Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

[Sort of Spoiler] "Translation"-help

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
[Sort of Spoiler] "Translation"-help
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:27 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

At page 280, there's a kind of text I don't understand (and I doubt, that DeepL or Google Translator can cope with it, either)- and I'm no english speaker, but from Germany. So, if someone is able to make it understandable, it would be very appreciated :D - Thank you in advance!

And here's the quote:
"Ah wisnae gang tae bring it oop, ye wee nugget, boot we kedge ye fed us for breakfast - 'grits' did ye ca' thaim? - wisnae sae guid"
Re: [Sort of Spoiler] "Translation"-help
Post by Louis R   » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:30 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

It's Scots, and very broad at that. Well, I suppose it could be from closer to Hexham than Hawick, but either way, it's what English would have been without all the Norman bastardisation.

I'm no expert, so 'nugget' escapes me - other than not being particularly polite - and there's either a word or two missing or a grammatical feature I'm not familiar with, but I would read it as "I wasn't going to bring it up, you bugger, but that crud you fed us for breakfast - 'grits', did you call them? - wasn't all that good"

Eagleeye wrote:At page 280, there's a kind of text I don't understand (and I doubt, that DeepL or Google Translator can cope with it, either)- and I'm no english speaker, but from Germany. So, if someone is able to make it understandable, it would be very appreciated :D - Thank you in advance!

And here's the quote:
"Ah wisnae gang tae bring it oop, ye wee nugget, boot we kedge ye fed us for breakfast - 'grits' did ye ca' thaim? - wisnae sae guid"
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:53 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Thank you - that helps!
Post by FriarBob   » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Nugget can be slang for 'new guy', or can refer to a low-ranking person in a hierarchy.
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

FriarBob wrote:Nugget can be slang for 'new guy', or can refer to a low-ranking person in a hierarchy.

In American English certainly, but the Scottish National Dictionary suggests either 'a short, stout-bellied person' or 'a term of opprobrium for a thick-headed boy'

Here I would guess it's the second, suggesting Jeffries isn't as smart or sophisticated as he thinks he is. But mainly just to be taken as a general purpose insult.
Post by Iorwerth   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Iorwerth
Ensign

Randomiser wrote:
FriarBob wrote:Nugget can be slang for 'new guy', or can refer to a low-ranking person in a hierarchy.

In American English certainly, but the Scottish National Dictionary suggests either 'a short, stout-bellied person' or 'a term of opprobrium for a thick-headed boy'

Here I would guess it's the second, suggesting Jeffries isn't as smart or sophisticated as he thinks he is. But mainly just to be taken as a general purpose insult.

No need to guess...

““A nugget is flying this craft? What kind of a nugget?” Romero asked, and the woman chuckled. “Sorry, that’s slang for a new pilot. Like a diamond, my two pilots need a little more polish—and perhaps some additional pressure—to become fully-qualified.””

“. VIII . SÃO SALVADOR DA BAHIA DE TODOS OS SANTOS, BAHIA, BRAZIL”
(p.70 in my Kindle version)

— Into the Light (Out of the Dark Book 2) by David Weber, Chris Kennedy
https://amzn.eu/218Tvsp
--------------------
yma o hyd

Cymru am byth
Re: [New Spoiler] "Translation"-help
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:41 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:

In the scene the OP asked about it’s the second, because ‘wee nugget’ is Scots English and in the scene with the pilots it’s US English, so the first.

[new spoiler]

This is the only book I can think of where homophones are a plot point.

Return to Out of the Dark