Of The Dark, but then, I avoided Turtledove's Worldwar series, and I saw the Deus ex Machina coming.

But then, I'm a vampire fanboy. :geek:

The Besarab family name was a dead giveaway, if you pardon the pun. :P

I guess I am more of a vampire fanboy than I thought, though the only books about vampires I would have rated in my top 500 books would be Dracula and An Old Friend of the Family. But I saw the ending coming, and recognized all the hints of what was coming.
Post by hulagu   » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:06 am

hulagu
Midshipman

William Elder wrote:I've loved everything up until this point. Maybe that's why the astonishingly-bad deus ex machina in the last twenty pages of this book felt like such a kick in the crotch. I'm gobsmacked that David Weber would let such an astonishingly bad ending go to print.

Screw it. I've spent hundreds of dollars on Weber books in the past, but no more.

Okay, I'll invoke a different but everyone knows him Author, Tom Clancy and the book "Patriot Games" somewhat early in the Jack Ryan progression.

That book alone I could not complete.

Then I saw the Movie.

I enjoyed the book substantially but only After seeing the Movie....

Which Most of my friends couldn't stand.

Both the book and the movie are intensely local Maryland.

I liked the Book "Out of the Dark".
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:20 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

16 minutes first post, 17 minutes second first post. Wonder if it was the same guy?

As for $15 I only paid $10 and I live in Expensive Canada.

Return to Out of the Dark